My interview

FormicaLinoleum

Phew, it's over! I was very nervous!

It was a phone interview. I got to the next stage, and am going in to "meet with some people" on Monday. I like that this is moving quickly so that I don't need to wait forever to find out the results. It is actually sounding pretty promising, and there are two different positions I am being considered for. I don't know how many other people are in the running.

I have mixed feelings about it... I think it went pretty well. But the two people who interviewed me are PhD/MPHs and they have a very public health approach. I don't have any public health in my background so I am afraid that they may think that I won't be a good fit because of that. Other than that, I think I did pretty well.

But they are still interviewing, so I think it will all come down to who I am up against.

• 3 weeks later...

Still nothing about this job--they are interviewing at a conference early this week, so I don't think they will be making a decision before next week.

But I have a second interview for a different job on Wed. My first interview had been in October and I had assumed I hadn't gotten the job. Then they suddenly e-mailed me about a second interview. They said it took them a really long time to get through the first round. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one--I think getting a second interview is a good sign. The first interview was with the director and higher ups. This one is with other research team members, more like peers of the position.

Ooo, and I just heard from a friend at another place I applied. Apparently I am pretty close to getting that job. They wanted to rehire a former employee but she hasn't responded to them. They are giving her a couple more days, then they might give up on her and offer it to me! This one is only 4 blocks from home, so I could walk there. And I'd be working with my friend.

So after all this time, I now have 2 decent prospects.

Yeah, I'll be working at my local school district (Baltimore City) in the Research and Evaluation dept doing program evaluation. I'm not sure of the details of what it will entail, but the general idea is that I will be in charge of evaluations of various BCPS (and state and federal) programs and policies. My title will be Program Evaluator.

It's pretty similar to my previous job, which was doing program evaluation at a University (but for external programs, not University ones). This will just be specifically focused on school-related programs whereas my last job was evaluating a bigger range of youth-serving programs.

I'm pretty excited about it. I hope it doesn't take too long for HR to get to me.

How's your search going, Will? Are people getting back to you?

I applied for this job back in Sept and the same is true for the job for which I had a second interview yesterday. So the process has been pretty slow.

Cool, sounds like a good one.

I've been getting the run around for the past few weeks from the organizations I've interviewed with so I decided to work full-time on a 2nd bachelor's in Civil Engineering starting this Spring, and I'll just keep taking out loans to pay the bills.