Crystal's Failed Grad School Training

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, it was awesome. Can't wait 'til our next workout - ya know, if you (any of you) find yourself in the area, you are more than welcome to join us

11 Nov 2008

Bench: 10 x bar, 10 x 65 lbs, 12 x 85 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs - whoa, almost called it a day here, but went on to do:

CGBP: 3 x 10 x 75 lbs - now arms were totally jelly, but continued:

Chins: 4 x palms facing in, 3 x same

Plank: 2 minute

*stretching

Killer day today, wanted to get a bit of volume in on bench after last week's max out. Stretching was really funny because me legs are sore from yesterday (darn lunges and SLDL's!!!) and my arms were gone, so it was hard to hold any stretch! Now I'm happily eating a big burrito back in my office

12 Nov 2008 - Wed

This cardio bunny hit up the eliptical machines again today. I need to change things up, its just way too easy to do the same thing every week. My goal of 600 calories burned was reached in 46 minutes, 6 seconds, faster than last week .

13 Nov 2008 - Thurs

DB Shoulder Press: 10 x 20s, 10 x 25s, 8 x 30s, 6 x 30s, 6 x 30s

Lats: 10 x 110 lbs, 8 x 130 lbs, 8 x 140 lbs

Leg Raises: 3 x 10

*stretching

Cut the workout a little short today. I've been a bit RA-achy all over today and I was hoping the gym would help, but the presses just made it worse so I called it a day, I know better than pushing thru this sort of pain! Had a nice long but mild stretching session afterwards.

Okay, Friday was spent at home baking and not working out, check out the food blog in my signature to see what I was up to . . .

15 Nov - Saturday it was my birthday today. Now I am officially 29, so I went climbing even though it was cold out (in the 50's). I was setting up to rappel after cleaning up the very first route of the day and I started shivering! Okay, one route was good, right? After getting back on the ground decided to go hike around instead . Went home after that and gorged on b-day cake (see signature link!)

16 Nov - Sunday Okay, okay. I am against violence but I do believe in self defense and have no problem with guns in general (we can debate this elsewhere if you wish), but I went out shooting. I don't own a gun, but my climbing partner has a few and let me use them. We went out to a range and were there for over 5 hours! My traps are SO sore today from it, had a lot of fun learning the proper/safe use of guns, how they work, etc .

Thanks bodybag

17 Nov 08 - Mon

Stayed home today with a bit of a stomach bug in the am (which I caught from my dad, he had been sick on Saturday), but by the afternoon I was feeling better so I dusted off my meager weights at home that total 42.5 lbs, went out in the backyard and did lunge-laps with my brother. Ouch, I think the most I managed at once was like 50 paces. Did 3 sets, and had warmed-up with a set of 8 each leg pistol squats.

Thanks LocalBrada, but do you mean I'm one year older or younger?

18 Nov 2008 - Tues

Cardio-licious day, bumped my bench day to tomorrow so I can meet-up with Phil again to lift . Started with 10 minutes on the rowing machine, then finished with 41.5 minutes on the eliptical machine. Went to my usual goal of 600 calories. Was greatful for the day away from lifting again, I think I may have strained my trap a bit from Sunday's fun .

I'm one year younger, which is why I blushed.

I checked out your cake blog, dang you sure can cook. I don't think I could stick to my meal routine if I had any of those meal options.

I've got to keep mine simple and routine or I'll fall off my diet faster than you can set an egg timer.

Man, don't talk to me about diet! I've been eating cakes and homemade apple pie all weekend - seriously, its because I live at home. I never ate this bad on my own! Darn mother who 1) convinces me to make my b-day cakes and 2) makes awesome pie and keeps me stocked up on So Delicious vegan ice cream. Dammit!

@Bodybag - don't worry, I blame my mom for a lot of things (jk! only some things. . . )

@Robert - yeah, totally should, but I have no idea how soon you have free time (next month, next year?). I'll be around through the holidays, but the weather will suck then (unless you like to ski). Let me know!

19 Nov 08 - Wed - Wahoo! Another workout with Philliped

Bench: 10 x bar, 10 x 75 lbs, 10 x 85 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs, 6 x 105 lbs

Push-ups: 3 x 15 x bw

CGBP: 10 x bar, 10 x 65 lbs, 10 x 75 lbs

Chins: 4 x bw

Hammer Curls: 10 x 15's, 10 x 12's, 10 x 12's

*stretching

Ya, met with Phil at my gym this time. Workout went really quickly, I don't think I rest as long with someone else around . Man, we need to hang out socially more often (Phil is awesome ) so we can focus more when we workout (just kidding, a little . . .).

After (or while?) doing push-ups, we decided we need to have a push-up challenge ! I'll post this elsewhere as well, but starting next Monday, Nov. 24th until Friday Nov. 28th we are going to see how many push-ups we can do. Full ones of course with proper form, but it will be on our honor. It will be legendary!

Had to get lunch afterwards (must feed growing muscles), we went to Sage's cafe this time. This photo looked okay on my little camera screen, but now up close we both have our eyes half shut! Oh well :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Fall2008/DSCF3816.jpg

19 Nov supplemental:

Later in the afternoon, after meeting up with Phil, went out climbing in Little Cottonwood Canyon and I led my first real trad climb! It was a 5.6, but that was good so I could focus more on the placement of gear and less on the technique of the climb. It was awesome . After that, did a tricky 5.9 on toprope that was all friction and mantels! Ouch. Climbed until the sun had gone down

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Fall2008/602e652a7fd6.jpg

22 Nov 08 - Saturday

Hiking today in Bells Canyon near Salt Lake City, probably out for 5 hours total even though it felt like longer! It was a lovely day, but much of the trail was iced over and had to go through some snow, although it wasn't ever deeper than a foot or two (1/2 meter tops for you metric peeps).

View up canyon from start of trail:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/Fall2008/3fb4af997a01.jpg

24 Nov 08 - Mon

10 pistol squat warm-up

Leg Press: 15 x 90 lbs, 12 x 140 lbs, 12 x 180 lbs, 12 x 230 lbs, 10 x 270 lbs

"Hack Slide" machine: 8 x 90 lbs, 8 x 90 lbs, 10 x 90 lbs - whoa, super hard machine, mimics front squats and am I ever weak for that movement!

Legpress Calf: 20 x 90 lbs, 16 x 90 lbs, 16 x 90 lbs

SLDL: 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 95 lbs, 10 x 115 lbs

Plank: 3 min

Push-ups: 15, 15, 15, 15

*stretching

Okay, wrist is really bad today so squatting was totally out (nothing that requires any sort of wrist bend!). Oh well, that "hack machine" really kicked my arse anyway. Taped up my wrist really good to do the SLDL's. In one aspect, it was a frustrating day, but when I stop to think about it the fact that I can workout at all is amazing and makes me smile .

Oh, and with the push-ups from throughout the day plus what I did at the gym, I'm at 200 so far for the competition and it is only 3:40 pm

25 Nov 08-Tues

Yes, today this was me:

http://logo.cafepress.com/1/6218814.1944911.jpg

Cardio session. 30 minutes on the eliptical, but changed it up to an interval workout instead of my usual "hill" program, then finished with 10 minutes on a rower.

Kind of had planned an upper body day, but my wrist is still buggin' a little so I'll see how it feels tomorrow That being said, total knuckle push-ups for the day is (so far but I highly doubt I'll do any more!) 235

I can only do knuckle push-ups, the regular ones hurt so much!

27 Nov 08 - Thurs Thanksgiving :D

30 minutes of cardio at home on a stationary bike. I've kinda been going out of my head the last two days getting ready for field work and working on school projects. I must say the stress plus not really knowing what the hell I'm really doing for my grad work have put me in an odd mood, sort of down lately (has killed my gym motivation, I've just been so tired!). I hope things clear up over the weekend

Hi Robert!

1 Dec 2008 - Mon

Pistol Squats: 10 for a warm-up

Leg Press: 15 x 180 lbs, 12 x 230 lbs, 12 x 230 lbs, 12 x 230 lbs

LP Calf: 20 x 140 lbs, 15 x 140 lbs, 15 x 140 lbs

Hack-Slide LP: 10 x sled, 8 x 90 lbs, 10 x 90 lbs, 8 x 110 lbs

SLDL: 10 x 95 lbs, 8 x 135 lbs, 8 x 135 lbs

Incline Sit-Ups: 3 x 8 x 25 lb-plate

*stretching

I don't know what it was, but I was super flexible today! I was but a couple of centimeters from doing full splits, I haven't hit that since 2004-ish. Was really fun, wish I had had a camera to capture the moment

Otherwise, just got back from the field yesterday and had a great Thanksgiving eating tons of Tofurkey, stuffing, roasted veggies, sweet potatos, and apple pie with vanilla so delicious. I ate leftovers for days while I was gone, it was tasty! Is it just me or have tofurkeys gotten better over the last few years?