Decline Reverse Crunches - Isolating the Abs

Whenever I do decline reverse crunches I can't seem to leave my legs out of the motion and I feel too much stress is being put on them and not enough on my abs. Anyone know of a solution?

How about alternatives to work the lower abs without a gym?

edit: Originally I had Decline Crunches as opposed to Decline Reverse Crunches written here.

Edited by AllIveEverTouched

Forget working "lower abs" and "upper abs". Just work the abs

Most movements that are supposed to work the "lower abs" really target the hip flexors in your thighs. The musculus rectus abdominis (=abs) is ONE muscle, and it's main function is to hold and move the spine (and keep your bowels in place), not the legs (or hips!)!

So, any exercise targetting this muscle involves a movement of the spine ALONE (or static hold). It's not really important if you roll your hip or your shoulders upward, but shoulders is easier.

Do crunches, crunches and crunches as your main three exercises. Then maybe side crunches, reverse crunches, static holds, leg lifts etc. You don't need a machine to work your abs. Only be sure to do abs after all other exercises that require core stability. It's not a particularly good idea to do squats after 15 minutes of crunches

Okay then ab expert, I'll pose something else to you. How can you tell when you are properly flexing your abs (in a normal standing pose)? I'm a skinny guy (I'm sure a low body fat percentage but I have a concentration in my gut area) and still can barely see my abs unless I'm flexing. I just never know how to hold them "correctly" and I'd think knowing how would help in exercising them, no?

Also, what I meant to say originally was that I was doing decline reverse crunches. I'm going to edit this. Should I just avoid those now?