Gaia's keto diet happenings

Gaia

So basically this is my meal plan for my ketogenic diet:

Meal#1

Brown Rice Protein Powder with 1 tbsp of Vega EFA Oil

(Cardio)

Meal#2

2 FieldRoast's seiten sausages (Italian style), salad dressing (Whole Foods' 100% Olive Oil Vinegarette), salad fixings

Meal#3

Pea Protein Powder with 1 tbsp of Vega EFA oil/or peanut butter (2 tbsp)

Meal#4

2 seiten sausages, salad dressing, salad fixings (romaine lettuce, carrots, sweet bell peppers, sugar snap peas)

(Workout)

Meal#5

Pea Protein Powder with peanut butter (2 tbsp)

Meal#6

2 seiten sausages, salad dressing, salad fixings

And that is about all. I will also do this instead:

Meal#(2,4,or 6)

2 seiten sausage with fresh/frozen vegetables, stirfried with olive oil

(very lightly stirfried, and maybe a little veg. broth to keep it from burning and produce steam for the vegetables).

So far, I have gone 3 days straight, and carb up on the 4th day. I basically include bread, potatoes, fruit (fresh, frozen smoothies, and juice), and yams in my diet on carb day.

It is hard for me to go longer than 3 days because I get pretty moody and feel depleted. The only thing that is really cool is that the fat around my stomach is going away. On my second time around of 3 days straight, my skin started to suck to my ab muscles!!!! That makes me want to keep doing it some more! The moody and feeling lethargic don't, but I don't argue with results.

In my studies I found out that glycogen is utilized only by the glycogen/fat deposits around the liver (alias around the waistline). So the fat around my waistline should be the first to go in my ketogenic diet, and it is!

Now the only way to get rid of the glycogen stores in the muscle is to use the glycogen right there in the muscles! So all the dieting won't get the fat around and in my muscles out (which in turn produces definition). Instead, I have to use the excess glycogen's glucose from the muscle tissue right there in the muscle tissue to get rid of the fat deposits. Thus the concept of supersets rings true here.

This is all because the phosphorylated glucose molecules from the skeletal muscle's glycogen stores can't get out of the muscle to keep the blood glucose levels up in the whole body. Only the liver can dephosphorylate the phosporylated glucose from its glycogen stores, and let the free glucose (dephosphorylated) out into the body's blood stream to keep the blood glucose levels up.

I have added a -

Meal#7

pea protein powder shake at night

I take it around 8 when I sit down to either read, or surf the net, or watch TV. Just for some more added calories and protein (with some carbs and no fat).

With what I have written out so far it is 50% protein, 25% carbs, and 25% fats (with around 2400 calories). That is about as keto as I can get it with real food added. If someone knows of some food product that is better than the tasty seiten sausages (2 provides 44g of protein, 28g of carbs, and 2g of fat) for low carb and high protein I would like to be informed! Even a high protein with high fat food product would be OK.

Another thing I noticed is a different taste in my mouth. When I was younger I would say that it tastes metallic in my mouth, but that is not true (I had braces for 3 years so I know what metallic tastes like now ). I am now wondering if it is a different pH in my mouth? Possibly an alkaline taste? or perhaps a mineral like taste? It does go away on my carb loading day and the first day of keto it comes back by the end of day. Right now I am on Keto 2 (2nd day) and it is very strong. Like the taste while sipping green tea perhaps is a good analogy.

It is my third cycle (Keto1, Keto2, Keto3, and Carb1) and now that it is Keto 2 it seems to be easier today (still have the night to go!). I will see how I am tomorrow on Keto3 to see if I can make it Keto4 to extend the cycle.

Workout now is supersetting the two body parts I do for the day, with 30 minutes up to 45 minutes of cardio in the morning. Supersetting is 4 sets (or more if I lose count which on Keto3 seems easily to do ) of 15-20 reps of a medium heavy weight with hitting the body part with 3 or 4 exercises (sometimes more like Legs is calves and quads and hamstrings). This is to get the adipose tissue down to practically nothing in the muscle, since my dieting down doesn't help with the muscle fat.

Why am I doing this? To prove that I can do it! My favorite mantra I have to say when the keto is getting to me , that and I look in the mirror and pose and say to myself "I like!!!!!".

The taste in your mouth, isn't it just the classic ketosis breath? I'm not sure how that is supposed to smell/taste but I heard it's bad.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be better to make your own seitan so you can regulate the carbs better? Those sausages seems pretty high carb for a keto diet.

Vital wheat gluten is already 5g of protein to 3g of carb (and 0g of fat). I do make my own seiten, but it is a little bland for me (and I go thru a whole box a day when I do my own, plus make the kid's mock chicken breast patties out of the box too). Also added to my own homemade seiten (for my tastes, though bland it still is)is nutritional yeast, with a 9g of protein, 14g of carb, and 1g of fat per serving added to it. So, again more carbs!

All in all, it comes out to be the same carbs for the same amount of carbs in the seiten sausages (ounces wise). So it is the same, except alot more work for me to do the homemade seiten .

Yeah I know the carbs are still high in my keto diet, but I don't think you can get the carbs lower (and again I am allergic to soy, though I think soy/tofu has more carbs in it for a keto diet too) without just going to the protein shakes (which I might do after I plateau on this diet. . . .again which is bound to happen. My body is so quick to adjust to just about anything I do to it!!!!).

Gaia,

My diet is similier to yours. My protein is seitan and brown rice protein. Carbs are raw broccoli, blueberries and romaine, and fat is almonds, avocados, almond butter and flax oil daily. I use no condiments. I was doing 1 carb up a week but that left me flat, no energy, and I lost muscle so I went back to the every 3rd or 4th day carb up.

I think this realy does work in preventing muscle loss ( I also use BCAAS)

Good luck on your keto journey. I know you can do it.

Are you targeting a competition?

I think I'm sensitive to wheat gluten because it makes me bloat so I try and stay away from seitan and i try and stick with tofu and tvp but not sure if I'm getting enough protein..any one have any ideas because protein shakes don't seem to be filling enough for me.

Hyrann77 use the tofu and the tvp for your protein source. It will be enough protein.

I only use seiten because I am not sensitive to gluten, but I am sensitive to soy. Soy is what makes me bloat. I would love to eat Fakin Bakin (smokey flavor tempeh) or even the tofu hotdogs are good too. So use any of the fake mock meats made of soy for your source of protein. Do you think you could use the Tofurky's sausages instead? They are half wheat meat and half tofu (I use to eat them all the time).

Always, if you are hungry, eat vegetables. I have celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and tomato wedges waiting for me to eat if I get too hungry (which hasn't been lately on my 3rd cycle of the keto diet).

I will have to admit that the concept of "filling" is not in my vocabulary right now. Food is only to get to a certain goal: lower bodyfat. It is all calculated out, and cheating is even planned to the vegetables and a carb loading day. This is the mental part of a BBer, and it is the hardest part I think.

`

Yeah I could probably do half and half...today has been a bad eating day. I struggle at work because i get bored...did well all weekend...my fridge is loaded to the brim with tofu, spinach, yadda yadda...

just starting to get bored of tofu and what not and I do love seitan guess I'll stick with what I know I can handle.

The keto diet was not letting me lose weight, but I could feel the bodyfat going. Maybe with the 7 Keto DHEA I was taking was letting me keep the weight on, but letting the bodyfat go. BUT. . .

I am going off the cutting diet. I am not going to make it this year. Now I am switching gears to bulking, but not too much bulking like last year (and all the years before that!). I am going to go back to eating regular meals and lifting heavy again! I will try again next year. I like to cut during the summer, and it is definitely fall around here.

Just need to keep my weight around 160lbs this winter, so I can lose the 20lbs in the spring. I was able to lose 25lbs this year (180 to 155), just not the 40lbs I needed to get to middleweight.

It is funny how I went off the keto diet, and just from eating carbs for three days, my muscles are so full! So it does work, it just takes more than 1 day of carb loading like I was doing. So I will keep that in mind the next time I keto diet down. Also I have to watch out for carb loading so heavy at once, as every time I had some carbs (pancakes with syrup actually), I got a little light headed and felt faint. It happened to me the last time I ate a package of Snickers after a show. My hubby had to carry me to the car afterwards because I was so sleepy and going unconscious. Insulin overload probably. Won't do that again! Live and learn. No Snickers anymore anyways!

I am only 5'3". Current weight is now 158lbs. (in the morning, before eating!).

Yes, to the BBer's dream of maintaining the weight and increasing mass, but for me I was not losing the bf enough to get the definitions I wanted in order to compete. Maybe I have just been dieting too long (since March 2008) and my body has had enough. Or maybe I just don't have the mental capacity this year (because of the dieting) to take it to the next level. I am gearing up for next year though. Contests begin in March around here, so that is only four months away if I want to begin that early. Though I will just hibernate in the gym till Spring is here, and then begin to diet down again for a show in June/July.

But I am loving lifting heavy again. I am at a new gym and it is one of those 24 hour card to get in deal gym in a strip mall. It is cool that I can plan to workout around my schedule and not the gym's open hours anymore. I am on a split routine. I did Back yesterday around 11 AM and Triceps around 5 PM. And boy is my body sore the next day! My biceps are still sore from 3 days ago!

Oh yeah, I think I will do a little cardio during the winter to keep the bf down, and yes, perhaps keep the eating down to a minimum of 3000 calories! Unless I find a miracle supplement that will let me eat and make it go right into muscle! (Other than testesterone! and GH! Plus I am a female and those things at my age (45) will mess everything up!).