Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:52 pm 
Rabbit

Daniel wrote:
SeaSiren wrote:
Yummy! :)

Did you ever find out why your arms were falling asleep?

You know, it really hasn't gone numb since I posted :? , so I haven't really thought about it. I know I should still have someone look at it though. Still haven't any idea what the cause is.

I had this happen to me several months back. For maybe a couple weeks I would periodically get either one or both of my arms falling asleep, while I was sleeping and even during the day. It has also happened to my legs frequently for periods of time, then stopped. In both cases, I had been lifting heavy and gaining mass, I assume it was related, but since it went away I never worried about it.

Your diet looks real tasty, but if you want more mass you better pack in some more food! I eat more than that in half a day :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:12 pm 
Elephant

I was wondering because this happens often to me. Sometimes when I sleep to the point where limbs start to turn color. Just wondering if there was an answer.

Post subject: Friday -- Pull-day
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:19 pm 
Tyler and SeaSiren, that's interesting that you two have had something similar happen. Incidentally, after I posted that it went away it came back, but only for one night. I thought it might be related to heavy lifting, but it hasn't bothered me so much since my lifting has increased.

Tyler, I'm not too concerned with gaining mass, but I have been eating more. Actually, since I'm not keeping track of calories I don't know that for sure. I currently have less mass than I did at the end of June and would like to gain back about five pounds, but I'm not interested in getting huge. I do plan to add a couple supplements to my diet that should help me gain some weight. Namely cookies and fruit :) .

Yesterday's Menu
  • B: Cultured soy w/ flax & 2 pieces of toast
  • S: Energy bar
  • L: 2 burritos
  • S: Energy bar
  • D: Pasta
Friday 16 December 2005
  1. DL: (20x95) (10x155) (8x225) 3x5x305, 4x305, 2x305
  2. BOR: 5x5x125
  3. Chin: 3x5xbw+6 4xbw+6, 5xbw+4
The gym attendant was hassling me about deadlifting. Usually they don't notice me because of the thud-thud-thud of a herd of treadmills and the blasting teenybopper music (I seriously suffer on days when I forget my i-pod), but today the gym was almost empty. Plus I'm usually using lifting around the corner. Anyway, this affected my lifting on the last set. Don't know if I would have gotten all five reps, but I at least would have had four rather than two if I wasn't worried about making any noise :roll: .

This was my last week of five-by-five. By Sunday I hope to have a new program ready to go.

Today's Menu
  • P: Protein drink
  • B: Cultured soy w/ flax & cold cereal
  • S: Protein bar
  • L: 2 sandwiches
  • S: Protein drink
  • D: 3 burritos

Last edited by Daniel on Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Saturday
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:42 pm 
Saturday 17 December 2005
  • Power yoga
Today's Menu
  • B: Smoothie w/ flax
  • S: 2 cookies w/ soymilk
  • L: 2 grilled cheese sandwiches & protein drink
  • S: Corn chips w/ hummus
  • D: Sandwich & oven fries
  • S: 2 cookies w/ soymilk

Post subject: Now & Then
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:18 pm 
It was in June, six months ago, that I last did the five-by-five routine. I went back and compared my strength six months ago with where it is right now. The results are in -- and it ain't pretty.

Pull-day
Then (21 June 2005):
Deadlift: 5x5x305
Bent-over row: 5x5x125
Chin-up: 5x5xbw+10

Now (16 December 2005):
Deadlift: 3x5x305, 4x305, 2x305
Bent-over row: 5x5x125
Chin-up: 3x5xbw+6, 4xbw+6, 5xbw+4

Push-day
Then (24 June 2005):
Bench press: 5x5x160
Overhead press: 3x5x80, 4x80, 3x80
Triceps Dip: 5x5xbw+10

Now (14 December 2005):
Bench press: 2x150, 5x145, 4x145
Overhead press: 3x5x80, 2x4x80
Triceps Dip: 3x5xbw+20, 2x4xbw+20

Leg-day
Then (26 June 2005):
Squat: 5x5x200
Stiff-leg deadlift: 5x5x240
Incline sit-up: 3x25xbw+10

Now (12 December 2005):
Squat: 5x5x190
Stiff-leg deadlift: 2x5x240, 2x4x240, 5x240
Incline sit-up: 3x25xbw+10

My strength is equal to or less than what it was six months ago. And it is in the three main lifts (deads, bench and squat) that I am falling most behind in. This is very frustrating :x . I was hoping to at least break even, but I'm still playing catch-up with myself. It's back to the drawing board for me.

Post subject: Re: Wednesday -- Push-day
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:43 am 
Elephant

Daniel wrote:

:lol: Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:13 pm 
Elephant

Oooo! I love the tick! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:09 pm 
Elephant

Regarding the tingling, have found much on the subject from O2 deprevation (I do negatives and breath ups) to nerve compression from possible posture during workouts. Whereas the nerves may be compressed by slouched shoulders or your neck leaning to forward. Next time take note of which exercise you are doing at the time of the occurance or is it after (non applicable). (Mine is generally after work out)

Take Care! :)

Post subject: Re: Friday -- Pull-day
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:07 pm 
Rabbit

Daniel wrote:
Tyler, I'm not too concerned with gaining mass, but I have been eating more. Actually, since I'm not keeping track of calories I don't know that for sure. I currently have less mass than I did at the end of June and would like to gain back about five pounds, but I'm not interested in getting huge. I do plan to add a couple supplements to my diet that should help me gain some weight. Namely cookies and fruit :) .

I was just bustin' your chops. I just want everyone to have a belly like me so I don't feel bad :wink: Seriously though, if I don't eat tons every day I lose weight very quickly, and I often partake in my girlfriend's peanutbutter cookies and soy delicious :D

Post subject: gym-less
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:20 am 
I took the last week off to rest and work on a new routine. When I get to the gym this morning I find that the squat racks have been removed. Since I was at the gym to squat this was very disappointing. And I don't just use the rack to squat, I do the majority of my lifts from there. I quit the gym in protest and left. Now I'm gym-less with only a cheap bench and a pair of adjustable dumbbells.

Any suggestions on getting a decent workout with only a bench and 5-45lb dumbbells?

Post subject: Re: gym-less
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:34 am 
Rabbit

Daniel wrote:
I took the last week off to rest and work on a new routine. When I get to the gym this morning I find that the squat racks have been removed. Since I was at the gym to squat this was very disappointing. And I don't just use the rack to squat, I do the majority of my lifts from there. I quit the gym in protest and left. Now I'm gym-less with only a cheap bench and a pair of adjustable dumbbells.

Any suggestions on getting a decent workout with only a bench and 5-45lb dumbbells?

Why on earth would a gym get rid of their racks?! Did you ask if they were being removed to be replaced?

Post subject: Re: gym-less
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:35 pm 
epilogue wrote:
Why on earth would a gym get rid of their racks?! Did you ask if they were being removed to be replaced?

The gym's motto is "the judgement free zone," but like most judgement-free claims it's hypocrisy.

Here's are some reason's why I think the gym got rid of the racks.
  1. Most costumers don't use the racks. Most people join a gym because they want to be fit, but they don't know the first thing about working out. In fact, the personal trainers at the gym I was using didn't even know what they were doing. Not only are the racks not used because people don't know how to use them, but people fear what they don't understand. In the gym I used grunting and the other noises that come from heavy lifting are considered "judgement," much like some misguided souls think asking about ingredients is "judgement."
  2. Unlike machines, free-weights have parts that need to be put away. Although it takes only a few seconds, the staff didn't want to bother to put plates in the right place.
  3. It is assumed that free-weights are dangerous. Ignorant gym owners believe machines are safer. However, machines are not safer because they force you to move in an unnatural way. The gym owner told me that anything you do with a rack you can do with a smiths machine. Of course this isn't true; a machine can't do the same movements as free-weights.
  4. Racks take up floor space that can be filled by two or three treadmill with attached television screens. An amalgamation of two cruel inventions. (The treadmill was originally invented as a form of corporal punishment.)

Post subject: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:25 pm 
Monday, 2 Jan. 2006
Chest: Dumbbell Bench Press & Dumbbell Flye
Shoulders: Seated Dumbbell Press & Dumbbell Side Raise
Triceps: Lying Dumbbell Extension & Dumbbell Kick-back

Not my normal workout, but I'm trying to keep active without a gym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:53 am 
Gorilla

SeaSiren wrote:
Regarding the tingling, have found much on the subject from O2 deprevation (I do negatives and breath ups) to nerve compression from possible posture during workouts. Whereas the nerves may be compressed by slouched shoulders or your neck leaning to forward. Next time take note of which exercise you are doing at the time of the occurance or is it after (non applicable). (Mine is generally after work out)

Take Care! :)

I've get this. It's easily remedied by doing a neck stretch. Grab right side of head with left hand by reaching over the top. And pull head sideways towards left and hold for 10 seconds or so. Gets rid of it for a few days at least. Whenever my hands start falling asleep again I just do the stretch again.

Post subject: Abs
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:08 pm 
Tuesday, 3 Jan. 2006
Decline Crunch
Reverse Crunch
Side Crunch

Don't really know exactly how to do a side crunch :? . In fact, all today's exercises are new to me, but I'm happy to giving 'em my best shot. Below is a "before" picture, so I can keep track as to how this gym-less wonder training is going.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next