Female, 42 and Bulking - DV's Journal Part 2

DV

Now that summer vacations and family commitments are over, I can dedicate myself 100% to lifting/eating again!

I am currently training with an all-natural, former competitor, in his 50s and a current NPC judge. I work out with him 2-3 times per week and will not be able to post my workouts on those days in their entirety - mainly because the sessions are so long and strenuous that I cannot remember everything we did! He's okay with my veganism and we compromise on some things. I'm not big on supplements anymore but may consider some, especially when cutting. I am back to using creatine as I can feel a difference in my ability to lift heavier and longer when using it. I avoid all protein isolates except for the occasional Cliff Builders Bar if I cannot get home soon after a workout.

Current stats: 5'10" - 154 lbs - 19% body fat

Current goals: Gain 10+ lbs of (mostly) muscle, then cut down to 13% body fat and assess

Competitions: My goal is for 2010 but my trainer would like to see something happen next year

Current diet: I'm eating 3000 calories per day, 130-180 gms of protein, 10-15% fat. I take a multivitamin, 500 mg Calcium, Vit B12, Vit D when cloudy (about 10 months of the year!) and EPA/DHA.

Current lifting routine: I train approximately 5x per week. When alone, I lift heavy and in the 6-12 rep range. When with my trainer, it's very different each time but he really pushes me for endurance - and there is a lot of posing between exercises. Cardio is about 2-3 30 minute sessions per week, mostly hikes and bike rides while the weather is nice.

Yesterday was leg day, on my own:

Walking Lunges with DBs

15s x 15

20s x 15

25s x 15

30s x 12

Smith Machine Squats

50 x 12

100 x 10

100 x 10

100 x 10

Seated Leg Press

90 x 15

180 x 12

230 x 8

230 x 8

250 x 7

Straight Legged Dead Lifts

95 x 12

115 x 10

135 x 8

135 x 7

Abductor and Adductor - 3 sets each for 25 reps

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, it's a good thing we're both married because you're not good at this flirting thing. But if you do decide to take my place, we need to see pictures of you posing in a bikini at some point!

You should hear my pickup line.

I only own one topless bikini.

Hay, sign me up, how much do you have pay to watch a Woman Vegan Bodybuilder pose.

Dang. I never get the good jobs.

Joe, I never thought about charging - I PAY to pose for my trainer (and the rest of the gym).

Robert, call me if you're ever in town longer than a few days!

Dani, I'm so excited you two are moving here!!!! We'll work out together a lot, I hope! Dr. Joe's system will definitely put muscle on you - and make you stronger. They go hand in hand.

Yesterday was shoulder day and I cannot remember what I did at the gym. However, it was tough and I got winded easily. I hope it's at least another 4 years until I get another cold. I'm on my own until at least Saturday as I managed to get my husband and my trainer sick with my cold.

Today, 3000 calories, 190 gms protein and:

Biceps

Standing DB Curls

15 x 15

22 x 12

27 x 10

27 x 10

30 x 8

Double Cable Bicep Curls - supersetted with partial curls

30 x 10 - 10

30 x 10 - 10

30 x 10 - 8

30 x 8 - 8

Hammer Curls

17 x 12

20 x 10

20 x 8

20 x 10

Triceps

Seated Overhead DB Press

30 x 15

35 x 12

35 x 12

40 x 8

40 x 8

40 x 8

Tricep DB Extensions (Kick-Backs) - supersetted with Tricep Push-Ups

12 x 15 - 10

15 x 12 - 10

15 x 12 - 9

15 x 12 - 8

I went to the gym after work and it was way too busy. Very difficult to find the DBs I wanted - lots more college students now that the fall semester has started.

Muscle development is coming along and there's a big difference from last year at this time, but I have a ways to go. We'll asses my progress after another 10 lb. muscle gain but I don't think I'll be satisfied until I have another 20 lbs of muscle on me and at least a 15 lb fat loss. I've always been happy with my height because "you can gain 10 lbs and no one will even notice at your height!" But that's exactly the problem!!!!

We'll asses my progress after another 10 lb. muscle gain

I had to look it up, and the meaning is:

–noun, plural as·ses /ˈæsɪz/ Pronunciation Key -

1. a copper coin and early monetary unit of ancient Rome, originally having a nominal weight of a pound of 12 ounces: discontinued c80 b.c.

You're killing me. Okay, we'll assess!

Tonight was:

Back

HS High Iso Row - per side

45 x 15

55 x 12

65 x 10

70 x 8

70 x 8

Seated Cable Row

90 x 12

100 x 10

110 x 8 - then drop sets to exhaustion

Straight-Arm Pull Downs

30 x 12

40 x 10

40 x 10

40 x 10

One Arm DB Row

35 x 10 x 4 sets

Lower Back Extenions, Calves, Abs

It was a crazy day at work, one of those days where you are really thankful for your health.

DV...we should plan a trip together. Come down to Venice and spend a week at the most famous gym in the world; Gold's Gym Venice. I was there again yesterday and Monica Brant was there with about 30 people in her fitness camp, some top bodybuilders in the world were there, and some amazingly buff women! I mean huge women! The best of the best train here or visit here, etc. Granted many of them are juicing, but not all of them.

There is even a vegan lifter who benches around 300 pounds. He's a friend of mine and store owner of Eko Zone which is only blocks from Venice Gold's.

Anyway, it's the best environment for motivation that I've found inside of a gym, based on the membership. People are serious and down to business.

Something to think about

For years I've talked about relocating down here during the winter months and last year almost did but couldn't afford it so I visited twice. This year I'm almost certainly moving to Venice for the winter and I'll buy month-to-month memberships at Gold's Venice. Actors, Athletes and top bodybuilders alike train here in a gym with dumbbells that go up to around 200 pounds....they mean business around here!

Think about it...even for a week get away from PDX this winter

Anyway, all the best! I thought of you while I was down here watching buff women throw around heavy weight.

I will catch up with you soon...I have a pretty insane schedule over the next couple of months, something like 7 or 8 cities in two months....so rarely home but I'd love to hang out when I am in town for a couple of days between trips.

Give me a call when you're back in town. I can picture a road trip to Venice in my head (with the hubby because I go nowhere without him):

Robert: Hey, I think I just saw Ronnie Coleman.

Diane: Did we just pass that vegan restaurant I wanted to try?

Hubby: I think there's a vineyard somewhere around here.

Robert: If we get to the gym by 9 am, we'll have time for lunch and a return to the gym.

Diane: Can we make it to San Francisco in a couple of hours? I made reservations at Millennium for tonight.

Hubby: If the two of you don't be quiet I'm going to leave you here and head into Napa by myself for the rest of this trip.

Yesterday was chest day and a trip to the last 3 vineyards we wanted to visit since we moved here. The scenery was fantastic and so were some of the wines.

Chest

Push Ups

10 reps x 4 sets

HS Iso Press - per side

35 x 15

40 x 12

45 x 10

50 x 8

50 x 7

HS Iso Incline Press - per side

25 x 12

30 x 10

35 x 8

35 x 10 - had a longer rest

Cable Flys - straight and incline, 4 sets each with a good squeeze at the end

Calves and Abs

The only up side to bulking is that I can drink wine. It has the only empty calories worth consuming, IMO! I always work out on Sundays unless we're traveling. It's a great day to be at the gym since there are so few people.

Yesterday was leg day:

Legs

Walking DB Lunges - on an incline

20 x 12

25 x 12

30 x 12

Squats - traditional, with a barbell

95 x 15

115 x 12

125 x 8

125 x 8

Reverse Hack Squats

90 x 12

135 x 10

145 x 8

145 x 8

Leg Extensions - hold for 2 seconds at the end of each rep, 10 seconds after each set

60 x 12

60 x 12

60 x 12

60 x 12

Give me a call when you're back in town. I can picture a road trip to Venice in my head (with the hubby because I go nowhere without him):

Robert: Hey, I think I just saw Ronnie Coleman.

Diane: Did we just pass that vegan restaurant I wanted to try?

Hubby: I think there's a vineyard somewhere around here.

Robert: If we get to the gym by 9 am, we'll have time for lunch and a return to the gym.

Diane: Can we make it to San Francisco in a couple of hours? I made reservations at Millennium for tonight.

Hubby: If the two of you don't be quiet I'm going to leave you here and head into Napa by myself for the rest of this trip.

Yesterday was chest day and a trip to the last 3 vineyards we wanted to visit since we moved here. The scenery was fantastic and so were some of the wines.

Chest

Push Ups

10 reps x 4 sets

HS Iso Press - per side

35 x 15

40 x 12

45 x 10

50 x 8

50 x 7

HS Iso Incline Press - per side

25 x 12

30 x 10

35 x 8

35 x 10 - had a longer rest

Cable Flys - straight and incline, 4 sets each with a good squeeze at the end

Calves and Abs

Let's make it happen!

I have a feeling that my winter move to Venice may become much more permanent over time......L.A. just jives with me so well for so many reasons. We'll see, but for sure I'll be back to visit many times...in fact I'm coming back next month between traveling events just to spent time at a friend's Grand Opening for his new Vegan store, help get it popular and all that stuff.

Great times down here.

Anyway, train hard, eat plenty and I'll catch up with you in Portland soon.

Go throw on the heavy stuff in the gym.

I worked back on Tuesday but cannot remember the workout. Wednesday was leg day and Thursday was a much needed rest day. My weight is in the 156-158 range depending on my water status.

Legs

DB Squats[/b] - on a curved foam bar - very difficult as you have to balance on it

30 lb in each hand x 20 reps for 4 sets

Barbell Straight Legged Dead Lifts - on an elevated platform for extra stretch

95 x 15

115 x 12

115 x 10

115 x 8

Leg Extensions

80 lb for 4 sets

First rep, with toes fully flexed, hold for 30 seconds, then do regular reps for another 30 seconds

Hamstring Curls - by far, the weakest part of my body

On my own, I can do about 50 lbs but my trainer didn't believe me so he "assisted" me with 80 lbs, then 65 lbs. And then I had to do 50 lbs for 2 sets on my own. I can barely walk today.

Calf Raises

Holding a 35 or 45 lb plate, 4 sets of 25 reps each leg

Abs

Hey Joe,

I take creatine either after my workout or first thing in the morning, just not before a workout. I'm not sure that the timing matters so much. Most of my protein comes from a mix of seitan, oats, beans, tofu and tempeh.

I probably won't keep up this log much longer. I don't have much time to spend online these days, so when I do, it needs to be well spent. I've found http://www.femininebodybuilding.com to be a much more informative forum, as well as very friendly. Unfortunately, there just aren't many competitive bodybuilders here and that's where my focus is.

Edited by DV

• 1 month later...

Hey Joe!

I'm still around, just not as much and not posting. Work is the same, family is well. I'm mentoring a young girl once a week so I'm discovering all the child-friendly activities in this city.

I've put on 10 lbs since August and it's now time to cut about 10-15 lbs. Hamstrings and glutes are trailing but my quads are finally starting to fill in nicely. Still with a great trainer and planning on competing in 2010 - unless I'm ready by next autumn, but I'd rather take it slow.

Have you reached the big 50 yet? Did you reach your birthday goal? Have a great Thanksgiving!

Well, I miss you too. If we ever got back to vegan BODYBUILDING (minus the alternative universe, er lifestyle, component) as the basis of this forum then I would be around more. It's too exasperating to give solid advice here, only to be debated by some 19 year old with the power of google's collective stupidity to back him up. Or, better yet, to be debated by a 40-50 year old who thinks eating raw/low fat/low protein/"super foods"/fill-in-the-blanks for 8 months, lifting a few weights and reading "studies" somehow gives him the same knowledge base and comprehension skills of a PhD. When this becomes a forum where knowledge, experience, education and walking-the-walk (rather than spewing bullshit) is valued - I'd be happy to return on a regular basis.

Well, I miss you too. If we ever got back to vegan BODYBUILDING (minus the alternative universe, er lifestyle, component) as the basis of this forum then I would be around more. It's too exasperating to give solid advice here, only to be debated by some 19 year old with the power of google's collective stupidity to back him up. Or, better yet, to be debated by a 40-50 year old who thinks eating raw/low fat/low protein/"super foods"/fill-in-the-blanks for 8 months, lifting a few weights and reading "studies" somehow gives him the same knowledge base and comprehension skills of a PhD. When this becomes a forum where knowledge, experience, education and walking-the-walk (rather than spewing bullshit) is valued - I'd be happy to return on a regular basis.

DV,...please don't hold back, let us know how you really feel

I know what you mean. Someone here recently told me that raw food diets were already proven to be healthy/superior because the strongest animals eat raw food diets. When I told this person, who apparently has never opened a biology text book in his life, that different animals are built differently on the inside, he told me that omnivores can use arguments like that against all vegan diets.

Oy.

Instead of VBBF sometimes I think this forum should be name VIF - VeganIgnoranceForum

There's always an influx of whatever that comes in to take away from a common vibe that we all come here for. Anyhow, how is life, still extremely busy? December is the busiest month of the year for the both of us but we can still perhaps train together here and there if it works out. However, this week is the quietest week until the busy times hit. Care to get together if you aren't slammed? If not we'll get together soon enough i'm sure.

Glad to see you're still posting here as well.

Looking forward to once again reading your training log.

Giacomo! Your ability to look on the bright side always amazes me. Stick to it. Wednesday evening, Friday evening or Sunday are good days for me. Let me know how your schedule fits with that.

I don't know if I'll be posting a training log anymore. I'm so beat by the time I leave my trainer that I can barely remember my name - and that's 3 out of 5-6 workouts per week.