Killing me softly

Hi,

What are some of y'all's vices and/or addictions.

My vices include pepsi or coke (just cannot seem to give em up entirely), and SALT!! I am addicted to salt. I douse my food in salt before I even taste it - very bad habit that is very lethal, I know. I am not exaggerating either on the salt addiction. A bite of food that is just barely salty enough for me I am sure many of you would spit out do to over-saltiness.

So my vices are pop and salt. maybe you guys can help me "quit". What about yours??

Nat

I dont have any, I just eat whats there. As for Pop, just go Diet, thats what I do And that salt issue is a pretty bad one, you are right. Last time I heard, they were saying that if you were to grab a pinch of salt, that is all you need for the day. Perhaps there is artificial saly ? Just take things down gradually and then ull be fine! However, you got a point of salt when it comes to french fries

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really have too many things that I crave. I like to think that I have pretty strong will power and don't give in easily.

But sometimes I will crave tofu or potatoes and certain types of fruits.

It can be really hard on a pre-contest bodybuilding diet when I restrict a lot of foods, but I don't really do that much anymore. Now I just eat what I want and get up on stage and hope it all works out. I eat clean year round so I don't need a special diet just to "get ready" for one day.

I also usually end up buying soy ice cream when I see it is on sale

The only time i let my diet go is when there is some vegan dessert, then i'm eating jsut because something tastes good. Normally I eat very plain food. Cookies from the alternative baking Co. are a real pleasure. I do have a computer game vice I am trying to break. I've been game free for atleast 2 days. I also spend too much time on the internet so I want to try to cut back on that.

I'm addiction free.

I dont drink soda.

I dont put salt on anything, its so unnecessary especially when all these soy products are loaded with sodium.

I watched my grandfather die from a stroke. and some of his last words were for me to eat healthy and watch my diet. and to never put salt on anything like he did. it will lead to an early grave. I never knew how much he impacted me til right now. I really started eating healthy cause of him.

so kick that soda and the salt. we can surely help you

I guess chocolate soymilk would be my vice? (not quite sure what a vice is)

it is just the same chemically. i assume it tastes different, though as i dont have any salt in the house im not sure!

i used to be really hooked on coffee, but as of 3months ago im not. i went cold turkey for a month and now i limit it to 1 cup a day.

i used to get horendous head aches in the mornings if i missed the caffiene hit!

jonathan

I'm addicted to diet soda. I have to have 2-3 a day. BAD BAD BAD !!!! .

]I can relate naturalblonde, we BAD BAD BAD!!!

Thanks Topher for sharing that very personal and difficult story with me. I am going to hold you to your offer to help me kick my salt and soda vices. I will think about what you said about your grandpa and it will make me strong.

(A vice basically means a bad habit).

nat

Someone I know drinks about 80 12-ounce cans of diet soda a day! His record is 116 cans in one day. He wasn't even keeping track, but at the end of the day decided to count them up. We work together and during our 8-hour shift he normally goes through 2 or 3 3-liter bottles so 6 or 9 liters total and drinks a lot more at home. He is also on the Atkins diet. He won't listen to me or others and he's not worried about his life being cut short from those foods and drinks either. Strange eh? I couldn't even drink 116 12-ounce cans of water in a day!

Yeah, I spoke with a guy in Vancouver today on the phone But I use eh? quite a bit. My dad's whole family is in B.C., except one of my uncles is in Eastern Canada (Quebec). My sister is headed to Vancouver tomorrow, and then over to Victoria.

I carry a Canadian flag with me everywhere, it is on my wallet. I got it in Vancouver a few years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, that's a lot of soda to drink in a day

Sugar and tea for me. Jonathan can vouch for my tea addiction when he very kindly put me up during the Vegan Fitness Week in Manchester in June.

Smoothie addiction for you Jonathan? I know Topher had a serious chocolate soy milk addiction during his time on this side of the pond as well.

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to anything, because I could stop doing anything given a good enough reason to. I just don't know what I am doing and probably have a crappy diet, not due to lack of will-power, just lack of knowledge. I guess I eat a lot of the same foods, and also go long periods without eating, both of which I know to be bad. It is almost unheard of for me to drink soda, or eat candy or chips/crisps, or cake, they're pretty much not a part of my diet and I only eat them in an emergency. I don't have coffee or tea or drink alcohol. Sometimes I eat a lot of soy which I hear health warnings about, but they seem more like myths rather than actual information. I don't eat many vegetables or fruit, because I hate the taste of them. That's like a reverse addiction, addicted to not having vegetables.