Best clean and press/power clean

jonathan

i suppose that this is kind of a olympic lifting thread - though viewed through a powerlifters eyes.

i have for the last 5weeks been training my clean and pressing a bit and i have made good gains. 95kg was my best power clean at the start of the routine and i got 100kg today for quite an easy rep after my working sets.

so what are peoples best overhead lifts?

my stats:

clean and press 90kg

power clean 100kg

strict press 77.5kg (seated)

havent tried snatching - its really technical so ill wait til i have some tuition.

jonathan

I haven't bothered much at it. 10 years ago I did 200lbsx3 for multiple sets of clean and press, this combined with basketball gave me a great vertical. Last year messing around I cleaned 200 once. I also really hurt my back once when doing reps with 185 after already tired a few years ago.

Haven't done power cleans yet, though I have done hang cleans, though the most I have attempted has been 165 lb or so.

Jerk 185 lb

Push Press 145 lb 3x6 (never maxed out on this)

Strict Press 135 lb (a while back, haven't tried this in a while)

I have been working my overhead pressing, and I know I have more in my jerk, and plan to hit 200 lb in the next 4 - 6 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

got a new pb on the power clean last night - the session went like this:

1x130lb

1x195lb

3xfx231lb - really hard to mentally prepare myself for this. whipping hte bar up and ducking under it requires a leap of faith!

1x231lb!! smooth rep - havent been so happy to nail a pb since i broke 400lb with the deadlift!

i swear, having loud aggressive music is the key to this exercise - it was sick of it all this time!

jonathan

got another pb on the power clean today - i was especially happy with it as it was at the end of my session so i was really tired.

heres how it went:

1x90kg

1x100kg

fx107.5kg

1x107.5kg(237lb) - hard rep, had to go deep to rack it but it felt good

i think that if i am fresh, i should be able to get 250lb - it would be one hell of a milestone!

jonathan

new pb for the clean and press today, this is how the workout went:

5x57.5kg

2x77.5kg

fx97.5kg - missed it about 5inches from lockout

1x97.5kg - strong rep. might have got 100 new pb by 5kg

97.5 is actually a milestone in itself as my oly bar is crap and weighs 17.5, so 97.5 is 2 20's on each side

tried, just for a laugh, to clean 112.5kg, for another 5kg pb, but failed three times. the third time was pretty painful, as i got under the bar, but got somewhat squashed and the bar hit my left leg, just above my knee. nothing serious but pretty pissed i didnt get it. that said, power cleans are totally a mental exercise, so im happy in a way just to have gotten under the bar!

jonathan

ps - are me, jay, tyler and ryan seriously the only people who do olympic/heavy overhead lifting on the board?!