MMA on CBS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^LOL on that article

so who's watching Saturday Night Fights on CBS this weekend?

Kimbo Slice vs Ken Shamrock

Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski vs Roy "Big Country" Nelson

Jake Shields vs Paul "Semtex" Daley(welterweight title fight)

Gina Carano vs Kelly Kobald

Murilo "Shogun" Rua vs Benji Radach

oh ill be watching, nothing else on saturday nights. Plus the way dana white has been talking every sat night elitexc could be the last. if kimbo loses to shamrock after what tito did to him three times, then i dont know what kind of draw kimbo is going to be.

want to see gina fight.

DRAMA AT THE WEIGH INS!

Gina Carano had trouble making weight. she had to strip naked to make it. no, we didn't get to see any nudity. there were towels. it's funny to see the guy behind her. when she missed weight the first time, he was like "umm... all those heavy clothes are weighing you down. maybe you should take off your clothes."

Jake Shields and Paul Daley had to be separated after exchanging words, Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock got into a shoving match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGw8HrNmJiw

aaahhhh kimbo could you have at least one good outing on national TV

liked the fight with gina.

shields held in there for the arm bar. nice. I love the ground game. I dont know if I would consider him a top ten welterweight (the announcers said he was) with his stand up the way it is. He has great ground attacks though.

Looks like Affliction and Elite XC are circling the wagons. That is going to make getting Fedor in with Randy.

Could they have shown the fight between sylvia and Fedor enough tonight.

TapOut was on just about everyones back tonight.

dont know how to feel about tito coming to Elitexc, I havent ever been a fan.

would have liked to see arloski move around more instead of standing there for big country to grab.

• 3 weeks later...

ELITEXC CLOSING UP SHOP

"EliteXC’s remaining show scheduled for Nov. 8 in Reno, Nevada has been canceled.... notifications had been sent out on Monday informing managers that the company was ceasing its fight promotion operations by the end of this week and it had begun the process of letting its employees go.

The company had accrued over $55 million in debt in its twenty-four months of operations. Though its third CBS-televised offering, Oct. 4’s “Heat,” was looked at as a ratings success by EliteXC and CBS executives, the company's financial position had become untenable in recent months."

what a shame. though it was not the best show in town, it did have some very talented top 10 fighters who now don't have a place to fight. if nothing else, they did provided those guys a place to fight and expose MMA to a new audience.

i wonder what will happen to those fighters now. certainly hope Jake Shields and Eddie Alvarez get picked up by UFC. maybe KJ Noons and Robbie Lawler too. UFC does not have a women's division, so i guess we may not see Gina Carano vs Cristi Cyborg for a while.

It is too bad for all the fighters but it was really just a matter of time. Nothing like this lasts very long on prime time network tv. Ultimately it was a lame presentation of mma - the whole impression EliteXC gave was of a sideshow full of crooked dealings, dubious outcomes (early stoppages, lack of stoppages when there should have been) and distractions (dance routines?!). The promoters forgot what mma is about - the fights. They forced the match-ups, tried to hype up fighters with no pedigree (they banked a lot on Kimbo and that kind of fell on its face). The announcers sucked. The whole package was embarrassing to the mma world. Their 'Heat' show was a media flail-fest.

It is really too bad that women's mma doesn't have a significant promotion with EliteXC gone. I hope Affliction, or WEC pick them up, and eventually the UFC. Fight promotion's a tough game at this level. The UFC sets the bar pretty high. With Dream in trouble too (an excellent overseas promotion, basically Pride re-packaged), I wonder if Affliction's days are numbered. That would leave us with the UFC as the only big show in the world. This is all pointing to a settling of the dust in the mma fever that's swept the fighting world. Maybe a good thing though - we need solid organizations, not flaky, fly-by-night circus side shows like EliteXC. Can you tell I wasn't a fan of EliteXC?

• 3 months later...

Strikeforce Lands Showtime Deal

The much-coveted deal, which has been quietly negotiated since December, proposes up to 16 live events per year from the popular San Jose, Calif., promotion, insiders have told Sherdog.com. The agreement also opens the door for four primetime specials on CBS, which owns the Showtime channels and had much success with MMA through EliteXC in a Saturday night primetime slot.

The ShoXC brand may still prove viable with the deal, although it appears the EliteXC name will no longer be used.

EliteXC’s marquee fighters, like Carano, Ferguson and former EliteXC middleweight champion Robbie Lawler among others, are being approached by Strikeforce to re-negotiate contracts.

this may sound strange, but the reason this excites me is the possibility of seeing women's mma again, specifically Gina Carano vs Cyborg Santos.

A wrap up of the week's Strikeforce happenings on Sherdog. Looks like they might be able to pick up all the pieces of Elite XC and make something good out of it all.

I cant believe that Kimbo is still a draw after his horrible showings. Really looking forward to the Diaz and Shamrock fight. As angry and streetish as I think the Diaz's are they always put on a great two level fight, that I have seen. I wonder if Strikeforce is going to show KJ more respect (Money) then EliteXC and ShoXC did.

Yeah, Pazios, I'm kinda stoked about the Diaz-Shamrock fight too - hopefully Nick uses some of his jits skills and doesn't just stay on his feet. Although, Shamrock will almost for sure shoot and put him on his back. Either way, Diaz's chin will hold up better than his intstructor's did. I bet KJ Noons' managers (his dad?) will get a better deal for him before they sign. I wanted to see the Nick Diaz rematch with him, but I'll happily settle for his destruction at the hands of Josh Thomson. That'll be a kickboxing clinic. I could also get into a Melendez-Gurgel clash. Kimbo? Whatever. I hope they don't bank too much on that guy. Funny that Bas dropped him and hasn't spoken to him since he got knocked out by Petruzelli's jab.

Yeah, Pazios, I'm kinda stoked about the Diaz-Shamrock fight too - hopefully Nick uses some of his jits skills and doesn't just stay on his feet. Although, Shamrock will almost for sure shoot and put him on his back. Either way, Diaz's chin will hold up better than his intstructor's did. I bet KJ Noons' managers (his dad?) will get a better deal for him before they sign. I wanted to see the Nick Diaz rematch with him, but I'll happily settle for his destruction at the hands of Josh Thomson. That'll be a kickboxing clinic. I could also get into a Melendez-Gurgel clash. Kimbo? Whatever. I hope they don't bank too much on that guy. Funny that Bas dropped him and hasn't spoken to him since he got knocked out by Petruzelli's jab.

yeah I was never comfortable for Bas, the way he kept talking about how he was training Kimbo. Bas is a good trainer and a great fighter, but Kimbo is the black hole of success.

Oh yeah! That could be good... Manhoef is always exciting on his feet, can't say much for his usual choice of shorts, or that walk-in dance he does, but he has thunder in those hands. If he ends up on his back, it's a bit like watching a fawn trying to stand up for the first time. That would be great for Strikeforce and Lawler would be a perfect opponent/sacrificial lamb. Sweet!