Vegan Mac Danzig vs. Clay Guida

damdaman

tomorrow (wednesday) UFC Fight Night, Spike TV (8pm ET/PT)! I believe Mac and Clay are scheduled to be the second-to-last fight. This is a huge fight for Mac, the UFC is giving him one of the best lightweights in an already stacked division as his second UFC fight. A lot of people don't think he's ready for Guida yet, but he's got a long (and mostly victorious) record in other fight leagues. If Mac beats Guida, consensus is that he'll be in line for a title fight (how cool would it be to have a vegan as the lightweight UFC champion?). If he loses, it'll be a step back, but certainly not the end of his career in the UFC.

Who's going to watch? What are your thoughts?

i don't see why this fight is not the main event. on a poll, most people were looking forward to this fight more than the others that night. and they should be... what's not to love about this match up? Clay Guida?! Mac Danzig?! this has fight of the night written all over it.

I agree. My only guess is that they want Mac to prove himself in the big leagues a little more with this fight before giving him too much spotlight.

I was watching at a sports bar and was nervous and yelling at the TV. I think Mac looked fine from the get-go, got a couple of good hits in and then he just got trapped up against the cage and couldn't get out.

It was pretty frustrating to watch. He was visibly frustrated, tired, and breathing very heavy. I still thought he was going to pull it out in the end with a submission hold or escape the wall and just pound Guida.

I have long hair now and I don't know how Guida fights with hair in his face! It's crazy! He is a wild man and was just all over the place and Mac didn't keep up with the pace as well as he would have liked.

I'm always proud of Mac, no matter what he does, wins or loses. He's such a great guy.

The main event was super exciting! That fight was fun, high energy and both guys were fast, full of kicks and punches.

I would have liked to see some people get knocked out or submitted but for their sake, maybe it's best they all ended in a decision rather than one fighter getting devastated or pummeled.

Next time Mac Daddy! You're the Man!

Mac Danzig looked out of breath. I realize you can eat all the vegan diet you want but if you are not in complete shape does not matter how much technique and strength you have. Good job anyway. I hope to see him come strong next time. Go cadio!

Mac is in "complete shape." Do you realize how well conditioned you have to be to go three rounds with Clay Guida? The guy could wear out a horse.

Mac looked good I thought, he lost to a really good fighter in a close fight. He threw an awesome front thrust kick that almost ended the fight at one point, I'm not sure if he just missed the kick (it looked like it landed) or what. And I'm sure he'll go back to training and work on whatever he feels he needs to work on and be even better next time he steps into the cage. I hope he fights again soon.

Mac Danzig looked out of breath. I realize you can eat all the vegan diet you want but if you are not in complete shape does not matter how much technique and strength you have. Good job anyway. I hope to see him come strong next time. Go cadio!

I think that this was a wake up call for Danzig. He faced a really good guy even by UFC standards. Probably the only other guy was the Hayato Sakurai fight. So I think that he will most definately come back quite awake and ready. Some thing else that I noticed about danzig, he didnt elbow everything in sight, like he normally does. I definately saw chances throughout the fight. Maybe he just wasnt himself last night.

ON a side note , clay must have been sooo proud of his brother last night on the ultimate fighter.

Mac is in "complete shape." Do you realize how well conditioned you have to be to go three rounds with Clay Guida? The guy could wear out a horse.

Mac looked good I thought, he lost to a really good fighter in a close fight. He threw an awesome front thrust kick that almost ended the fight at one point, I'm not sure if he just missed the kick (it looked like it landed) or what. And I'm sure he'll go back to training and work on whatever he feels he needs to work on and be even better next time he steps into the cage. I hope he fights again soon.

I saw that kick and thought it was the start of something great and then Guida countered with a punch that landed immediately. I was pumped with the kick hit because I thought that would knock Guida back and Mac would dominate. I think it landed but maybe not very hard. I think it was just a frustrating match all around for Mac...he'll be back strong and do very well in the future.

Next time Mac Daddy!

Cheers to Guida, great endurance and solid performance.

I do realize what it takes to fight. I have been watching ufc since day one... when it was over in Jersey. I also have don some conditioning like that my self a few times but have as intense and it kicked my a**. I am no expert but I know enough to understand when a fighter is tired. He looked tired second and specially 3rd round. It is also demoralizing and frustrating when you can't find a way in to beat your opponent and he keeps coming at you. I wish I had his cardio but in oder to be on top you really need to go beyond shape you need to train like your running an ultramarathon. You have to go in knowing your cadio is going to destroy your rivals cardio. He Knew Guida was great on cardio and energy. Your mouth should not be open gasping for big breaths of air in which he was. That means you exerting a lot of energy to fight. He is an excellent fighter and I am a big fan. Just did not see Danzig at his best like he did on Ultimate fighter or in King of the Cage. Usually that is how it goes you can go into a fight and have not such a good night and it can be a matter of winning or loosing. It was a bad night for Danzig. The loss usually pumps you up to get back and wreck damage on future opponents. I look forward to seeing Danzig fight again.

well i missed the whole thing, the fights and the first episode of the ultimate fighter, because i work til midnite. i already know the results, but i am gonna try to catch the encore on saturday. and i will also watch that link, thanks tuc.

there is no shame in losing to Clay Guida. the guy's a warhorse, he's a machine. extremely talented and experienced, he's got over 30 fights as a professional. best of all, he's always humble. i haven't seen the fight yet, but i bet he had nothing but good things to say about Mac Danzig in his post fight interview. i'm a fan of both these guys, and will watch anytime they fight.

You're right. He was a complete class act, which I really appreciated. He had great things to say about Mac and even said he looked forward to watching Mac have a really bright future and great career and that he'll be back winning again immediately, etc.

Really cool to see.

I'm fairly "new" to this MMA and UFC stuff, etc. but I really like it now! I used to watch it like 10 years ago when I was a teenager and guys like Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn and Tank Abbot were popular

Mac drew me into it and now I really enjoy it and look forward to learning more.

yeah I started watching with all those guys. At UFC one till it was banned. I was like damn those guys are out of their mind!

That is why I think people got to respect those guys because those guys did not have weight class or really many rules or regulations that was plain suicide.

you know people were dissin' mac like crazy on the sherdog.com forums and i actually got drawn into it. some people just seem to bust chops on vegans but others seem to really hate on vegans!

i, for one, try to minimize if not eliminate hatred from my lifestyle.

anyhoo, excellent posts here on this fight which, imo, was an all-out war.

first off, as posted earlier, imo clay should get props for the W. i was rooting for mac all the way but i like clay, too.

hey man, he stood up and banged with mac, took some solid shots plus he pushed the pace frenetically, and had good sub defense, too. and after the fight he was respectful and a good dude. the bottom line is neither guy could finish each other (belcher vs herman and diaz vs neer were similar).

personally, i kinda like knockouts or tapouts but sometimes it's real close.

i'm proud of mac, he stayed in it and even though he came up short as i have said before he is still an excellent inspiration to many including me

p

I always like to think you eat the animal and you make it suffer but at the end it will come back to kill you. So payback is a bi###. Mac is the man. I hope eat gets his fury back and kicks some but. The biggest problem is fighters fight only about 2 to 3 times in a years. I would be more fun to see more of MAC.

I would just ignore all the ignorant keyboard commandos over on Sherdog, they argue with out knowing the real truth. Like some important officials claim that they don't believe in global warming. Global warming is not a religion it is no based on faith or opinion. Global warming is a fact. Tons of scientific data out. Not knowing makes you look dumb.