Post Op, Healing

ok been away from vbbf for awhile due to craziness at work. Which has now just died down, so I get a nice week off and back to a more cruise gig. I know I've been talking about posting pics and am finally gonna do it. They came out blurry but I tried to crop out stuff like the toilet and the wall. lol, yeah lighting in my house is bad. Anyway, note I'm 6' and haven't put the tape to any of my muscles, which I guess I should at some point.

I tried to get the long head of the bicep and the back, but they came out way way too blurry and trying to take the pics solo is insanely hard.

DSCN0300_cropped.JPG.b2dba91a01a6da835def3f0bba499c67.JPG

left

DSCN0301_cropped.JPG.d1dda33f430c0788b5a65d6c4cecef80.JPG

right

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, dug up a before pic (not a very good one) but at least folks can see a comparison. This was in 2002 when I first got serious about losing weight, so I was approx 310lbs. Albeit via Aktins 2002 to late 2007. But been a strict vegetarian since NOV of 2007.

1470146183_before2002.jpg.75d806b8f0b2b9e602c3d67d44c452eb.jpg

2002 before pic

I was real motivated by Troy's video where he's doing double-hand tricep extensions with 100lb dumbs. So I went and scored me a set of 115lbs at the used sports store. Not trying to one up him, they only had the 115lbs. You should of seen the clerks when I farmer's carried them out the door...lol. I guess the weights have been at the store for ages and they gave me a really god deal. Anyway gonna play with them tomorrow and get some shrugs in as well as an attempt at a double-hand tricep extension. Gonna see if I can con someone into coming over and assisting me just in case I get into trouble. Darn why do I only know women? I definitely need a group of male friends...

Adjusting diet just a tad by adding in more fat and L-Carnitine. For the past week, been doing 4 servings of L-Carnitine 30 mins prior to meals with either hemp or flax sources of fat. So basically my meal 2 through 6 have an additional 100-130 cals with approx 25-45 fat cals increase per. Gonna see how the adjustment works, I've already seen a slight decrease in bf % at the end of this week. I'm hoping this does the trick in losing more bf %

Adjusting my goals just a bit. My total body weight I'm not too worried about, the 200-220 range is fine. More importantly I am interested in getting my bf % in the 18-20% range. It has been hovering around the 28-30% mark for the longest time now (years). The slight adjustment made by increasing my fat intake has broken that range and gotten me into the 26-27% range (within the last week). So I'm gonna stick with that change and pray the bf comes off.

Also if anyone knows the optimal bf % range for muscle growth, let me know. I'm no longer interested in getting into a super low 3-12% range. But a nice 18-20% would be an achievement. Again any input on optimal bf % range for muscle growth would be appreciated. As well as bf % decrease tricks or tips would be nice. Intense cardio for some reason does nothing but eat muscle for me. I've done twice a day 1 hour cardio sessions for 16 weeks with overall weight lost, but still in the 28-30% bf range. And that's with a restricted caloric intake of 1800-2200 cals. The most dramatic results (and motivating due to muscle size increase) I've seen is what I'm doing now. Which is 30-45mins of str training with an immediate 30mins of cardio afterwards, 4 times a week. Then my non-training days, I get in two 30min cardio sessions in.

Ok liking the final tweaks to my diet. Gonna stick with this one for 8 weeks and check it every 2 weeks. Then no more tweaks for awhile. I'm very certain that I'll see an increase in muscle mass and a decrease in bf %. Especially since I believe my problem has been dangerously lower daily fat intake. Here are some quick stats on the changes:

3000 cals/565 fat cals

375g carbs/125g fiber/59g sugar

270g protein

Carb% 45

Fat% 19

Protein% 36

Also first snowfall here in ANC; it looks like it's gonna stick. We've had major rain for the past week or so, but it finally got cold enough this morning.

@Troy, thanks for the advice, I modeled the changes off of your macros.

lol, finally posted in the intro's thread after wondering why people haven't been commenting on this thread.

Anyway, the meal adjustment is "feeling" good. I'm past the max 6 day adjustment period so my body is taking to it. I've also increased my cardio a bit to compensate for the increase in cal/carbs. I probably shouldn't, but I "feel" the reserve of energy, so I figured I better use it before it gets stored as fat. Also I believe the macros is what I've been lacking in my previous diets. Anyway, we will see when I get close to the week 8 mark. I might post some pics before then, if I have a hard time recognizing body changes. We all know about distorted body perception, so another pair of eyes is always a good idea.

Haven't been doing a "weighted" calf routine, but I wanted to track some progress. Here's a pic dated today so I have something to compare to at week 8. Did I mention how hard it is to take self pics. I had to do this one seated. They look way better standing

DSCN0310-cropped.JPG.a13bfc44f6880a8695e2c1122abc31ad.JPG

left calf

lol, I was in sorta a rush heading into work yesterday. Just jumped outta the shower after my workout, tossed on a shirt and got over to the shop. I went the entire day without noticing that my hair was utterly insane. I was washing my hands, after using the restroom, when I was greeted in the mirror by my freaky hair!, so I snapped a shot with my cellphone.

pic102108_1.jpg.15fcf3d5cfd63f01cdb265d0cf4ef383.jpg

insane hair

Weight: 214.8lbs @24% bf

bf% is slowly coming off towards the 17-20% goal. It seems that doing 15-20mins every hour from 7a - 2p seems to do the trick. Yes I might get some critics, but it seems that this "frequency" of cardio for me seems to be more effective. It also assure that my caloric expenditure is spread out more evenly throughout the day rather than in 1 or 2 big depletions. I'm like into day 5 of this and it feels good. The joints are holding up and no muscle strain as I am sure to spend a solid 20 mins as soon as I wake up to stretch everything.

Gonna keep at this until I plateau and then switch it up. Probably alternate a few burnout squats sets. We will see.

@Johnny Thanks man, working my butt off to find the right technique to shed the fat.

Everything is on track, keeping up with the frequent cardio and the bf% is shedding. Meal plan is working and will probably need to be adj after I get down to my target. Will probably post weight when I am in 17-20% range. I should figure out what my weight will be when I am in that range, but since I am lifting weights I don't want to discount any muscle gains I may get.

Anyway, keeping motivated and sticking to the plan.

Weight: 208.2 @ 22.3% bf (46.4 lbs fat)

Weight is looking good and coming down. Staying the course on the meal plan and the exercise routine. I have yet to loose focus or motivation and I don't foresee any slip ups. I actually really enjoy the 15 mins every hour during the mornings until I go to work. It makes me feel like I've done something productive that day. Especially something productive towards enriching my health and well-being.

Anyway, I'll post an update next week or if anything comes up before then.

Totally scored at work about 5 boxes of Weil, by Nature's Path, Organic/Vegan Bars. I tried a few while I worked there and rather liked it. No idea why they didn't fly off the shelves, but since they were close to expiration, I went ahead and scoop them all up at a sweet price. Anyway, I tossed most of them in the freezer and sure enough they de-thaw in the refrigerator well. So will probably go one a day in the mornings before I start the cardio. It's probably not gonna kill me or jack with my bf loss...I hope. If it does, I'll just keep em in the freezer. Has anyone else had these? I like the Goji ones since it has a fig taste, which I love. At first they all tasted rather sweet for my taste, but nothing like processed sugar.

I had disturbing dream last night, where someone offered me a taco and I took a bite just as it was visually revealed to me that it was chucked full of meat! I woke up and was immediately emotional, which I cannot say has ever happened to be previously. I don't recall having a nightmare regarding being deceived with food or a food/meat dream.

Anyway I figured I'd share that and ask folks if they have had similar experiences.

I was ringing up a mall employee last week who was telling me about the gym located in the mall and how they had a mall employee discount. So I went in today and checked it out. It was rather affordable as well has had some equipment which is going to take my lifting to the next level. Went in today and pretty much messed around and went heavy on legs, traps and squats. I was pretty impressed and will probably hit it tomorrow right before work and make a habit of hitting heavy composites there. I think I am going to keep my cardio, bicep and delt workouts @HOME. But definitely hit the big movements at the gym.

@Crystal, Not sure if I'm going to post the numbers I lift at the gym. I know I should, so I can chart my strength increase. But I'm kinda self conscientious about it. I also feel like people won't believe me if I toss up certain numbers. For instance, I did shrugs in a trap cage: 16 rep, 4 sets at 6-45lb plates on a 40-50lb bar. That comes out to roughly 320lbs. And some guy at the gym made the comment, "Oh lord that's heavy!" Yet if you look at my traps they aren't insanely big. And yes I know that physic and strength are two completely different things. But that is my way of avoiding criticism. (A trap cage doesn't assist in the lifting it's just a safety implement so you don't have to pick up or put the bar back down on the ground every set, ie no cables)