Jaleel's training log!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

sometimes there's no reason, it just happens, sometimes for a few days, sometimes a few weeks. Or it can be psychological reasons like stress not necessarily biological/nutritional. But judging from the 3 lines you wrote, just be careful not to have too much oils from your omega-3 supplements has too much fats may slow you down. If you think sleeping may resolve the problem, it's better to sleep a good 8-12 hours than many small naps because you enter deep sleep (true body and mind recovery) only after about 4-5 hours of sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had lower back pain all week and that really impaired my workout today. I did 45 minutes on the stairstepper, then I moved to do legs, did some leg presses and some leg curls. I couldn't really do my full array of leg exercises because I felt too sore. I'm pretty sure the back extension machine is the culprit. I've come to the conclusion that that machine is a piece of shit and I should be doing more deadlifts instead anyways. I finished off my workout with 100 crunches, russian twists with the 2kg medicine ball until I was tired of doing them, then 15 minutes on the rowing machine.

Other than deadlifts does anyone else know some good lower back exercises?

Sorry to hear about the back pain. Some back extension machines are designed really, really badly and can cause more grief than anything else. One gym of mine has one that's very comfortable (but too light in weight), while the other has plenty of weight but a terribly uncomfortable position and therefore sucks terribly.

Time will be much better spent doing deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts, good mornings (safely, of course!), hyperextensions (with weight, if necessary), and plenty of squats since they do tax the lower back to some degree. I always tout the reverse hyperextension machine as being excellent, but so few people have access to one that unless you're in a specialized training facility or a gym that caters to hardcore powerlifters, you're unlikely to get the chance to try it. You can still emulate the movement weight-free by finding a high bench or table to lean over so that your hips on down are hanging off of it vertically, then extend your legs straight up so that you're in a prone position with just your front half on the table. Here's a clip of the real machine in action:

Here are some alternatives (not always quite as good, but still will get the job done better than nothing!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLGUUMBWFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZekiE2HVr0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4S24NV26o

Should hopefully give you a few ideas for new ways to work the lower back!

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking about being serious is a baby step in reaching your goals. Now you need to follow thru with the next baby step of doing one day of what you want to do. Then take a day or two of rest, and then start again! Baby steps till you can do 20 minutes of running (only an analogy ).

Oh pictures! We would love to see some pictures!!!!

It is nice to see you back! Hope you enjoyed yourself there in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Yes, more lifting weights and eating more! That is the way to go! Would like to see that reflected in your workouts! and in your food log here on the forum!

Oh! You are still there! Wow! I am a little slow in thinking that the internet is accessible all over the world. I've never been outside the US, so I forget to comprehend. Jeesh! I need to get out alittle more often!

The photos are cool. Love the hotel shot. It is very artistic. I love the linear lines in the background with the hotel, and the big rectangle sign in the foreground to give a great perspective!

The other shots of food, and the city itself with all the shops and advertising on every available space! People walking and talking all over. yeah, I haven't been out to a city in awhile either.

Thanks for the photos!

Diet while on vacation? Never heard of such a creature! Enjoy all the fruits and food they have to offer! You only do this once in awhile, and your body will lose the weight so fast when you get back! Let the country speak to you, as it seems to be doing already. Let your bodyfat get up to um . . . 10% instead of the 6.2% they said you were!!!!

I love to bike ride in the country! I use to go on all day treks around the parks of wherever I was living at the time (in my 20's). When you are out again, see if you can take a photo of the sign posts that are suppose to guide you! And maybe some more of the scenery (the photo of the landscaped corner by the big white building was cool!).

Again thanks for the photos!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I do several things to keep my lower back from bothering me, and to work out any soreness. Not that I am an expert. But I have in my day experienced enough back pain. I also buy into the idea that keeping your hamstrings, glutes, and surrounding muscles as loose and stretch as you can, will keep you further from injury.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/alt_superman.htm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8AZX7GnDI

http://www.ehow.com/video_2260356_doing-twisting-body-stretch-exercise.html

I find these to be better than any exercises/stretches were you are standing up, as in these exercises on the floor, there is less strain, and more support on the lower back.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep up your efforts Jaleel. Also with back pain i've had a lot of success altering how I sit, with posture in mind, and also when doing squats I just feel it out as I lower myself. If it bothers me I try something different. Repeat until you move in such a way that there is no pain. I assume the non pain position is the one that is correct.

Been really busy/stressed the fuck out the past couple of days so I've only gotten in 2 really half assed workouts (yet I always find the time to log in to this site).

isnt that the way it always is? haha. anyway just wanted to say that youre doing awesome! you look great. keep it up!

Anyways this sparked anger in me and I hit with a vengeance today.

That is hardcore!

That's the mentality I'm talking it about! Reading that made me a little bit angry, which in turn made me happy, which made me even angrier. That is the psychological mayhem that fuels crazy workouts!

Progress pics look good. Keep pounding the food down. Yo last night I got nauseaous from eating too much, I wanted to puke a little, instead I just started punching myself in the head and everything worked out. So there ya go.