Boxing News: Calzaghe dominates Jones to go out a winner

bodybag

Calzaghe dominates Jones to go out a winner

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h9ixY3BGvJ9zKCnadexRfZfWqgYQD94B7RE00

HBO: Boxing: Fighters: Bio: JOE CALZAGHE

http://www.hbo.com/boxing/fighters/calzaghe_joe/bio.html

I think Calzaghe is overrated. The WBO title isn't a real title which he held in the Super Middle weight division for over 10 years. He hasn't defeated any significant fighters in their prime. He defeated Bernard Hopkins at 43 and Roy Jones Jr. will be 40 in Jan. 2009.

I don’t know what to think about Calzaghe either.

He makes a big thing about beating Hopkins and Jones, but they are both way past their best. That said Calzaghe has peaked over the last 2-3 years, whereas Hopkins and Jones where at their best 10-15 years ago. It can’t be helped if fighters are different ages, and if they’re at their best at different stages of their careers. It’s rare that fighters box when both contestants are at the peak of their powers, so you’ll often get these what-if scenario’s…

Also, you read different stories – Calzaghe was avoiding the big US fighters, then you read that it was actually the American fighters dodging him…. Then I heard that apparently Calzaghe has pulled out of 12 world title fights. Not sure if that is true, not looked into it. I think Calzaghe has avoided a few fighters over the years, though don’t think there’s really anyone out there for him at the moment. I hear Chad Dawson mentioned, not sure how good he actually is. There was Pavlik on the scene, but then he went and got beaten by Hopkins in August.

He was very, very good against Kessler and especially Lacy.

calzaghe is probably my favourite modern day fighter.

It amazes me how many people consider calzaghe to be overrated but more so how many people keep claiming that he ducks people!

In 2001 Hopkins agreed to fight calzaghe....then pulled out!

Before Calzaghe fought Eubank, Steve collins agreed to fight him, then pulled out!

Many, i think over half of Calzaghe's defences have been against Champions but they were ex champions who held titles one or two fights ago so he got no recognition for beating them.

And the champions Calzaghe did beat:

Chris Eubank- and this was far before Joe calzaghe even got near to reaching his prime

Jeff Lacy, who people only tried to call 'overated' after JC handed his A$$ to him!

Mikkel kessler who had a record of 39-0 and lost about 5 rounds(!) throughout his career.

Bernard Hopkins who people only call washed up because of his age, not ability and fought a dirty fight yet wasnt cautioned

Roy Jones who wasnt at his best but not the washed up fighter some people thought he was; and it was also a one sided pounding from rnd 3 onwards

I think Calzaghe will be like Larry Holmes who no one appreciated when he was champion but will be recognised as a legend years later.

oh and also Calzaghe hasnt pulled out of any fights but he has postponed them because of hand injuries; but in the end he fought and won!

Calzaghe Jones was an entertaining fight though no doubt, but the 'knockdown' in round 1 was actually an accidental forearm smash! The right glove didnt touch calzaghe.

Many, i think over half of Calzaghe's defences have been against Champions but they were ex champions who held titles one or two fights ago so he got no recognition for beating them.

Chris Eubank- and this was far before Joe calzaghe even got near to reaching his prime

Jeff Lacy, who people only tried to call 'overated' after JC handed his A$$ to him!

Mikkel kessler who had a record of 39-0 and lost about 5 rounds(!) throughout his career.

Bernard Hopkins who people only call washed up because of his age, not ability and fought a dirty fight yet wasnt cautioned

Roy Jones who wasnt at his best but not the washed up fighter some people thought he was; and it was also a one sided pounding from rnd 3 onwards

Calzaghe has won 21 title defenses, you only mentioned 5 champions 2 of which were washed up when Calzaghe defeated them. He defeated Jones and Hopkins in the light heavyweight division which really has never been a competitive weight divison to begin with. Most lightheavyweights are former middle weights how can't make the 160lb weigh-in anymore. I think Roy Jones Jr. is overated as far as his accomplishments in the weak light heavyweight division.

It works both ways - the top US fighters need to venture out of America more than they do, even allowing for the fact that it's in the US that the big TV/PPV deals are made so you have to allow for broadcasting concerns and that you have the mecca's of boxing in the US - MSG, MGM Grand etc.

Calzaghe has won 21 title defenses, you only mentioned 5 champions 2 of which were washed up when Calzaghe defeated them. He defeated Jones and Hopkins in the light heavyweight division which really has never been a competitive weight divison to begin with. Most lightheavyweights are former middle weights how can't make the 160lb weigh-in anymore. I think Roy Jones Jr. is overated as far as his accomplishments in the weak light heavyweight division.
i only mentioned 5 champions but i was pointing out that alot of his challengers were ex champions who had lost their belts a fight or two ago, and so there was no recognition given.

e.g Calzaghe was desperate to fight Robin Reid when reid held a belt but Reid wudnt do it and would only face Calzaghe once he'd lost his own belt

alot of light heavies are former middleweights (but then alot of middleweights were once welterweights, welterweights once lightweights etc etc), but Jones was a natural light heavy and hopkins purposefully put on 15 lbs of muscle to go from middleweight to light heavyweight division and unlike alot of fighters this extra bulk made him at least as good a fighter

alot of light heavies are former middleweights (but then alot of middleweights were once welterweights, welterweights once lightweights etc etc), but Jones was a natural light heavy and hopkins purposefully put on 15 lbs of muscle to go from middleweight to light heavyweight division and unlike alot of fighters this extra bulk made him at least as good a fighter
I've been watching boxing since the late 1970's. The professional lightweight, welterweight, and middleweight weight classes have been far more competitive than the lightheavyweight division over the past 30 years.

Off the top of my head I could probably name two dozen great boxers who've fought most of their prime in the lightweight, welterweight, or middleweight divisions since the late 1970's. Your comparison of boxers moving up in weight class to light heavyweight is ridiculous. Without looking on Ring Magazine's website, off the top of your head, name 10 great boxers who've fought most of their prime as light heavyweights in the past 30 years?