Jesse wants to bulk up +20lbs.

Zack

Also a food journal is going to help a lot to chart your caloric intake as well as allow others to advise you. You might want to think about consuming oats (oatmeal), potatoes and/or peanut butter for high carb sources; once if not twice a day in addition to whatever your eating regimen is. Also those with high metabolisms eating less frequently with higher calories consumed during a sitting is important. Absolutely no grazing or snacking as that'll just support your higher metabolic rate. Eating big before bed is another way to pack on some weight.

Hey jesse I started out in your boat. I weighed only 140lbs when I first began weight training and Ive been all the way up to 223lbs. Pretty much stick to your lifting weights and make it your life(if you enjoy it that much). Thats what I did. If you want to make a big change you have to be passionate about it. Food comes next. You can probably eat all the food in the world and still remain the same weight im sure. You look like you have a very fast metabolism. Glad to see you have started a journal. Stick to the weights, eat often, and be happy.

When I started training, I couldn't even get one rep with this 44.1lbs (20kg) bar in the gym. The gym also had smaller bars, but I was too shy and clueless to even try it. I just had my gym mate assisting me with that 44lbs bar and now I've progressed a bit, I even had my first plates this month. But because I have an eating trouble, my gains are bad too, I'm sure that you'll do better and get stronger faster than me. And you have the advantage of being a guy, your hormones will do the trick for you.

Best of luck to you. I'll have to post to your intro-thread too as soon as I've slept a bit.

The gym I go do is pretty low tech (old school lifting machines and primarily free weights) but seems to have what I need. After I run on the treadmill I went down the line of lifting machines to get a feel for what each one is like. Eventually I plan to focus on a different group of muscles each day but im not sure how to go about that or what the best combination would be per day.

I plan to go 5-6 days a week, as being a freelance designer offers plenty of free time. I found myself to be very sore after the first day, which I assume if from my lack of exercise and I guess will improve as I move forward. I rarely touch the free weights for fear of hurting myself, as I said I am not very strong. So the machines seem to be the best outfit for me until I gain some strength and confidence. The free weights I do use are dumbells for curling and today I tried dumbells in combination with squats but it felt very awkward so I'm not sure If I will continue.

The gym doesnt appear to have a working leg press so I'm wondering what I could use in its stead.

Old school machines and free weights? Sounds like a pretty good gym Starting with machines to begin with is fine. That's what I did my first few weeks in a gym, as I completely lacked the confidence to even try benching with free weights. This was made worse (or so it seemed to me) in that the free weights were in a room slightly recessed from the main floor, and I was too intimidated to go back there for quite some time But you should try to move on to mostly free weights once you feel confident, as generally speaking you'll see better results overall from free weight exercises.

Don't worry about there not being a leg press. Squats are a much better lower body, and overall body, exercise. They can be a bit tricky to learn at first - this site (http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=52) does a really good job of explaining the basics, both of squatting without weight and with added weight. Stumptuous, the website with the squat articles, is oriented towards female lifters - but it is legitimately the best site I know of for online weight training instruction, male or female. The articles on the site were invaluable to me when I first started lifting.

You can squat with just your bodyweight, which is good practice for eventually doing squats with a barbell, to get started, or jump right into barbell squats.

I agree with Zach about your diet. Definitely try to eat more food; I'd say you'll need to at least double what you ate today, possibly more. If that seems like too much, just try to gradually increase the amount you eat every day. Your food selection looks solid, though. Maybe a bit more veggies for general purposes, but as far as gaining weight it's not going to make much difference. The main thing to worry about is taking in a decent quantity of carbs and protein, like you said, such as fake meat, spaghetti, protein shakes, etc.

Good luck!

Jesse, congrats on your courage to go into a gym. I started out a skinny boy with no muscle, and I know it is intimidating. The first thing I would do is find a trainer who really knows what they are doing. Someone who understands good form and technique. This helped me more than anything else. Most people in the gym lift improperly. Almost every injury I have ever seen in the gym has been as a result of bad technique. Keep it simple, compound movements, old school heavy (relative term) lifts. The only time you should see a cable is pull downs, and then only after you have done pull ups. Stick to deads, squats, cleans, presses, and other power movements. If it is a machine, don't use it.

Second, cut that running before you lift. I would cut all cardio for now, but if you must do cardio, then do it separately. This is critical.

Third, drink at least a gallon of water a day. Keep your water level high. Muscles are 70% water, and water makes the body run.

Fourth, eat some protein, at least 1.5 grams for every pound of lean body mass you own.

A lot of folks think supplements are the answer. I am not a big supplement guy. I like a good vitamin like Animal Packs. Creatine, No Explode, and aminos are all useful products, but not necessary for gains.

Plan your diet two or three days out at a minimum. You plan your workouts, so plan your diets. Know exactly what you are going to be eating Tuesday at 2PM on the fourth meal of your day. It is a lot of work, but you are saying you want to make a huge change.

Agree with above on the free weights (squat, squat, squat!), water intake and protein intake.

A few other things. ... on cardio to insure gains while keeping your cardiovascular system health I recommend LIGHT (see LIGHT) cardio 2x's per week such as a treadmill at a steady faster paced WALK (see WALK) for 20mins. You in no way shape of form should be doing as much cardio as you are for your goals....... hehe hope that was clear

Next get more carbs in you .... I would like to see more grains in your diet and a heck of a lot more cals... still sticking to the 1.5g per lb (or more) of protein. A decent meal before bed, something that will metabolize slowly. A meal immediately upon rising as well as water (your body has been deprived all night). 2 good rest days and a min of 8hors down time... preferable sleeping but down and quiet just the same.

Carb up before lifting, protein after. Yes on BCAA's during training, creatine and a good multi. I also would keep your lifting to 3x's per week on a split.

I am on the no soy train .... so I personally do not like to see mock soy products and protein powder in one's diet. You can through trial and error see if it works for you.

Good luck with your goals, I look forward to following your progress.

• 1 month later...

Yo I hope you're making progress - gaining mass and getting stronger ! Eat high calorie meals like a huge plate of pastas with olive oil, bread... post-workout a double serving protein shake, later some nuts... Focus on the high calorie fruits: bananas, dates, avocados...

Do some exercices like squats, deadlift, bench press, pull-ups, etc... Sometimes very heavy even if you can do only 1-3 reps; sometimes less heavy, aim for the 8-12 range.

Eat nuts all day long and eat the other food. Almonds, cashews, peanuts (legumes actually). I didn't read all of this, but you eat less than me on the previous page and I'm loosing weight and gaining muscle. Oh yeah and grains, grains, and more GRAINS. I miss those grains, I barely touch them. I'm on a slow carb vegan thing that's working for me since I was fat. Yep.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...