Nutrition Data Updates!

Fallen_Horse

Hundreds of new foods will soon be available on NutritionData.com and updated nutrition information for many others will be added as well. The new data comes from the USDA's Nutrient Data Laboratory.

The final phase of our update is scheduled for January 6th, after which all of the new data will be available on the site. (Note: Access to your saved foods and recipes will be briefly suspended from around 6 to 9am Eastern time, while we complete the process.)

What's new?

Over 200 new foods will be added to the database, reflecting new foods that have been recently introduced to the marketplace or foods that have simply become more widely consumed in recent years. Many will be of particular interest to the Nutrition Data community, including:

* 28 brand-name soy products, such as various flavors of Silk soy yogurt and soymilk

* 66 soy-based vegetarian foods, including Worthington and Morningstar brands

* 12 new breakfast cereals, including several Kashi brand cereals

* 4 types of dark chocolate representing different cacao levels

* Spray (spritzer) salad dressing

* Grass-fed beef and bison

* Pomegranate juice

* Wild blueberries

* Refried beans

* Microwaved vegetables, including beans and corn

* Several new varieties of canned soup, including lower sodium soups

* Amaranth

In addition to new foods, nutrient data were updated for many foods already in the database. The newer data reflect changes in the commercial food supply as a result of food manufacturing and agricultural practices (as well as some error corrections). Nutrient data were updated for:

* dairy products like cottage cheese and sour cream

* infant formulas

* farmed Atlantic salmon

* several types of cookies, crackers, and pastries

* several types of prepared foods, like chicken pot pies

* fast food items

A few foods were removed from the database because they are no longer available in retail stores, including several cuts of beef (most of the removed products were beef cuts with a ¼ inch fat trim; Beef cuts currently available in the retail market contain 1/8” or 0” of external trim fat.) and a number of dry soup mixes that are no longer on the market.

How the update will affect your existing foods and recipes

If you have recipes containing foods that have been removed from the database, that ingredient will be tagged as "obsolete" in your recipe, and the nutrients from that ingredient will no longer be included in your recipe analysis. To update your recipe, simply search the database for an appropriate replacement ingredient and add it to your recipe. Your recipe analysis will automatically update when you save the recipe.

Over the coming weeks, I'll be taking a closer week at the new data and sharing my observations with you here on the blog. I can already see that there are a few suprises in store!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the most information I can find on Red Star brand vegetarian support formula nutritional yeast (some brands don't have the B vits added):

Serving size 1.5 tablespoons (16 gms)

Calories 60

Fat 1 gm

Carbs 7 gms

Fiber 4 gms

Protein gms

Sodium 5 mg

Vit B1 640% (RDA or whatever measurement they're using)

Vit B2 565%

Vit B6 480%

Vit B12 133%

Niacin 280%

Folic Acid 60%

Selenium 32%

Iron 4%

Zinc 21%

Dieters, notice those calories.

An extra 250 calories a day will put on a 1/2 pound a week or over 20 lbs a year. You could also take off as much decreasing your calories by that small of an amount.

Nutritional yeast isn't something to just dump on your food unmeasured. LOL, like I used to do.