Post Op, Healing

Thank you, Crystal! I know the pics aren't anything impressive, but hopefully when I reach my target bf% range the muscle group separation will be more obvious. I actually have separation on that bicep pic, but the lighting is so poor that you can't see it; same with the delts.

Anyway, hit the gym this morning and worked chest. Tomorrow is gonna be totally dedicated to back and if I am feeling up to it... I might hit some preacher curls just get that more balanced inner head look. But I rather not mess with it since I've been saving biceps for the home workouts.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that bicep photo is great, nice work.

I think you should do what works for you in this blog. I know what you mean about being self conscious in it, I am in mine sometimes too. But we should do whatever is going to help our progress. That's why we're here, right?

It looks like you're doing great, congratulations on your progress!

@vivalasvegans, Thanks for the praise. I'm gonna keep at it, especially back and shoulders.

Ok so THU night I went to visit my mom which I haven't done in awhile. Normally I sneeze a few times after being greeted by her little wiener dog, but man did I have the worst allergic reaction I've ever had. I sneezed non-stop for the 3 or so hours I was there, to the point where I had to leave. I got home and continue to sneeze up a storm to the point where the back of my throat was raw and inflamed. I wake up the next morning, thinking that I'd be fine and hit the gym. But no, my body had a different plan in store for me. I woke up with my chest muscles and ribs super tender, a fever, draining sinus, partially restricted throat and puffy eyes. So I ended up not going to the gym and spending majority of the day either in bed or in the shower taking advantage of some healthy steam.

Anyway, woke up this morning with a decrease in muscle ache, decreased body temp and insane chest congestion. Gonna head into the shower later and see if I can hack up what's in my lungs. After that I should be good. But let me tell you, I don't plan on interacting with that dog anytime soon.

Oh and it's odd for my chest and ribs to hurt after working out. I did slaughter them with supersets of incline and decline dumbbell press, but that isn't anything unusual for me. So I'm gonna chuck that up to the sneezing and allergies.

I am also hoping that I can kick this by either tonight or tomorrow so I can head to the gym and do back.

Ok for the past two days I haven't done any of the frequent cardio routine that I've been on for the past 26 days or so. Mainly from having that allergy attack and attempting to recover.

In the meantime, the stars aligned and an omen was presented to me. My IM certification on my truck was going to expire at the end of this month. So I went in THU morning to a place that I've been taking it for the past 10+ years and sure enough they were closed do to change in ownership and would be re-opening MON. So I held off on dropping the cash. Then last night I decide that I need to go restock on bananas and kale, the base to my green smoothie, and on the way back my transmission finally quits.

Now first let me tell you that I have done everything to reduce my need to drive. I've managed to limit my driving to 920 miles a year. Yes that is all! The main reason why I use the truck is to avoid walking in the winter months, since it's cold and the sidewalks are so poorly maintained that you either have to climb through snow or walk on the street which is very dangerous. I've been hit by a car on my left hip and rode up on the hood with the driver doing nothing but speeding up to get outta the situation. Let me tell you, that was no fun and I still have issues with that hip.

So I figured that all these incidents occurring within a a short time is some sort of omen to junk the truck and walk everywhere I need to. Work and the gym are only 3.3 miles or so one-way from my place. I also do my grocery shopping very close to the mall anyway. So between that and the morning walks to the gym (same-place) that should be 2 round trip walks (13.2 miles) on an avg of 4 times a week (52.8 miles). So gonna stick with that and see if I really need to re-introduce the frequent cardio routine I've been chucking away at.

Oh and trust me, today I am heading out to get reflector tapes for my coat. If they have one of those road worker vests, I am grabbing that too. I am going to do everything, including walking against traffic, to insure that the motorist SEE me.

Got up early this morning to time the walk to work, which was actually only 20 mins...(no idea how fast or slow that is, but I kept a constant pace the entire time) I had no motorist issues going to the mall/gym. Then when I get to the mall I see that they have posted new hours for the holidays that start tomorrow. Apparently this is going to last until Jan 2. Let me tell you my surprise, since I've heard talk about this for awhile now and I don't recall hearing that they were going to get enacted. Anyway...looks like my 7am gym routines aren't going to happen and I'm going to have to either go at 10am or at lunch time. I'll hit that up tomorrow at 10am and see how busy or not busy it is.

Getting back to the training up date, I walked to the gym, hit my back routine, stopped off at a few stores to get some supplies and heading back home. All in all a very productive day. Tomorrow is weight in, lets hope with the 2 days of no cardio and the 1 day of just walking that my progress isn't atrocious.

Oops almost forgot, I made 3 shakes to take on the road with me, since that would simulate what my payload is for the work day. I got to my destination just to find them frozen solid. Yes, it got into the single degrees here, but the wind-chill is what did the shakes in. I am pretty sure that 2 of the 3 shakes will survive my eating schedule, but that first one that I drink 30 mins into my shift won't defrost by then. I am going to have to think of some alternative, maybe those Weil Bars I have in the freezer; I'll pack 1 and 2 shakes.

Anyway, it looks like my diet might again be adjusted One meal out of the seven I eat a day shouldn't make that much of a difference...although it is a 22g increase in carbs

@sydneyvegan, Thanks! I just wish they would climb up more along the side of my neck when I am at rest. I think I would need to focus on neck isolation to achieve that. But I really like how slim and long my neck looks, so I am debating neck iso movements.

Gym will be closed on THU and FRI the mall will be jammed pack so I am going to avoid heading out. I'll hit biceps and delts on those days. Even though I wanted to get legs in this week

THU started with the frequent cardio routine since no work. Continued with that today and hit delts and biceps. For some reason my ribs and ribcage both are tender when I breath in deeply. Also I feel a slight chest congestion; no idea if this is a remnant from the allergic attack or if I'm experiencing a cold. I haven't been sick in a long while now, so no idea.

THU morning woke up and had to force myself to eat breakfast. Then threw it all back up about 15 mins after. Haven't threw up in ages, so I might be sick *shrug* Anyway, gonna continue on like nothings wrong since I don't want to have a repeat poor weigh in performance.

Weight: 201lbs @ 21.1% (42.4 lbs fat)

Looks like everything is back on track, fat down to were I was before the plague. Interval cardio + 4 - 20 min walk (~3.5miles x4) + workout...

Tomorrow morning is chest; found a crazy cool stair stepper machine, the one that Ronnie Coleman used in Redemption at his home gym. I am so going to jump on that machine and yell, "YEAH BUDDY" and freak out the old people!!

Oops didn't realize it was that long between posts. Routine hasn't changed other than legs. Been doing leg presses supersetted with calf raises. Then stretching hams and quads and hit sumo-style leg presses with wide angled stance where knees come past my shoulders. Then of course I finish it off with quad raises supersetted with ham curls. At the end, my legs were super tight and engorged. Pretty sexy

That was on the 1st, hitting that routine tomorrow morning. As for today, I spent 1 hour on the elliptical, then went 5 mins in reverse on 7 resistance to stretch out the hams and gluts. That was in the morning, after watching some football, headed back into the gym before closing and hit that Stair Stepper thing for 30mins.

Totally spaced putting what days I do what or even what exercises I do. Not like it's that important at this point but here goes.

MON - Legs

TUE - Chest

WED - Back

THU - Delt/Tricep

FRI - Biceps

I do cardio everyday, guaranteed 15 mins post work-out. If I am not scheduled to go into work, I'll hit the 15 mins every hour on the hour routine. Mainly I feel it out when it comes to cardio. I have an idea when need to go insane on the cardio.

As for lifting, last post gives you an idea on legs. Chest I do a circuit where I line up 3 benches and hit incline, flat, then decline--all with the same dumbs. Then I take a long rest and finish it off with an alternating flys and press every rep. That finishes my chest days which are normally very quick. I don't hit barbells as I'm find that this chest routine gives me a more rounded chest.

Back day, I start off with bent-over barbell rolls. Topped that off with T-Bar rows. Then start a shrug session which is normally heavy barbell shrugs. Then I do a superset of front dumbbell shrugs with rear dumbbell shrugs until failure. The reason I start this off before doing any lat work is my traps tend to engage. So I fatigue them before I work lats. Then I hit lat session which is Bent-arm pullovers with a barbell then wide grip pull up, rear pull up, lastly close grip underhand chin ups.

Delt/Tricep day is seated rounded delt raises, front raises, side raises, then finished off with shoulder raises. Rather simple and quick but in a circuit. Then I hit triceps with dips, overhead extensions, cable pulldowns and lastly barbell skullcrushers.

Biceps I do at home, since it's the end of the week and I want to make sure to go insane on cardio. I find that if I hit cardio hard then go slow and control with my bicep workout that I achieve a pump way quicker, since my heart rate is already increased. So my bicep routine is rather simple; I go wide grip on an Ez-curl bar with a 10-plate and a 5-plate on each side. I do the Ronnie Coleman partial contractions routine. Where you basically do 7-rep partial lower, 7-rep partial upper, then finish it off with 7-rep full contractions. Of course I don't do it as fast as Ronnie, as I am focusing on each and every contraction. Then after that I rest and hit the same thing with a closed grip so I can get the outer head of the bicep. Then if I am feeling up to it, I'll do some forearm work. Usually my forearms are super tight at this point so I don't mess with them.

Ok again other than the bicep and shrugs, I won't post weights. Since let's face it, how much I can lift doesn't help anyone else out when they are putting together a routine. Also I am not out to prove how much I can lift. I've got days I will test my max. I've got days I will increase the weight. I've got days where I will go light and really focus on form and full muscle contractions.

Anyway, it's time for bed. Cannot wait to slaughter my legs tomorrow morning!!

sumo-style leg presses with wide angled stance where knees come past my shoulders.
Now that Akebono retired you can take his place on the beach.

Akebono was and still is one of my favorite rikishi. I remember when he made it into the makunouchi. And I have to say I was very sad when I saw his danpatsushiki. The retiring of someone that great was something very emotional. I think I still have the ceremony on VHS...yeah I know VHS is old, but my friend Ken down in Seattle would tape the basho for me off of TBS rebroadcast and mail it to me up in Barrow. Darn that's something I miss!

Weight: 206.5lbs @ 20.5% (42.3 lbs fat)

Not much fat lost (-0.1 lbs) but excellent gain in muscle (+5.6 lbs), which is to be expected with my 3k cal a day. I'd like to be losing more fat, but I can't complain with that kinda muscle gain. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and see where it takes me. I definitely don't feel comfortable dropping below 200lbs, so this might be the way to do it.

I never could get into the whole gym thing because of that. It always seemed like I had to either sit and wait for a machine, or rush because someone was waiting for me to finish. BTW thanks for the sand bag idea, genus! I am going to pick up a few empty sand bags this weekend.