Liz's workout log

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, are those really beginner weight levels? Gasp!

I started this particular routine just last month, but I've been working out in some form since June of this year. Also, I do a single set of each exercise, which means I can do heavier weights than I would if were aiming to be able to do 3x12 or something like that.

Liz, you're strong!

A couple of weeks ago I went shopping and had lots of groceries. I was on my own so I loaded myself up with all the bags and headed to my car. As I got there and put my stuff down, a guy going by said "you are very strong--you must work out a lot" and I responded "I do!". I didn't know what else to say! It's funnier if you can hear how I said it.

I really need to add deadlift! But I had such forms problems last time I did them that I don't want to start again until I can get someone to go over how to do them with me in person. And I don't know how to make that happen.

I also need to work on my grip, which is pretty sad. I'm finding that my grip is already starting to be limiting, like on the lat pulldowns. Maybe I will do some static holds of some heavy dumbbells.

I was supposed to go on Sunday, but I didn't. Bad me. Tonight's workout:

Squats: 115# x8

Calf Press: 250# x15

Incline Dumbell Press: 25# (ea.) x15

Rear Delt Row: 60# x12

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 40# x10

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x6

The squat felt quite heavy tonight, and I did only 8. This was the first time I actually found myself unable to stand back up and had to set the bar on the spotting bars. Glad to know that actually works!

Still found myself unable to move the 30# dumbbells on the incline bench! So I did more with the 25# ones.

I also did some static holds with 50 and 60# dumbbells for my grip at the very end of my workout. Can't go too long. I'll have to work on this.

Tonight's workout:

Squats: 115# x12

Calf Press: 270# x15

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x5

Rear Delt Row: 60# x12

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 40# x12

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x7

I finally moved those 30# dumbbells. I dunno what the difference was, but the first rep was quite easy and I managed to do 5. I don't know why I went from not being able to lift them even once to being able to do 5 reps. But I'm glad I did!

You can use a step under the Smith bar - instant stretch!

Hey, FL - I noted you are planning to do cardio 7 days a week. Do you not need a little rest? If you can do that, great but I know I would totally burn out...

Looks good so far. What about the deadlift?

One Q about the calf exercises. My current gym has just a seated calf press thingy. I have been thinking about doing calf raises with a barbell on my back, as for squatting, using the squat rack. At my last gym, I was doing this with a Smith machine (the only exercise I would use that for). But I was up to about 180 lbs, which is far more than I hold for any other exercise I do, and so I am a little afraid of trying to hold that weight without any support. Should I be worried about that, or do you all think I should be able to hold it okay?

The smith machine is okay for doing calves. Only problem is, that you can't go into the stretching position, which i believe to be very important. And when you can't go down the full way, you need more weight to make it a challenge.

But try it and you will see if you can hold it. I believe it will be no problem, it's easier to hold a weight than to squat with it.

One leg calf raises as Will mentioned are okay, but even if not too easy from the start, it's hard to keep adding weight. You can use dumbells, but the calves are very strong and at some point it won't be enough. If they suit you better than the smith machine, i think the movement is better, so do them then

You can use a step under the Smith bar - instant stretch!

Hey, FL - I noted you are planning to do cardio 7 days a week. Do you not need a little rest? If you can do that, great but I know I would totally burn out...

My current gym doesn't have a Smith machine. My last gym did, and I was using it for my calf raises. When I made the switch to my current gym I didn't know what to do for calves. Now I am using the leg press machine.

Yup, I do squats with a barbell.

All the cardio is just because I'm specifically training for bike racing. Our team training program requires riding every day, with one day off a month. I wouldn't do cardio every day if is weren't for that. (In fact, I haven't managed to do it every day yet. But I should be.)

Tonight:

Squats: 125# x5

Calf Press: 300# x12

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x6

Rear Delt Row: 65# x12

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 45# x9

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x7

I was feeling pretty tired tonight. Especially my legs--they were still sore from Tuesday. I kept hoping they'd be feeling better by this workout, but I still had soreness. I should be feeling better by Sunday for my next workout.

I've made a decision not to stay on the cycling team. I just don't have it in me to train that intensely--I like biking, but not enough to make it such a priority in my life. To do it right, it would have to be #2, right behind work (which I don't have now, but will), but that's not where biking is for me. Spending time with my girlfriend is very important. And I'm really into the weightlifting. Yesterday, I didn't bike because I was trying to let my legs recover for my workout. To be on the team, biking would have to take priority over weightlifting.

So I'll keep biking recreationally, probably riding 3-4 times a week. But I won't race next season.

I feel like some of my form is getting a little sloppy, and I want to concentrate on improving it. I think in some cases, that will mean decreasing the weight a bit. I have been kind of cheating on some exercises by kinda jerking the weight to get it going, and I want to rid myself of that.

Today's workout:

Squat: 125# x7

Calf Press: 310# x 12

BB Bench Press: 75# x9

Barbell Shoulder Press: 55# x4

Cable Row: 105# x6

Lat Pulldown 90# x7

Cable row is one exercise I think I will decrease the weight a bit so I can improve my form.

Last night's workout:

Squat: 125# x11

Calf Press: 320# x 12

Chest Dips: -40# x8

Upright Barbell Row: 50# x4, 45# x5

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 85# x10

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -60# 8

I got so close to doing 12 on the squats, but I couldn't stand back up on the last one! Upright barbell row is one of the exercises I'm going to drop down in weight a bit to rectify form problems.

Today's workout:

Squats: 125# x11

Calf Press: 330# x12

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x3

Rear Delt Row: 70# x8

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 45# x12

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x2

I had some trouble today, especially with the upper body exercises, because I went snowboarding for the first time ever on Friday. There was lots of falling, and I hurt my shoulder and my ribs. It made the bench pressing and pullups a little painful.

My ribs are not improving. If anything, they are getting worse. So my workouts haven't been improving either.

Last Thursday:

Squat: 130# x3

Calf Press: 350# x 12

Chest Dips: -40# x8

Upright Barbell Row: 45# x6

Barbell Bent-Over Row: 85# x12

Narrow-Grip Chinup: -60# x4

Today:

Squats: 130# x5

Calf Press: 360# x12

Incline Dumbell Press: 30# (ea.) x5

Rear Delt Row: 70# x9

One-Arm Dumbell Row: 50# x6

Wide-grip Pullup: -70# x3

Today's workout:

Squat: 130# x4

Calf Press: 370# x 12

BB Bench Press: 75# x2, 45 x15

Barbell Shoulder Press: 55# x6

Cable Row: 90# x10

Lat Pulldown 90# x8

Today when I tried to bench press, not only were my ribs hurting, but I got a sharp pain in my shoulder near the bottom of the exercise. I had to drop all the way down to an empty bar to be able to do them without much pain. I dunno if I should stop working out and wait to heal?

If your ribs seem to be getting worse or not healing I would do exercises, which don't aggravate them. Continue doing the exercises, which you can tolerate and try the others in a few weeks to see if you’re ready. Pushing yourself may only hurt you in the long run.

Get well soon, and take care of yourself!