ZMA

wannalift

there is finally a vegan zma supplement that i found. veganessentials is selling it on his site. i have benn waiting for years to try this as it has been tested to increase testosterone production by as much as 30%. no, its not a prohormone, but supports your body's ability to recover faster by giving the proper dose of zinc and magnesium aspartate and b-6. not trying to sound like a posting advertisement, but i've taken this twice now and have had the best sleep ever with very vivid dreams and woke up feeling very good. highly recommended. max growth p.m by irontek.

The best study I can find on the stuff, and the only one that I saw with some fast looking around, was done at Western Washington Uni. It showed something like 11% increase in strength compared to 4.5% for the placebo group. Wikipedia notes this about the study though:

It is important to note that this study was funded by SNAC Systems Inc. (the patent holders) and that one of the study's authors (Victor Conte) has equity in this company.

Here's something on Zinc and Magnesium -

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/2/585S

And here's the study they talk about - http://tinyurl.com/b77jh

not sure of any side effects. i can't imagine there would be any, but i'm no doctor. i could actually feel the differnce waking up the next morning with these. i think its the result of the great night sleep you get it and the lack of zinc/mag that i get from my regular multi-vitamin. i've heard almost all positive feedback from people about zma and have been wanting to try a vegan version for years. i'll let you know how my strength progresses, but i just started training westside so it might be hard to narrow it down to a new supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started taking ZMA.. so far, I'm noticing no improvements. What kinda worries me is what I just read about the testosterone thing... never heard of that being associated with Zinc and Mg! Is this safe for females? (The nutritionist I talked to said nothing about the testosterone factor! Yikes...)

update:

overall i would have to say that i am seeing a benfit to taking this. here they are along with the counters:

-i am getting a lot stronger. this is mainly because i joined a powerlifting team and am training westside style now so that was to be expected. but even my assistance exercises like tricep work are going up consistently. not conclusive, but a t least a factor is saying zma is benficial.

-most importantly, i am not nearly as sore as i was before. i used to train total body twice a week using 5x5. now i train 4 times a week and the workouts are way more hardcore. haven't been negatively affected by soreness that lingers on like i have in the past. especially my back lower back which gets hit real hard by squatting and pulling a lot.

its only been a couple weeks, but if i can sustain this quick recovery perdiod then i will probably opt for another 1 month supply. after that i will go off of it for 8 weeks or so and then i'll really know whether this really is the missing link.

I just started taking ZMA.. so far, I'm noticing no improvements. What kinda worries me is what I just read about the testosterone thing... never heard of that being associated with Zinc and Mg! Is this safe for females? (The nutritionist I talked to said nothing about the testosterone factor! Yikes...)

first off how long have you been taking it? if you have been taking it for a month and don't notice any improvement (strength, recovery, enduranc) then you shouldn't waste your money. as for the testosterone thing i doubt it would make the kind of impact in females as opposed to males (different normal levels of testosterone). of course you will have to reasearch and decide for yourself. i'm surprise the nutritionist didn't know about the inc in t levels. now wait, i'm not surprised

• 1 month later...

Is there any advantage to getting this particular blend, or would it be the same if I took zinc, Magnesium and B complex pills from a vegan supplier and drop all three pills together before going to bed? It seems it would be cheaper to get the individual components than pay for the proprietary formula. I can get veg-cap versions of all three easily.