How do you get flat abs back after childbirth?

I think it helps if you were in good shape before having kids.

Since your abs have been stretched from pregnancy it'll probably take more work than the average person. Do you have a lot of loose skin? My sister got lots of loose skin but she laid on the couch like a slug for 9 months lol.

I myself have never had kids, and don't plan on having any.. so I am really not in the best spot to give advice on that one.

Hey Veganchick;

I don't think there are any post-child birth vegan women on VBB to give you an answer. I know enough from my own unique weight loss experiences and talking with friends who are mothers that you probabally really want an answer from someone who has been in the situation you have been in to give you an answer.

You might try posting your question at veganrepresent.com. That board has a lot more women among its posters, many of whom are moms.

I don't think there are any post-child birth vegan women on VBB to give you an answer.

ahem

I have had five children thus far. Before my first child I had a 23" waist, but I was also only 18. Now it stays around 26 and is always the last to come in!

Every woman is different. Most women like to carry excess fat in their abs, hips and thighs. One of these three areas (or all in some cases) can be difficult to come in. Think of it like a rubber band that keeps getting stretched and stretched, eventually the elasticity gives out.

The abs should be worked like any other muscle group, and you will have to be very low BF in most cases to get them to show. Depending on your genetics, this can be too low BF to really be healthy.

I would recommend concentrating on BW exercises, several sets (3-4) of 2-3 exercises to failure a minimum of 3x's per week.

Lastly, skin takes time to bounce back as well and that may be some of what you see. If you have quite a bit of stretch marks around the abdomen, most likely your skin stretched beyond what it can come back from and thus you get the proud badge of mother hood.

P.S. - inspiration .... I should mention I used my last child as an excuse to eat and eat and eat! I was 184lbs , my fighting weight is now 119 (very easy to maintain) and I go into comp at 110-112.

Edited by SeaSiren

Whoa! On VBB I've been reading a lot of posts from other women. There are women on this site who may know more about training & physiology than on other sites. And I'm sure some of the male trainers on this site have female clients, friends or wives whom they have helped to get their abs back in shape. Am I wrong?

I will check out other web sites though.

SeaSiren-- I just read your post. THANK YOU FOR POSTING! You are awesome! There ARE a lot of women posting on this site. I do wear the badge of motherhood proudly. And my friend who I train with says I could kick his butt any day! I'll try your ab advice today in the gym.

I don't think there are any post-child birth vegan women on VBB to give you an answer.

ahem

EXCUSE ME I made a typo........ I meant to write:

SeaSiren and VeggiePrincess have that whole "mind numbingly hot mom" thing going down, but aside from those two, I can't think of any other mothers on VBB who achieved what you are asking about.

Veganchick.

The web, unfortunately, is still dominated by 20 somethings,American men and the intersection of those two sets of people. There are a lot of nice people here who fit that bill. VBB does have women posters and people older than their 20s. They tend not to be regular posters.

I stay on VBB because unlike many web boards the people are friendly and can handle disagreements without turning 85% of the content into pissing contests.

A lot of nice people here.

I make it a point never to do a woman's talking for her, but I think most of the regulars who are not regular anymore simply got too busy.

Having been in the aforementioned dominant group a long time ago I do appreciate as well as would like to encourage people beyond that age group, encourage women, and non-Americans to post more. I enjoy the different perspectives.

I make it a point never to do a woman's talking for her, but I think most of the regulars who are not regular anymore simply got too busy.

Yes, dead on

I just moved to a new state, and just as of Friday before last moved into a new house.

Training, competing and now so very busy professionally. New online company for personal training, nutrition, & supplements. My modeling work, shoots and live appearances. And now my new tv series and public speaking tour. As well as writing articles, a DVD in the making and a book in process (publisher already picked it up.... I just need a spare second to finish it!)

Oh and my children and now two additional .... whew that's a lot!

However, believe it or not, it is actually starting to slow down a little bit and I am getting more into a routine. *knocks on wood* So you'll see me around quite a bit more. Whether you like it or not! hehe

The abdominal muscles are probably my weakest to train. I couldn't imagine what it would be like after giving birth

My routein is usually cycling, running, resistance, interval training, and weight training.

My weight I usually gain right in the mid section. So makes it tough to get that six pack back. I'm trying to remember what I did when I got that low body fat. It was about 5 yrs ago I was between 100-105 lbs. I trained on an empty stomach and went to two-three classes a day, plus I would be running first thing in the morning. My diet I would just drink protein power with water and coffee in the afternoons. I also took a fair bit of supplements. I wouldn't recommend this diet. But it did get my body fat down and my abs were sticking out. It wasn't safe. My weight was too low. I didn't feel to well being that low.

But now I'm between 110-115lbs.

I would slowly try to train on an empty stomach and just watch what you're eating through out the day.

I wouldn't suggest doing this all the time. Maybe once and awhile. You'll notice that you'll feel more lighter. But if you feel light headed I would suggest eating something right after.

Keep us updated VG. I really hope you reach your goals

<3

Tasha