A job at a supplement store, but I need advice

kollision

Hi there,

Well I just went to this one store that sells a lot of supplements. Its the biggest supplement products I have ever seen! They sell vegetarian, vegan, and packaged meat stuff (ie cans). Would it be wrong to work their since I am vegan? I was contemplating amongst myself and I think that it would be. One of the owners there is vegetarian and has been since he was a kid. He saw my shirt and was like "Wow where did you get that?" and I told him about Rob and the site so I gave him a card. Anywho, what would you folks think? I would like to work in a supplement store, since its cool, its just those other factors. Any ideas of Vegan Supplement stores?Thanks a lot.

I am sure many people will have strong views about this that are different from mine, but I say you should work there if you want to.

WHy? Because by doing so you are in a position to reach more "meat eaters" and educate them on the realities of meat eating, and you are also in a position to dispel the myths about vegans (unhealthy, skinny, wimpy, etc). People that come in there will presumably be there because they are interested in health and fitness, and so you will have many opportunities to tell them your "secrets" to health and fitness and thereby promote an animal free lifestyle. In fact, not only do I think it isn't wrong for you to work there, I think it is a GOOD idea.

When I was vegertarian, I used to work in a lot of bars that sold mostly meat dishes. Was I betraying the animals? NO. How not? Because every reasonable opportunity that I had I promoted vegetarianism to all these hard core meat eaters. IT would usually start by them asking me "Are the chicken wings any good here?". I, of course, would eagerly respond "I wouldn't know. I don't eat animals." Many conversations with these customers ensued about the health aspects, the cruelty aspects, etc. of eating animals. I am sure that I educated many people on topics that they would otherwise probably not have been educated on. IN fact, as Rob knows, I got fired from that job BECAUSE of my refusal withhold the fact that I was a vegetarian. . The owner wanted me to lie about that. AS if I would ever promote meat eating.

In short, I think we can reach more meat eaters by being around them whether that means being the bartender that they want to talk to while eating their chicken wings, or the supplement health guy whose advice they seek when they come in to buy supplements. So my opinion is that you can help animals more by working in a supplemental store that caters to not just vegans, but to ALL people including meat eaters.

Catch my drift?

Nat

That makes a whole lot of sense. However, if a person comes in and just asks for a specific product, should I just ramble on about how animals are forced to milk and such? I can understand if I have customers that actually ask "Why vegan?" , "How do they get the milk?" , etc. but either than that, would you actually want me to bring it out of the blue?

Thanks for the response. What you said makes a whole lot of sense. However I live in a house that eats meat and milk (yes we have talked on the issue, I even showed pictures, but still they want to eat meat) and I wont even touch the meat to pass it over. I guess job and at home is different?

Hey Koll,

If somebody walks into the store and says "Do you have product X", and you do, and that is all they ask you, then no I don't really see an opportunity there. But I am sure you will get many people that ask you for your opinion of some sort, or ask what you take, or ask what you think, etc. Look for an opportunity to bring in your opinions, but I don't think you can just out of the blue start informing people when they haven't even asked a question, as this might piss them off (especially if they are meat eaters). Then, they might complain to your boss and you might get fired for trying to "push your vegan agenda". You getting fired doesn't help the animals.

SO what I am saying is that you will know when you can bring in your views on health and fitness. Trust your instincts, and get a feel for the customer. If they are chatty for example, and really looking to pick your brain about stuff, then this is a golden opportunity that should not be missed. So trust yourself that you will know what to say and when to say it.

Always be tactful and polite, and, since you are in a health place, obviously focus more on the health aspects of animal free living (and give the ethical and environmental aspect a lesser focus). It is more likely that your customers will be most receptive to the health arguments in favour of animal free living.

I have complete faith in you and I would encourage you to work there if that is what you want. Go gettem' tiger :wink: .

Nat

Hi Nat,

Ya that makes a lot of sense. Thats the exact way I conduct my own life in the gym as well if I am asked questions. I dont come out and say "I am vegan" or anything, unless a topic comes up such as "You take protein?" and stuff like that. I agree with getting fired by pushing your "agenda" on them, and I find it a bit rude if I were to do it honestly.

Thanks a lot for the tips, you come in handy! You should make a pocket sized book or something. Thanks for the support, I will still think on this as its a big step for me, but still, your input means a lot. Thanks a lot mate!

Yeah Kollision Compassionate Girl is right on. And look if someone says do you know about some supplement, you can say "I don't use supplements" that would really suprise them. Though i guess now you can say I use soy protein, etc. Also you get a discount! Go for that job.

If its something you really enjoy then go for it. Make sure you have chat to find out exactly what you are going to be required to sell. What stock to shift etc. I can see a benefit in relation to you being a vegan and working there as you can always reccommend a supplement that is vegan, but at the same time there should be a required amount of stock that they want you to move at any given time, and it may not always be agreeable to your beliefs. Unfortunately you may not have any moral ground to stand on either.

There are always ways to persuade a customer to purchase a product regardless of what they ask for (of course if its Mr Universe and he comes in chomping on a lamp chop you may not have too much to work with). I wouldn't reccomend becoming too chatty with customers especially regarding your views, and or lifestyle. If they ask then thats an entirely different matter(but even then you have to know when to draw the line). Just rememeber you are going to be there to offer the best service and advice for the customers, and to be a good employee for your boss. And that I'm afraid is part and parcel of being in paid employment. But if you never have a go, then you'll never ever know!