Karma Charger: Continuing the Journey

THE CATALYST

You know you've been out of the gym for too long when you get a call from your trainer like the one I got last week... it went a little something like this:

Him: Hey! Dudette! Did you get my email?

Me: Email? What email? You don't have email?

Him: The one with the directions to the gym....

Me: I'll be there tomorrow...

And so, I went in after a three-week hiatus and realised that the break did me good but I lost a little bit of strength in my chest (warmed up with 17.5lbs instead of 20 and finished with 25 instead of 27.5) and my shoulders (started with 8 instead of 10 and finished with 15 instead of 17.5) but my back, my biceps and triceps were stronger than ever. I was able to pound out my triceps without any of the usual pain in my elbows. It felt good to be back.

A TIME FOR RENEWAL

After so many years in school, September always feels like the start of a New Year to me. So today I am renewing my commitment to take care of myself, eat well and stay active. I've lost some weight over the summer by eating healthy and staying active outside of the gym. I'm hoping to continue on this path.

THE PLAN

I've decided to cut down my weight training for the next few months and workout at the gym only two or three times a week. I've signed up for dance and soccer classes and will throw a yoga class in the mix. I want to stay active but no longer want to live in the gym. I'm going to test this new way of life and see how it works for me.

In terms of eating, I'm trying to transition to eating as close to a 100% macrobiotic and vegan diet. I gave up dairy four months ago with absolutely no regrets!! Since I started my transition to macrobiotics I've lost 3.4 kg. That might not seem like much but it came off slowly and has stayed off.

GOALS

My first short term goal is to stop eating in restaurants. I will allow myself one bought lunch and one dinner out in the entire week. If I want to share a meal with friends, it will have to be one we cook together. I am starting a new job tomorrow that's much closer to home. It will be so easy for me to come home for lunch if I want to.

I've decided to use my birthday (Oct 10) as goal marker. I'm devoting the next 40 days to eating healthy and staying active. I am going to try to lose between 6 and 10 lbs between now and then.

POTENTIAL CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS

I find it useful at work to anticipate risks and mitigate them early on. I'm going to try to do that with this program.

Here are some challenges I might encounter:

Potential Challenge: Up coming travel might make it hard to prepare own meals.

Solution: Make the travel days the one lunch/one dinner exception. Bring food where possible.

Potential Challenge: Lack of time.

Solution: Invest time up front to prepare each week. Make this project a high priority.

Potential Challenge: Eventual lack of motivation.

Solution: Identify one person every week from whom I find inspiration. Look at what they're accomplishing and see what I can learn.

KEY COMPONENTS

If this is going to work I have to ensure that I make the following a priority:

- FUN: If I'm not enjoying it, I won't stick with it. I'm going to make a point of remembering how good it feels to wake up early and walk to the gym while the streets are quiet and the sun is coming up. I'm going to remember how much fun I have with the morning crew at the gym and how good it always is to see them... etc.

- SLEEP: I have to make sleep a priority which means getting to bed on time. I also have to acknowledge that if I wake up with the sun, I might not be tired. I might not always need 8 hours and if I've woken up after only being asleep for 6 that might be enough for that day.

- JOURNAL: Writing it down keeps me honest.

- REWARD: Celebrating all my accomplishments in all aspects of my life and feeling good about what I'm doing.

DAY 1

Today's goals:

- Go to a yoga class

- Meal plan for week

- Grocery shop

- Prep food for today and part of tomorrow

- Get to bed early

- Prepare for weight training tomorrow

Thanks for reading!

Day 1

Exercise:

1.5 Hour Yoga class. It was awesome!!

Food:

Brown rice w/ a pear and raisins and cinnamon

Soba noodles w/ mixed vegetables and tofu

Tofu sandwich on rye bread

Kukicha tea

Apple cider

Challenge:

Every few years I get really bad vertigo and it can last anywhere from 8 months to 18 months. It's back with a vengeance as of a few days ago. I feel really nauseous and off-balance all the time. Right now I feel like I could fall off the couch... I didn't know if yoga was the best thing for me... given how much balance is involved but it was just what I needed.

Motivation/Inspiration:

This kid got me motivated today...

He made cancer his bitch.

Day 2

Exercise:

Early-morning cardio 35 minutes

Food:

Almond butter w/ fruit spread on rye toast

Brown rice sushi w/ tofu, cucumbers, pickles, shallots

Collard greens w/ toasted tamari pumpkin seeds and sesame oil

3/4 of an almond apple butter cookie

Broccoli, tofu, squash, brown rice, snow peas and sweet onions

Kukicha tea

Lots of water

Challenge:

I went to the naturopath today and found out I'm fighting a really bad virus. My glands are swollen, my throat is red, my blood pressure is low, I'm running a fever... and I had no clue. All I knew was that I was feeling off... Yikes!

Solution:

I'm thinking of taking off from the gym for the next month and focusing on a yoga practice as my main exercise.

Wish me luck.

Thanks Hayley!

Day 4

Exercise:

None

Food:

Brown rice w/ apples, raisins w/ pumpkin seeds

Tofu sandwich w/ cumbers on rye bread

Broccoli

Soba noodle soup with vegetables

Pita chips w/ guacamole

Lotus root tea

Kukicha tea

Water

Apple cider w/ cinnamon

I had planned to walk home from acupuncture but it was really late and dark and cold when I got out. I went home, had a small snack and went to bed.

Day 5

Exercise:

None

Food:

Brown rice sushi w/ tofu, carrots and pickles

Small french fries (I slipped but damn they were good)

Kale

Aduki beans and squash w/ brown rice

Kukicha tea

Lotus root tea

Apple juice

I signed up for a six-hour yoga workshop on Sunday. I'm very excited about it!!

I was a little bit lazy this week about getting in variety. I'll make sure to get more greens in there and mix up the meals. I love having brown rice for breakfast though. It tastes yummy and makes me feel good.

It's pouring rain outside. I hope the folks at the Raw Food Festival are doing okay. I hope the rain lets up so they can have some sunshine.

This is my favorite weather for staying in with a book and a cup of tea..... Eventually, I'll have to get up.

I think I lost some weight this week but I'll tally it up on Monday....

Thanks Dani! I'm really looking forward to my yoga workshop tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll learn a few things to form the basis for a home practice...

Day 6

Exercise:

Two long walks in the rain

Food:

Brown rice w/ collards, kale, bok choy and pumpkin seeds

Roasted zucchini/fennel salad

Cabbage rolls with tofu, arame and ginger

Aduki beans and squash w/ brown rice

Collards, kale, bok choy

My friend Danielle came over for lunch today and she's on a special cleansing diet and is avoiding all gluten/yeast, sugar, grains etc. I had to cook without tamari and vineagar. It was a real challenge but worked out well. Thankfully, Herbamare is great for flavour. Everything I made was a real hit. She had seconds AND made a list of everything I made so she could reproduce it at home.

Day 7

Exercise:

6 hour yoga workshop (3 hours of yoga)

Food:

Collards, kale, bok choy and pumpkin seeds

Brown rice tofu sushi

Whole wheat pasta w/ roasted zucchini/fennel salad and more greens

Cabbage rolls with tofu, arame and ginger

Kukicha tea

Lotus root tea

Water

Day 8

Exercise:

None

Food:

Rye bread w/ fruit spread and almond butter

Brown rice tofu sushi

Carrots and fennel

1 small bag of Miss Vickie's (I was craving junk... weak moment)

Mixed Fruit Juice

Chickpea, bok choy soup w/ whole wheat pasta

I signed up for a Bollywood dance class that starts next Wednesday and on Wednesday, I'm signing up for a daily yoga practice at a studio close to home. I'm all set!

Oh and I lost just over 1lb since last week. Whoohoooo!

• 5 weeks later...