Michael is Pumping Iron in Steel City!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, there is a 4-pack emerging above my belly.

Are you sure it's nothing serious?

And what do you mean by "above" your belly?

The majority of my body fat collects around the lower belly and love handles. This is the only place it is very noticeable. The four abs that are trying to emerge are above the belly fat. The fat layer around my other muscles is much less noticeable and I have some muscle definition everywhere else.

Wednesday, November 23

Deadlifts -

8x135 pounds

5x225

3x295

1x365

1x415

The right side went up slightly quicker than the left, the weights on the left side shifted about 6 inches! I stumbled back about 5 steps struggling to re-balance 415 pounds! Thought I was going to blow out a knee! Yikes! Fortunately, I didn't hurt anything.

Continued Deadlifting -

6x295 pounds

12x225 - Hm, this endurance thing is painful!

Machine Bicep Curls -

10x80 pounds

8x90

6x100

4x120

3x110

2x120

1x130

Dumbel Hammer Curls - 10x35 pounds each

Crunches with light resistence - 2x25

The right side went up slightly quicker than the left, the weights on the left side shifted about 6 inches! I stumbled back about 5 steps struggling to re-balance 415 pounds! Thought I was going to blow out a knee! Yikes! Fortunately, I didn't hurt anything.

Michael! Don't shock me!

Glad you were able to catch it

12x225 - Hm, this endurance thing is painful!

Machine Bicep Curls -

and

Dumbel Hammer Curls - 10x35 pounds each

And you DARE to call yourself a powerlifter?

Okay mate, now which one of us is the "git" again?

You're the real closet bodybuilder amongst us. How many bicep curls have you done this week? Anyway you are just jealous because I have bigger arms than you! :raz:

Ah yes! Quad extensions! I haven't done those in ages. I really liked that exercise, but the machine only goes up to 285 pounds. Maybe I'll have a go at it next week.

And Alex, I was forced in to powerlifting really. I didn't want to be run out of veganfitness town.

And yes, anything over 3 reps is an endurance event. Hmm, maybe I really am a powerlifter!

i am proud to say that i havent done a single bicep curl this week! and i did a total of 12 curls last week (6 doubles with 121lbs).

i know what you mean though - i do occasionally find myself posing the mirror - its so embaressing!

we would have loved you just as much on veganfitness had you been a bodybuilder - we would have just shifted you over to the bodybuilding section and not let you into power and strength!

jonathan

Sunday, December 4

Ugh! I've had a nasty sinus cold all week. Haven't worked out since Monday, haven't been eating or sleeping much. Drinking too much coffee trying to stay awake at work.

Stepped on the scale at the gym today and OMG! I was 240 on Monday, today 233! Yikes!

Decided on a light full-body workout just to get back in the groove. My appetite is back today too!

Pull-Ups - 4

Squats -

10x135 pounds

8x185

6x225

Pull-Ups - 3

Bench Press -

10x135

8x155

6x185

3x205

Pull-Ups - 3

Deadlifts -

10x135

8x225

6x275

Hanging Knee Raises - 2x12

That's all, nothing too exciting today.

Good job on the deadlift.

My maxes were as follows:

Deadlift: 405 / 2 reps.

Bench press: 265 / 4 reps

Squat: 315 / 3 reps

This was some time ago. Today, I would never squat. One of my discs in my back has moved out of alignment because of the heavy lifting. I only do heavy leg press. I still dead lift because at least you do not have to set the barbell on your shoulders. Personally, I loved front squats the best. (Where you rest the barbell on your front delts instead of your traps.) That way you don't tweak your arms as bad.

'Vegan Power'

Steve

Today, I would never squat. One of my discs in my back has moved out of alignment because of the heavy lifting. I only do heavy leg press. I still dead lift because at least you do not have to set the barbell on your shoulders.

Have you tried doing one leg squats? I've built lots of lower body strength doing these and you don't even need any weights. Here's an article I like on them http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler2.htm

One of my discs in my back has moved out of alignment because of the heavy lifting. I only do heavy leg press.

Minor hijack here!

I'd REALLY watch out on doing leg presses if you've got back problems - even tough the weight isn't on your upper half, leg presses compress your spine in really weird ways that aren't natural and can be far worse for you. I've never hurt my back squatting (even with 855 lbs. on me for quarter squats), but I've managed to injure my back 3 times in the past on various leg press machines. The only two leg press machines that I'd consider remotely "safe" are either the horizontal version (usually a weight stack machine style) or the old-school vertical press where you lie on your back on the floor with the weights directly over you. Anything that's set at an angle is bad news as far as I'm concerned.

If you can get access to a reverse hyper machine to rehab your back you can fix just about any problem in time and squat without pain again. Not easy to find one of these things, but from what I hear they're worth their weight in gold for correcting disc problems and strengthening your lower back beyond belief! A good chiropractor doesn't hurt, either.

Thursday, December 8

Re-gained 3 pounds of last week's lost weight, still lacking for strength and endurance though.

Barbell Bench Press -

10x135 pounds

8x155

6x185

4x205

1x225 Failed on 2nd rep!

Incline Press - 2x10x135 pounds

Dips alternated with hanging leg raises - 2x10 each

Dumbell Bicep Curls -

10x35 pounds each

8x45

3x50

Hammer Curls - 6x35 WEAK!

Tuesday, December 13

Okay, I'm only making it to the gym about twice per week and all I seem to be doing is Bench Presses and Bicep Curls. Quick, someone kick my ass and make me lift!

I do have good excuses though, was sick, was busy, slipped on black ice in the parking lot at work last week and wrecked my left ankle, calf and knee. I can't do deadlifts or squats for a few weeks at least.

Barbell Bench Press -

10x135 pounds

8x155

6x185

4x205

2x225

8x185

Barbel Bent Over Rows -

10x45

8x95

6x135

3x185 really sloppy, too heavy

Remainder of workout was with no rest between sets.

Seated Cable Row - 6x200

Tricep Press Down - 6x130

Barbell Bicep Curls - 6x100

Dumbel Hammer Curls - 8x40 each

Dips - 20xbodyweight - very low, perfect form.

Hanging Knee Raises - 15

Crunches - 30

Thursday, December 15

Pull Ups - 4 - The best 4 pullups of my life! Full range of motion and pulled my chest all the way to the bar.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press

10x45 pounds

8x95

6x115

4x125

3x135

2x145

Barbell Shrugs - Wide Grip, Hands past the rings.

12x135

10x225

8x275

Shrugs - Mixed Grip - Alternated with sets of pullups.

3x4x315

15x225

Pull Ups 3,2,2,1

Barbell Curls

8x80

6x90

4x100

Thursday, December 15

Pull Ups - 4 - The best 4 pullups of my life! Full range of motion and pulled my chest all the way to the bar.

ah ha the purpose of your weight loss becomes clear now! making the pullups easier for yourself hobbers? ing behaviour!

good session - heavy volume.

remember 'back in the day' when we used to challenge each other to see how much weight we could shift in one session? i think 22,000lb was my pb! ....the crazy days of my youth....!

jonathan

you're just jealous cos you're nearly 30!

Ha!

Which is the prime time for a strength athlete, my boy!

Besides, vegan athletes live well into their hundreds

true true. but i am 21 and as strong as you so just think how strong ill be at 30!!!

i do plan to live until i am 100 but the odds are in a way stacked against me.

*tall people dont live as long as short people, maybe because:

*studies have shown that the more calories you eat over the course of your life, the earlier you will die. this owing to the fact that the internal organs have to work harder.

so with me being monstrously tall, and bulking, im buggered!

jonathan