Will's Log

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, Will!

How many do you do in a row and how long are your breaks?

Do you warm up before you start the 60min count?

Last night I was doing 1 set of 5 reps every two minutes (which adds up to 150 if I stayed tightly on schedule). I had to slow down a little towards the end which is why I came up 10 short of 150

The first 15-20 reps are pretty easy, and those are my warmup

alex - i love your signature! dodgeball is a great movie

nice chins will - someday, when i have a few days free afterwards to recover, i may attempt such a feat

jonathan

True man Dodgeball is a funny one

Yeah you gotta try maxing out on chins or pullups, they're fun. As you can probably guess I'm addicted to doing them

I've been doing a bunch of pushups (PP2, bowling ball, fingertips), one leg squats, and bowling ball situps for the past 3 days. I haven't bothered counting with counting reps on these exercises. I plan to try for max reps/hr on pullups again tomorrow (Monday) night

Feb 27

Went for a round of max reps of pullups in an hour tonight. I decided to start out with a set til failure, then to aim for 5 reps every 2 minutes after that. In my first set til failure I completed 24 reps. On my 24th rep I felt a sharp pain in my right bicep, so I stopped. I'm hoping I didn't tear it. This is frustrating because I've been progressing well at max pullups and chinups per hour recently. I'll see how it feels tomorrow. It hurt a lot when I was doing the rep, but just feels kind of weak/numb now (it only happened a few minutes ago)

So in hitting 24 straight did you just primarily do 5 rep sets? I remember a while ago you did 18 I think. Since then were you just doing 5 rep sets?

Sorry to hear about the bicep. If there was a sharp pain and now numbness I'd recommend a minimum of 2 weeks of rest. Then see how it feels at that point. You'll probably need longer than 2 weeks of rest.

Posts are being screwy again...

Anyway, Jay yeah my max in one set went from 18 to at least 24 just from doing 5 rep sets and maxing out over an hour. Before I felt the pain on the 24th rep I was thinking that I was good for at least a few more reps on the set

Focused on one leg squats yesterday especially on slow negatives to work on form. Did two sets of pushups til failure. Also did a set a of inverted toe touches (dead hang from the pullup bar and pull legs up to a vertical position, until they touch the bar). I didn't feel any arm pain or anything abnormal on these exercises. So hopefully what I felt the other day was minor. I'm going to try a light set of pullups now to see how it goes

I just did a set of 10 pullups. Arm felt fine, set went well. Not sure if I was just being a wimp about the pain the other night or if my body was giving me warning signs of potential injury or what. I need to come up with a new routine for training for the pullup/hr record because I fear injury from overtraining now

Edited by willpeavy

I just spent the last hour at the playground with my son. I did a bunch of dips there. I haven't done dips in a long time so it felt great to do them again. I did some on parallel bars, and did some more at the corner of perpendicular bars

Edited by willpeavy

For pullup training I'm going to try a variation of Pavel's ladder

Basically to do this you start out doing a set of 1 rep, then a set of 2 reps, next a set of 3 reps, then a set of 4 reps, and so on and see how high you can go

I'm going to try doing this every other day and alternate between chinups and pullups each session. I.E. If I do a session of pullup ladders on Monday, then I'll do a session of chins on Wednesday, another sessin of pullups on Friday...

Only on the last day of each month will I try to max out on pullup or chinup reps for a whole hour. I'll alternate each month. I.E. - January 31 I'll go for max pullups in an hour, Feb. 28 I'll go for max chinups in an hour

I still want to aim for improving max reps per hour by around 1 per day, and my last best on chins was 150/hr. So on Jan 31 I'll shoot for 180 pullups/hr (3 reps per minute)

Edited by willpeavy