Female, 42 and Bulking - DV's Journal Part 2

DV

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I let myself get too much BF I think. I did get 20 lbs off, but I needed to get some more off for me to be happy going into the comp. But I am still experimenting with diets and supplements to try and get to where I know I can be. Interested in figuring out what went wrong too. Right now my guess it was just still too much carbs, and I will need to do veggies and protein drinks in the end (the 2 to 3 weeks right before comp). Though you know that I am coming in from a different place than you. I am an easy gainer of muscle and FAT, and it will take a little more for me to get to 10% BF than say for you.

As I am bulking I am trying to be good. I am up to 166 lbs already! I've started to put the brakes on and added a little cardio (elliptical - nice and low impact, and yoga on the other days) to keep the BF down this winter. I will be going to a new gym that is more bodybuilding oriented in December. Hopefully I will be around some motivational people (be omnivore or vegan. I just want to be around BBers again. Fitness focused people are OK, but they don't understand about focusing on gaining muscle mass and eating to support it).

How is your muscle mass coming along? Read that you have 10 lbs on, but weight doesn't mean a thing. Want to know how much more weight you were able to pack on your reps/sets/exercises. I am just maintaining right now. I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself that I was way too big for what I like (I think the 7 keto added alot of mass to my body, and it put it on in a weird way - like blocky football player style (as you once called it ). I decided two days ago to begin dieting again and get the BF off now (there is a show in March that I could do if I succeed this time). I want to see what I have underneath all this. I've been bulking for 3 months now, so my body can start to go thru a diet again (packed on 12 lbs in 3 months! Not good physically, but mentally . . . it has been yummy!). But I shall see, with all these holidays to go thru! I plan to just focus on cooking food for everybody else and enjoying other people's company, to get my mind off of the dieting (plus with these new 24/7 access pass to my gym, I can workout anytime).

I'm amazed at how fast you can put on weight - be it muscle or fat! It took me 12 weeks to put on 10 lbs and about 8 of them were muscle. I've gotten stronger in some ways but haven't been concentrating on just strength. My trainer changes things up so often that I never know what to expect. Seldom do we have high weight, low rep days (so I do those when I'm on my own). Regardless, his coaching is working. I've got more chest, tricep and quad definition and have had to give away most of my tops. My shoulders and upper back pack on muscle a bit too easily. If only the same were true for my lower body!

I'd say my biggest gain in the past 3 months has been with endurance. Also, I don't shake when posing anymore, LOL.

I hear what you're saying about being around BBers. I work out at 2 gyms and the one with my trainer has a serious lack of good physiques. My other gym has only one woman who plans to compete but she hasn't made any real gains as yet (serious waste of money as she has a trainer 3x/week for the past 6 months). She plans on competing in the same 2010 contest I'm leaning towards and she would be in the masters class with me. I hope she gets serious soon because I would love the competition!

That's because you used to live in Philly - and I'm discovering that I am somewhat of an acquired taste, just like vegan scrapple. Now, are you originally from CA or PA? Or neither?
Use to? I still do. Snoop Dog is from Long Beach, CA not me. I'm originally from PA. I like you because you're an oldhead like me.

BTW, do you have any photos of you posing posted on VBBF? I think I read somewhere that you are 5' 10". Your physique must be huge. Are you the worlds largest physically fit female vegan? I think veganessentials is the worlds largest male vegan.

DV, it's a true shame that you do not post here more often! But I really can't blame you because I totally see why. Hopefully this is some sort of phase VBB is going through. As the forum grows no doubt people with less interest in discussing fitness will join. But if you, Zack, L&G and the others come back I'm sure we can change the direction of where VBB is going. If I would decide I would probably scratch all of the "General" subforums and of course the good ole raw forum. I try to just ignore those from now on and pray for better days.

If you ever decide thatyou want to return and post more regularly (I dislike the spelling of that word) I hope that you know that you're more than welcome. I really miss your knowledge and energy.

Congrats on your gains. 10 pounds in 12 weeks is awesome! And 8 of them pure muscle is even more awesome!!

Bodybag, you confused me there! I don't have any posing pictures as I'm really old-headed and am not yet comfortable with pictures of me on the internet!

Johan, thanks for the kind words. I follow you around the forums at times, even if I don't post. I've been thinking that I might get back into posting more and just ignoring the raw stuff (except for Giacomo, of course). I find that avoiding certain members also works - just like in person! I'll have to start a different training journal since I'm cutting now and have a birthday in a few weeks.

Bodybag, the Long Beach, CA location under your avatar confused me as I thought you were in Philly!
Lets try this one more time. I do live in Philly.

My avatar is a photo of rapper Snoop Dog. Snoop Dog is from Long Beach, CA.

Got it?

OK Now I'm confused, who are you really, and were are you really from?

Oh, Bodybag, I did get it! Now, of course, you have to tell me where you live in Philly, where you eat, how long you've lived there, what you are doing for work/school and where you can get good pretzels now that I've heard Federal St. pretzels has closed down!?!

Oh, Bodybag, I did get it! Now, of course, you have to tell me where you live in Philly, where you eat, how long you've lived there, what you are doing for work/school and where you can get good pretzels now that I've heard Federal St. pretzels has closed down!?!
I'll PM you tomorrow. I don't disclose that information in public. I'm getting ready for bed.

• 1 month later...

Happy New Year from me too! I'm in town now..and guess what....I'm back on track! Training everyday, taking my supplements, including some you gave me (BCAAS), working with my trainer again, cooking in the kitchen, and back on the Cover of Willamette Week. I'm in town and looking for you.......not in a stalking way but to hang out, eat, chat, train, flex, pose, whatever. Cool. I'll phone soon. Off to gym now...I have a contest to get ready for.

Congrats on all your nominations as well....for best of 08 here on this community.

Thanks Denise - I hope you have a calmer year in 2009! I could not keep up with your schedule.

Robert, I sent you a pm.

Joe, I can always count on you to drag me back to the forum when I'm away for long. I've been sick for over a week, after being stranded outside of Portland due to the snow storms. Therefore, I haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks and I've lost some weight - probably muscle since I've had no appetite and have had some long stretches without food. I'm staying away from airports and sick children!

• 1 month later...