Help me get the body I want....

Hello everyone,

I was vegan from 97-03 and since 04 I've been eating some dairy (mostly cheese now and again). I'd really love everyone's opinion on the body I'm working towards. I think I may have a mild case of gyneocastia. I'm not positive but it seems like no matter how much weight I lose I still have fat under my chest. I've always had a concave chest so that probably makes it that much more noticeble. I created a post on a gynecomastia board and was curious if you guys would take a look at it and let me know what you think. I'd really appreciate any advice and/or comments you could give me. Thanks so much!

The post is here:

http://www.gynecomastia.org/cgi-bin/gyne_yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=11;action=display;num=1116730187

I checked out your first post and many people prior to working out that I have seen have the same body type shape. Instead of going straight into surgery, you should get a checked up by a doctor. For all you know you might not even have it. Nutrition is very important in how your body will shape up. Just because you are a vegetarian (now) or a vegan doesn't mean and shouldnt be the reason of attaining a good body. Its much more than that. Give more information on your self (bodyfat, worjk out schedule, diet, etc) and it will paint a more descriptive picture of what you are dealing with.

This is what I've been doing. I'm probably overtraining. I plan to go heavier from now on and not be in the gym as long (I'm in there forever! Like 3+ hours!). Pretty much do 3-4 sets of each exercise. I'm definitely getting stronger so I'm doing more weight but I've always been scared of doing too much weight in fear of injury. I always warm up with light streching and 15 minute light cardio. Here's my routine:

Monday:

Chest/Triceps/Abs

-Chest:

-Flat Bench Press

-Incline Bench Press

-(Sometimes) Decline Bench Press

-Cable Flys

-Dips (assisted)

-Triceps:

-Cable pull downs

-Lying barbell extension/close grip press

-Dumbell kickbacks

Wednesday:

Back/Biceps/Abs

-Back:

-Hyperextensions

-Seated Pulley Rows

-Lat Pulldowns

-Biceps:

-7s

-Incline Dumbbell Curls

-Preacher Curls

-(Sometimes) Straight Bar Cable Curls

-Forearm curls

Thursday:

Shoulders/Legs/Abs

-Shoulders:

-Military Press

-Dumbell Shrugs

-Front Lateral Raises

Legs (most of this is on nautilis not free weights):

-Leg Press

-Leg Extensions

-Lying Leg Curls

-Whatever the machine's called where you spread your legs

-Whatever the machine's called where you close your legs

Sunday:

Yoga Class (1 hour)

Abs are usually crunches on the ball, some flat crunches where I left my tailbone up for lower abs, and side crunches. I know cardio is probably the biggest thing I should focus on so I've been doing it after my workout (which make my workouts damn long - like 3+ hours!). I'll get on a treadmill for about 30 minutes and then get on a bike for around 20 minutes. I like the eliptical machines but they don't seem to work me out as hard (although I'm sure they're worse on my joints).

Does this help?

From your workout plan, I dont understand how it could take you 3+ Hours. And if you are staying in the gym that long because professional bodybuilders do it, dont. Those people are on a lot of stuff to be in there that long. Also, how long have you been on this plan? Also, what about your nutrition?

I'm checking out the gyno forum right now and have read all of the posts on page 1, I'll get to page 2 soon. There are a lot of interesting topics some of the responders brought up.

I know a few people with a simliar bodytype and I think it can be improved quite a bit with proper training and nutrition programs.

I think it is a good idea to be doing cardio after your training sessions, but they don't need to be 3 hours! You might want to try weight training for about an hour and then do some cardio after that for 30 minutes and try to make it pretty intense.

As you've mentioned and others have on the other board, you may want to consider doing cardio more frequently. Try to keep the intensity in your weight training and cardio at a high level.

Focus on healthy, clean foods (avoid a lot of processed or un-natural foods).

Your motivation sounds high, which is good. That is where most people struggle.

I'd say work at it for a while before taking on surgery. See what you can accomplish through dedication and hard work. Genetics do play a big role as everyone has said but I've seen many many many cases of people who overcame bad genetics and looked fantastic because they believed they could do it, had support from others, and worked their butt off to get it done.

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll get more feedback soon.

Hey SD Surfer,

Esquire Magazine (of all things) just had an article on this type of issue for men. They suggested that you do 3 weeks of "conditioing" exrecises, i.e. jumping rope, Airdyne, power walking, etc. Athen afte three weeks start adding push ups to your workout every other day.

They suggested the push ups will "tone" your chest without building huge pecs. Try that for the next three weeks. If I can find the article I'll give you more detail. But it is progressive in the cardio work, 1st week 20 minutes, 2nd week 25 minutes, 3rd week 30 minutes, 4th week 30 minutes plus your push ups every other day.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
Hey SD Surfer,

Esquire Magazine (of all things) just had an article on this type of issue for men. They suggested that you do 3 weeks of "conditioing" exrecises, i.e. jumping rope, Airdyne, power walking, etc. Athen afte three weeks start adding push ups to your workout every other day.

They suggested the push ups will "tone" your chest without building huge pecs. Try that for the next three weeks. If I can find the article I'll give you more detail. But it is progressive in the cardio work, 1st week 20 minutes, 2nd week 25 minutes, 3rd week 30 minutes, 4th week 30 minutes plus your push ups every other day.

Jon

Thanks Jon. Let me know what issue it was if you find out.

• 3 weeks later...

It takes a lot of guts to post what you have so don't take offence when I say this, but you need to concentrate 100% on your diet. I am a very strong believer in you are what you eat. You train far too much, and you obviously don't either push yourself in the gym, or concentrate on your diet. I can't understand why you have had to incorporate dairy into your diet agin, but that is your preference and I won't judge you. I am however 100% against surgery of any kind. Do yourself a favour and post us a food diary. You can have that body in as little as 12 weeks, and maybe even a better version. You have to be prepared (mentally) to put in the required ground work. You really, really need to concentrate on some cario work, and you shouldn't have to put more than 20 mins in a day, if your diet is spot on. I'm a great believer in the phylosophy that its 90% diet, and 10% exercise.

If you referring to the condition so lovingly put in (body building circles-not my words) as 'b#tches tits' then it doesn't look like it to me. I've known quite a few competitive body builders who aquired that condition through drugs, and you don't appear to have it. You do however, seem to be carrying quite a well dispersed amount of body fat, that if you lost may show some definition. I can also see quite a few areas that need considerable improvement. As I said, this is by no means a go at you as it takes a lot of guts to post what you did. I shall be posting some pre comp photos in a couple of weeks (but I am not posting for open discussion just to make me more determined to stick to my goals-you can all have agood ol' laugh then ).

If you are still convinces that it is this particular infliction, then you need to see a doctor and get a blood test as its hormone related.

Cheers!