Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

Kathryn

Here are a couple of rootin' tootin' recipes with beans.

I am often a lazy cook, so it's nice to have healthy recipes that are fast to fix, like these.

"Can-opener bean salad"

Mix together 1 can each, drained and rinsed: kidney beans, black beans (or black soy), garbanzo beans, green beans (I use organic). Add I small jar pimentos and/or 1 can artichoke hearts, halved and or/1 small can sliced black olives (drained and rinsed to remove excess salt).

Moisten a bit with an italian or vinaigrette dressing, and serve on a bed of lettuce (I like torn romaine).

Feel free to substitute any beans you like, or add any other favorite salad ingredients.

"Baked beans" (adapted from a recipe in "Oxygen" magazine).

Preheat oven to 350 degree.

Stir together in a bowl (being careful not to mash beans): approximately 28 ounces canned vegan baked beans (I used one large can of Bush's), one can each drained and rinsed kidney beans, black soy and black beans. Add approximately 1/2 cup catsup, 1 Tsp. prepared mustard, 1 Tbsp. maple syrup (or sweetener of choice--I'd add a bit more next time). Stir again.

(Option: either saute 1/2 diced onion until tender and add, or sprinkle in some onion powder--about 1/2 tsp.)

Transfer bean mixture to a casserole dish and bake uncovered about 30 minutes.

(Again, feel free to increase or decrease seasoning amounts to your taste, or substitute your favorite beans, which is what I do!).