No soy what do I do...? Seitan...

RAINRA

I just want to know if I stopped eating soy... what alternatives do I such as seitan and that is not super processed? I am looking for something to make a main meal out of, like Seitan?

What name brand is not full of chemicals? and taste great. Never had seitan so I don't know what to expect.

Just want to try soy free for a week.

basically because I rely on soy too much as a staple food.

where is a good place for soy free recipes?

I am allergic to soy, so basically I have seiten and beans and nut butters. The seiten in the stores all have soy sauce on them, so I have to make my own from my box of vital wheat gluten. I add cashew cream (blended raw cashews with water or rice milk) to my tomato pasta sauce for an extra protein source for the pasta main meal. I have a dark leafy green added to my bean chili meal to help with digestion and gas (I just chop up kale into fine threads, then wilt it in the chili at the end of cooking). I also do brown rice protein powders and pea protein powders into my meals whenever I have a sauce or liquid component of the meal (though right now I just down it with water - trying to get leaner).

I am laying low on hemp for awhile. The hemp with all that fiber has messed up my bowels alittle bit. Though I was taking it with water 2 to 3 times a day. Bound me up pretty well with all that fiber! And yes, I was drinking my gallon of water a day with it (had no problem urinating constantly thru out the day! ), and my digestion enzymes! My guess would be insoluble fiber was what I had trouble with. Not that you really need to worry about fiber with a vegan diet of whole foods! Can you get hemp without fiber? yeah, didn't think so.

Just a side note that the FieldRoast Company not only does a Celebration Roast, but also sausages! Look in the tempeh, tofu, and other mock meats section at Whole Foods and you will see them (if they carry them!). They are basically seiten with a veggie binder (eggplant or potato) and alot of spices! Italian is my favorite, while Apple Sage is my family's favorite.

• 4 weeks later...

I like seitan and things that are made with a similar principle. I have yet to master it boiled though, so I prefer to bake it. It's pretty easy. I try to get a variety though, I feel like too much wheat gluten can't be that great either.

Nutritional yeast adds a bit of protein, if it's something you like it's a good addition, I think.

I don't know if you do protein powder at all, but I've been using a gemma/rice blend that I made at trueprotein.com, and I am a fan. I'm trying to not have my diet to too heavy on soy either.

• 2 months later...
I'm a huge fan of lentils, and there are things like amaranth and quinoa which provide all your essential aminos just like soy.

It is not enough to just have some of the 9 essential amino acids, but to have all 9 in enough and balanced quantities. Just compliment. It is easy for veganism. There are only 2 rules to remember and it significantly boosts the quality of your protein:

1. Combine legumes with whole grains

2. Combine legumes with seeds

The bulk of a protein in a vegan diet is going to come from legumes, so I like to use a grain based protein powder, like brown rice protein. That way, I *hope*, I will not only get the additional protein from the powder, but the powder will balance out the amino acids I take in from my food.