5-day max push-up challenge!

Crystal

Alright everybody, time for a classic push-up (press-up?) challenge!

Starting next Monday, Nov. 24th until Friday Nov. 28th the challenge is to see how many push-ups you can do. Not all at once of course, maybe 5 here, or 10 there repeatedly throughout the day for 5 days. Full ones of course with proper form, but it will be on your honor.

This is a fun challenge, I've done it with my brothers (and over at VF). It does take a little discipline, the most I've done in a day was around 200. I'd do a set of 10 every hour, then as many as I could throughout the last few hours before bed. It really upped my strength in a short amount of time and is a lot of fun .

It will be legendary!

------------

Totals:

bodybag: 100

Crystal: 600

HCPinGviini: 50

I'm Your Man: 3610

Okay, that is all for this little comp! Thanks Bodybag, HCPinGviini, and I'm Your Man for participating

Edited by Crystal

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely in, I'm not doing any training really these days except the 100 push-ups program, I'm now at week 5 (of 6), you can see some videos in my Training log. I'm not in great shape these days but I can surely do lots of push-ups through the day. I was doing many push-ups during a week or two last winter, I wrote in my training log, about 600, and then 800, in 3 days or more I think, I don't remember.

I'm not doing any training really these days
Get back to that training, before we send the goon squad to your door.

Just kidding, or am I? don't forget to ask who ti is before you open the door.

I'm not worried, I don't lock my door and in Canada people don't shoot at people for trespassing private property. I'm just kidding or am I ?

I'm not doing any training really these days
Get back to that training, before we send the goon squad to your door.

Just kidding, or am I? don't forget to ask who ti is before you open the door.

I'm not worried, I don't lock my door and in Canada people don't shoot at people for trespassing private property. I'm just kidding or am I ?

It's probably more like "We are both kidding ourselves."

Yay, glad to see so many joining in! Try to post your daily numbers and I will keep a running total in the first post, well, until Thursday night at which point I get ready to leave early Friday morning for field work (don't worry, I'll still do lots of push-ups!). I'll edit the grand totals when I return on Monday to see who the big winner is!

@Fallen_Horse: Yes, over Thanksgiving, I thought that would add to the fun (does it count as weighted push-ups if you do them after feasting?).

@bodybag: what is your username at VF? I don't recall seeing you?

Let the games begin! (Monday . . .)

Some guy on veganfitness.net claims he used to be able to do 1000 push-ups a day. 500 consecutive in the morning and 500 consecutive in the the evening. I still think he's full of shit.

If I had to choose one (former) veganfitness member who is clearly full of shit...

500 consecutive push-ups? That's not impossible. But he should videotape it. There's a guy on youtube who posted a video where he does 200 diamond push-ups and then 10 hand-stand push-ups.

There's the vegetarian ex-marine Alan Jones, who have many world records, like 17 000 consecutive sit-ups and other things like that, see the list on my blog.

Anyway, to get back to this push-up challenge, the timing is so perfect for me, because I'm finishing saturday the 100 push-ups program, which was 6 weeks. So monday I have a new program : doing an infinite number of push-ups during all week, so thank you Cristal for this wonderful idea ! Is there a prize or something for the winner ? lol.

I have a big advantage on the others : I don't work ! This will be the last week until I get more busy, so I can do push-ups all day if I want. I could do easy sets of 20 every 10 minutes for 15 hours per day.

Question: are all kinds of push-ups allowed, as long as they are the same level of difficulty or harder? Like diamond push-ups, one arm, hand-stand, etc...

Anyway, I know the challenge is not started yet, but here's some videos of me doing the 5th set yesterday, with about 1 minute rest between each (20,23,20,18,56)

And then set 6 (54). But looking at it, it seems I wasn't going down enough.

I'd say all kinds of push-ups are allowed, from diamond to wide-grip, but not handstand push-ups. You have to be in a ~horizontal plane, and they have to be full push-ups! No partials here.

Well, I sure hope you guys push-up as good as you talk - feel free to post videos/pics as the week progresses!

Heh, 500 pushups are very impressive but certainly not impossible:)

The Guiness record is over 1k.

I used to do 150 regular ones (on palms) at some point, then I switched to

pushups on fists and at one point did like 100 in one set.

I was late for my Karate training and my trainer said - "100 pushups

punishment". He only counted push ups on fists of course. I had to do

100 regardless in how many sets.

I had done 70 max in one set and I said to myself -

Let's see if I can do all the 100 in one set. I tried and I did,

it was fun Since then, for some time, I did a set of 100 each 2 or 3 days.

This happened like 4-5 years ago.

I haven't done serious pushups for 4 years but I still

do 60-70 on my fists from time to time, just to keep shape

and to keep my knuckles hard

I wanna start doing more pushups again This contest would be

a good start. So, what are the rules - pushups on palms?

what are knuckle push-ups ? I'm looking for variety for next week.
Do a search on youtube. I can't find a good video of knuckle push-ups right now.

Make a fist with both hands. Knuckle push-ups are shoulder width push-ups done on the first two knuckles of each hand like a cross punch, palms facing towards your feet. They can also be done with your palms facing each other. I hope this description helps.

Months ago I watched a video on youtube of a guy doing knuckle handstand push-ups.

Starting next Monday, Nov. 24th until Friday Nov. 28th the challenge is to see how many push-ups you can do. Not all at once of course, maybe 5 here, or 10 there repeatedly throughout the day for 5 days. Full ones of course with proper form, but it will be on your honor.
Ms. Crystal, lets make this challenge ongoing and not end it on Nov. 28th. 1 day max.

I think the rules should be hands no wider than shoulder width apart. Feet no wider than 12 inches apart. Push-ups can be done on the palms, back of the hands, knuckles, finger tips, thumbs only or whatever feels comfortable.

what are knuckle push-ups ? I'm looking for variety for next week.
Do a search on youtube. I can't find a good video of knuckle push-ups right now.

Make a fist with both hands. Knuckle push-ups are shoulder width push-ups done on the first two knuckles of each hand like a cross punch, palms facing towards your feet. They can also be done with your palms facing each other. I hope this description helps.

Months ago I watched a video on youtube of a guy doing knuckle handstand push-ups.

Kickboxing Push-Ups : Kickboxing: Full Knuckle Push-Ups

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJ4POvWXa0&feature=related

Chibuu Phan's nuckles stand push ups

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ns1gvm8Ak

Thanks for those videos, especially the knuckle stand push-ups, I just tried it and it's way better for the wrists. It hurts the knuckles but after a few times it should be fine. I had stronger knuckles before, I used to punch for hours and hours on different surfaces, like little punches on desks/tables at my job when there was nothing to do, or wrapping my fists and punching on wood while watching movies at home. Bruce Lee used to do this and we've found destroyed stuff where he trained, like damaged cedar.