Yoga Poses

The bodybuilder is big in that video, but he is not in competition mode. He is flat, with more bodyfat than one who is just ready for a show (was he two weeks out before his show?). So don't compare shredded-ness of the yoga guy to the bodybuilder. And some bodybuilders do dance! Their posing routines are very creative (as some of the women bbers were dancers at one time).

I've also met some yoga guys who have the low bodyfat like he has, but have more muscle on them (most of them are ex-football players who hurt themselves and then found their way to yoga - http://www.rolfgates.com/pages/meditations/index.html). So this video is a nice slice of what is out there to view, but do not think that it is the whole pie. This video of Yoga vs Bodybuilding is just one interpretation. A nice interpretation. I was waiting for the bodybuilder to try and do some yoga poses though! I know from experience that when muscles get so big, that some poses are impossible because the muscle mass gets in the way!!!! And it is interesting, at least for me, to come to a compromise on the pose! Interesting sometimes translates into humorous

I am studying Yoga now, I don't know all the name of the poses but thought it might help with my frozen shoulder. So far so good, I love it. Also my son has a Wii and we like the sports package, the boxing is a good indoor cardio workout, but I love the bowling lol

I am not making any generalization about yoga people or bodybuilders . . . my comments were specific to this video. I have seen BB who move well and are very smooth/creative in their routines and seen some (as in this video), who couldn't move well at all. I have also seen flabby yoga people who can't move. In this video, IMO the yoga was much nicer to watch because of better symetry and movement quality. The BB was a clunk.

Yoga vs. Bodybuilding

Wow, that is a cool video ; i didn't know what to expect, the music was funny but perfect for it. It really shows the similarities and differences between the two bodytypes commonly built (big diesel bodybuilder and lean shredded fitness type).

Maybe they will do a side by side one next time, but then they'd need someone to run the camera?

Personally, I like his build better than his bodybuilder friend but that's a matter of preference; big or lean, functional vs aesthetics, etc...

Is Michael-Paul a friend of yours?

I checked out his site http://www.timelesshealth.net , it is very interesting.

What is his eating plan currently cos it seems like he was raw or vegan for a while but that didn't work out long term?

He has additional videos on a "Yoga Diet" which I'd guess is Vegetarian if not Vegan, maybe it is lacto-ovo or just lacto?

Thanks for sharing.

I don't know him, I just watched his videos, he is not raw vegan, he tried raw foods diet but he felt always hungry he said, and he is not vegan because he eats kefir, but that's all I think, he is vegetarian, and from dairy he consumes kefir

My kids got the Wii last week, and my husband has been bowling and boxing. The other day he was exclaiming with the kids, as they were playing boxing, that he hit him in crotch! And everybody was laughing! The next day, my husband asked me why his upper back was hurting him so much today. Well, could it be because of all the boxing you have been doing? He laughed and said "yeah, who would of thought that throwing a little device around can really use your muscles so much!" I've taken time out of my hectic schedule to bowl a few games (apparently I bowl very slowly! as everybody takes a nap by the time the ball gets down to the pins!). The kids did not get the yoga fit for the Wii. I don't expect them too. Maybe for Christmas I can put that on my list .

HW - I live in both worlds - yoga and BB. There is alot of bashing in these groups about the other. It just gets to me some times when I see generalizations being made. It is like comparing apples and oranges. They each have a certain body that comes with the sport they follow, and each are grand in their striving for excellence in that field. Now there are a few that mismatch the apples and oranges into a relish! Which is just as delish (delicious). Didn't mean to criticize your comments about the video, and if it sounded like that, well at least you know where I am coming from, and sorry if it did.

Gaia . . . I didn't think that you were being critical, and I apologize if I seemed defensive. I know exactly where you are coming from . . . my one old man cranky peeve is bodybuilders who don't complete their art by learning to move and flow when they pose . I think that we may be on the same page, even though I am not a BB.

Best,

Hilary

Off to Taiwan, Vegan heavan!!!!

I am studying Yoga now, I don't know all the name of the poses but thought it might help with my frozen shoulder. So far so good, I love it. Also my son has a Wii and we like the sports package, the boxing is a good indoor cardio workout, but I love the bowling lol

A few years ago I had my shoulder rebuilt. My insurance company, which practically throws people out of hospitals gave me a GENEROUS schedule of PT to recuperate from the operation. Shoulders are very unforgiving. I remember the physical therapists talking about frozen shoulders. A frozen shoulder is definitely something you want a physical therapist to help you with as soon as you can arrange it.

• 1 month later...

The main things that i've read, heard, that stick with me regarding yoga are:

If you're alive, you can do yoga.

Don't conform to the pose, let the pose conform to you.

Let the pose come to you.

You are never too old, never too sick, never too bad, never too late to do Yoga.

Wherever you are, just be there.

If you don't ever fall or lose your balance, you're not doing Yoga.

yes, you may do yoga for the physical aspect, but some amazing things may happen when you step off the mat or come out of the pose and back into your life...

as for your question, there are some poses i enjoy because they come easily to me like plank, bridge, cobra, and tree but i have to say the ones that are more challenging like downward dog, back bends, and shoulder stands are really rewarding, as well.

I'm starting yoga tomorrow!!! Wohooo

As a dancer, you will have a great time! Enjoy.

hope it goes (or went) well, remember to breathe and as hilary said enjoy

the main thing i always try to do in yoga, in addition to breathing with awareness, is to align myself with my Self; not trying to match or go beyond the other students poses but to go within and based on where that is in that moment in time and space, be there

the best teachers i have always offer alternate poses and encourage students to do what they can not what their neighbor is

i do enjoy the collective energy of the group but i think when you push too hard or overdo it in yoga or any exercise is when you could hurt yourself?

somedays i am more relaxed and flexible, other days in pain and stiff; i try to embrace these states and usually they improve with the class

hey btw i never got a chance to congrat you on winning the calves contest; what's funny is how our calves are on the VB&F hme page, it almost looks like we are standing next to each other

anyhoo namaste and take care

p

Thank you both for the advice, and for the congrats paulcats, same for you!

The class went wonderfully well, the teacher is a friend of mine and he's very sweet. Besides I had done yoga for over a year before so I was kind of trained. I left the class feeling in the clouds, loved it!

The class went wonderfully well, the teacher is a friend of mine and he's very sweet. Besides I had done yoga for over a year before so I was kind of trained. I left the class feeling in the clouds, loved it!

that's great

me and my calves are going to go to a class in a few hours.

hopefully i will reach the cloud, too!

p

that's great

me and my calves are going to go to a class in a few hours.

hopefully i will reach the cloud, too!

p

ok i went and it was a great class

the teacher Nagmeh said something that really stuck with me: "be true to the pose". anotherwords whatever the pose is for you be true to that; don't worry about what others are doing.

she also asked us "what pose is the only pose you should have your eyes closed for?", the answer being corpse pose (Savasana). she said it is important to keep your eyes open so that you can really see what your body is doing; even if you are feeling zen-like and having a nirvana moment...

it was just what i needed, this class

p

paulcats, it seems to be like you got a beautiful experience out of this class. i'm glad for you and your calves

Lena01

today was really incredible.

perhaps where i am at prior to class can influence what the class means to me while it's happening and what i'm taking away from it after it's done, too?

i know, somedays, before class, i may be stressed out and/or tired, and the class takes the stress away and rejuvenates me. other days, i may feel pretty good and the class amplifies this to feeling great.

at worst, yoga brings me back to myself; at best, it brings me back to my Self

p

Just a question paulcats, do you do yoga at home?

yes, i do.

it's a challenge for me, though, like with many physical activities done solo, because i tend to go to extremes; either i go easy or i go all out, sometimes the middle ground is hard to be found?

to quote clarence "ripped" bass "when i go too easy i get bored and when i go too hard i give up" (or in my case, get hurt).

but Yoga is about balance.

classes for me are special occasions, in that currently most of the training i do is alone (roughly 80-90%).

p

I try to do it at home, but I become so bored. I love class settings because the energy is conducive to the flow. At home it is just so non stimulating for me to do it. The only time it seems to be stimulating for me is when I hurt myself and I do therapeutic yoga!

Do you set goals for yourself when you do yoga at home? Maybe I should be like my teachers and have a theme for the week, and do a flow to my theme.

I try to do it at home, but I become so bored. I love class settings because the energy is conducive to the flow. At home it is just so non stimulating for me to do it. The only time it seems to be stimulating for me is when I hurt myself and I do therapeutic yoga!

Do you set goals for yourself when you do yoga at home? Maybe I should be like my teachers and have a theme for the week, and do a flow to my theme.

the only goal i set for myself when i do yoga at home is to be present in my body and in the moment. i have videos and books that i follow along with or i will just run through asanas according to my mood.

i do like the idea of having a theme for the week, and a flow to the theme, but i tend to be more like you in that i will focus on healing after the hurt.

p

• 10 months later...