Penguin lifting weights (HC-PG)

I read too late today that my gym is only open for 9-17 in Saturday (+ Sunday), so I didn't have the time to go to the gym today.

I guess I'll head for a walk or jog, if it isn't too slippery outside. And maybe some negative chin-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, bw squats etc.

Any suggestions for more?

Pistols, burpees, hindu squats, horizontal pull-ups, dips (furniture can be used), box jumps, standing broad jumps.

http://www.bodyweightculture.com/

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've really started to love jogging. Last summer I hated jogging and I was sure I was never going to jog, but now I feel it's so enjoyable and damn... I'm so in love right now.

Today I was jogging with my doggie. For about 45 minutes or so. She stopped us a few times, but I got a good sweat still and just had to go to the shower right after that.

Now I'm so relaxed. It feels as it was midnight already, as I'm feeling a bit sleepy already.

This upcoming week I'm going to enter Ryukyu-kempo, since I stopped boxing and I'm now able to start kempo all over again after two years. I hope all that's forgotten will come back soon, so I might be able to get myself 4. kyu by next Spring.

e. And my christmas present this year will be vegan christmas (not just for me, but also for my dad, his fiancée and my little sister) and they're going to be vegetarian for at least a month after Christmas.

I love reading your journal It's good that you love jogging now. When you do it just because you feel like running, it's really great, you can think about things while running, or just enjoy some music, or empty your mind and relax

wow it's so cool that your whole family will have a vegan christmas And then vegetarian for 1 month. You had this idea ?

I love reading your journal It's good that you love jogging now. When you do it just because you feel like running, it's really great, you can think about things while running, or just enjoy some music, or empty your mind and relax

wow it's so cool that your whole family will have a vegan christmas And then vegetarian for 1 month. You had this idea ?

Yeah. It was so much easier to jog/run, when I really liked it and didn't just force myself to do it. I should get myself better headphones, so that I could listen to music while running.

Yeah, it was my idea. As I wanted to have something un-materialistic as a present, I thought that they shouldn't give anything to me as I don't need anything, but they should show some sympathy for animals instead and be vegetarians for that one month. Idea behind this is that after that my dad and my little sister would learn how to cook food without meat in it.

And my little sister's going to inform her school that she's a vegetarian, so that they'll prepare her some vegetarian food. But I don't know, how it goes as she's studying catering and they prepare some meals there too... We'll see.

This upcoming week I'm going to enter Ryukyu-kempo, since I stopped boxing and I'm now able to start kempo all over again after two years. I hope all that's forgotten will come back soon, so I might be able to get myself 4. kyu by next Spring.

This is really great too ! What made you want to start Ryukyu-kempo again? That's really cool, all this energy that you have, and your aspirations. Hope it will be better than the boxing class

This is really great too ! What made you want to start Ryukyu-kempo again? That's really cool, all this energy that you have, and your aspirations. Hope it will be better than the boxing class

It's just that I really really want to keep myself active.

Lol, making notes here:

Ryukyu-kempo

Mon 19-20 @ Nääshalli Budo-6

Wed 20-21 @ Nääshalli Budo-2

I was at the gym Monday, did some Clean and Presses with 15kg, Front Squats with 15kg too, Bench Presses with 25kg, 22.5kg, 20kg and then shoulder presses with 7kg dumbbells. Then I also trained my calves in Leg press with 90kg, 75kg and 65kg. I felt so weak after that, lol. Then I tried this "Roman chair" or what's it called. It felt so weird, I was so sure, I was going to fall and crack my skull or something. But I did three sets of ten reps with my bw only.

Ryukyu-kempo

Mon 19-20 @ Nääshalli Budo-6

Wed 20-21 @ Nääshalli Budo-2

Hmm, I forgot, that it was at 20, not at 19 today.

Well at least I did my gym routine today. Met Mikko today too, but I didn't follow his advises. I met my friend's friend today and he knows Mikko and he guessed right away, who I was talking about, as I talked to my friend about a guy, who's trying to hit on me by "personal training" me. lol

Today: Clean and Press, Overhead Press (this was more like a military press really), Front Squat (Full), supersets with no rest: Weighted Back hyperflex and Sit-ups in that "machine", dumbbell flyes, bicep curls...

Edited by HCPinGviini

That's good When are you gonna do that hardcore circuit training thing that I wrote? Your arms will be completely finished after this

I'm so afraid of it. lol And there's only 1kg, 2kg and 3kg weights at my gym and you wrote about 1,5kg and 2,5kg weights.

And I feel a bit shy doing that at my gym. lol

lol you seem terrorised. No I didn't say 1,5kg or 2,5kg or things like that. But don't do the shadow boxing with free weights then, but if you do the circuit training thing, the plus is that even if you lif less heavy reps than on the other days, you still lift a higher tonnage in total at the end of the training session, because you can do more reps, and have time to do more sets too, since there's no rest. It can be beneficial for your muscle grownt.

lol you seem terrorised. No I didn't say 1,5kg or 2,5kg or things like that. But don't do the shadow boxing with free weights then, but if you do the circuit training thing, the plus is that even if you lif less heavy reps than on the other days, you still lift a higher tonnage in total at the end of the training session, because you can do more reps, and have time to do more sets too, since there's no rest. It can be beneficial for your muscle grownt.

Sir, yes Sir.

As this is also a food blog, I'll post here a bunch of foods I've taken pictures off

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/HC-PinGviini/Food/P7260490.jpg

Sweet and Sour with brown rice and a glass of juice

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/HC-PinGviini/Food/PA060080-1.jpg

Cranberry muffins

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/HC-PinGviini/Food/PB051110a.jpg

Plain vegan "omelette" made from gram flour on a bread with some vegan mayonese. MY rebellion against raw veganism!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/HC-PinGviini/Food/PB081138a.jpg

Soy Schnitzels, mashed yam, tomatoes and fruits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As IYM said, I haven't updated my journal for a while so now that I got back to the gym for real finally, I can get to post.

I've said this in the chat room before but I'll say it again so everyone else can see, why I haven't been training lately. I was sick with a flue for a week and later I had to struggle to get back to the routine. I did some bodyweight training still while I was sick but it wasn't anything special.

Like last friday I had a pretty intense ab training session and after it I really had to try my best just to get up from the floor. So it was quite intence.

Then yesterday, as Lena01 suggested, I tried horse stance for once again, after 2,5 years of not doing it at all. First 90 sec, then again 90sec with my feet shaking like crazy for the last 30 seconds. Then third time only 60 seconds as my muscles totally had enough. I almost fell onto my arse and I had to grap the chair near by so that I could manage to stand on my feet. But it was really worth it and it totally felt great!

Today at my gym I felt so shy that it took me a while to get myself to do anything. I felt dozens pairs of eyes watching me after I noticed this one guy staring towards me intensly while talking with his friend (who was in a way different direction at the time). made me want to hide, but after a while I had the courage to start squatting. And then Mikko shows up and I just want to slap him as a reward from before, but he somehow didn't come near me and I had a barbell in my hands so I just focused myself to squat.

So today:

Squat 8 x 15kg, 8 x 15kg, 6 x 20kg

Overhead press 10 x 20kg, 10 x 15kg

Pullover 3 x 35kg, 8 x 30kg, 6 x 35kg

Good morning 2 times 10 x 15kg (noticed that my hamstrings need some serious stretching)

back, hyperextention 10 x BW + 10kg plate, 7 x BW + 15kg plate

Bench press 14 x 20kg, 6 x 20kg

Leg press 10 x 65kg

Leg press for calves 26 x 55kg, 20 x 60kg

Roman chair 10, 10 ( I might have been able to done more, but I seem to fear that if I fail, I'm going to have a huge head ache after... And my energy was already dropping before my bench press so I was pretty low at this point)

Dumbbell curls (2 x) 10 x 5kg, (2 x) 6 x 6kg ( my left arms wrist was feeling pain with my 5th and 6th rep so I stopped)

Now I still have left my horse stance and maybe some sit-ups, if I feel strong enough after.

That's good that you came back to training And I'm impressed by your numbers. Especially on some exercices that I wouldn't dare doing even with zero weight on the barbell, lol. Because I hurt myself trying to do them with too much weight or doing them not properly. I'm doing a similar workout routine than yours, and, just my opinion, you should remove the Pullovers and the Good Mornings, and replace them with Deadlifts, Rows and Chins. Or if you want to do Good Mornings, you can do them with just an empty barbell, it will do the samething. Even Bruce Lee serioulsy injured his back doing this exercise, then said it's better to do it with no weights and it's as efficient.

That's good that you came back to training And I'm impressed by your numbers. Especially on some exercices that I wouldn't dare doing even with zero weight on the barbell, lol. Because I hurt myself trying to do them with too much weight or doing them not properly. I'm doing a similar workout routine than yours, and, just my opinion, you should remove the Pullovers and the Good Mornings, and replace them with Deadlifts, Rows and Chins. Or if you want to do Good Mornings, you can do them with just an empty barbell, it will do the samething. Even Bruce Lee serioulsy injured his back doing this exercise, then said it's better to do it with no weights and it's as efficient.

Impressed by my numbers? Wow, I couldn't have thought about that before as to me my weights seem so light. It seems as I was only playing around with a lighter barbell and not being serious at all, even though this is as good as I seem to be able to do at this point. And I've added the barbells weight to those numbers, so as you can see, I hardly use any plates at all.

To be honest, I hate deadlift. My form sucks and I can't seem to be able to fix it and I would hate to do it in a bad form. I can't seem to be able to keep my back straight. I wouldn't want to hurt my back. I think it's because I've used to lift with my back and not with my legs and I'm sure that there's also a weak muscle-factor involved. My hamstrings and glutes aren't just as strong as my quads (and overall I'm a weakling ) or then again my back might just stronger. Or then again it just might be all because of fear. Who knows...

And I don't really like Good Mornings (that much) either with the barbell (but more than deadlifts for sure!) as the barbell on my neck/upper back isn't that comfortable to me. So I'd be more than happy to hear that you'll have the same effect with no barbell at all.

Rows I've been planning to do AND I actually did some errmm... Vertical rows with a 15kg barbell before those squats etc. So I might as well add those into my program then for good.

Today:

Horse stance 120 secs --> 45min break --> 62secs (failed to do 90secs) --> unknown time sitting on my arse with my legs shaking madly --> 60 secs.

That 120 seconds wasn't as bad as the next two 60 second sessions. I honestly felt like dying and in every break I had this weird superrelaxing feeling in my legs when I sat down. I luckily did this while I had a chair right behind my back as last time I did it I had none and standing up from this position felt so awfully hard at that time that I felt lucky to be able to just sit down after this.

Today I didn't go to the gym as I only had slept 1,5 hours last night (problems with sleeping again ) and I didn't want to take the risk of hurting myself by playing with free weights. Instead I had a 10-minutes crosstrainer session (5 km).

And now Manuel says that I'm his goddess. No need to get jealous, guimauve...

Oh yeah, there was a christmas dinner today and I think that I ate almost half a kilo of tofu. Marinated tofu, smoked tofu... I could have ate even more than just that. And with tofu there was also some Finnish christmas dishes such as potato, carrot, rutabaga and yam casserole and rosolli.

Food really makes you happy. As when I left for lunch I was feeling down as I had been arguing with my father and all that. I was so down and so pissed off at the same time that I even said to my friend, when he asked me what's up, that I'm really really pissed off (which I don't usually say out loud). But when I got back from lunch I was just smiling and was so happy that I didn't feel pissed off at all.

Bodyweight training.

Yesterday I did horse stance for 120, 60 and 30 seconds. Might have managed to do 45 seconds in the last one, but but... I felt exhausted anyway and my legs were shaking because of that 30 seconds too.

Then I just did some stretching.

Today I did a fast tempo circuit training with bw full squats, knee push-ups (I found it too hard doing regulars) and sit-ups.

15 reps of full squats, then 20 push-ups and 25 sit-ups. Only twice of each since I felt so exhausted after.

I wish we had bigger dumbbells than those 6,6lbs (3kg) dumbbells we currently have. I could do something with those too, but not that much.

Now I just have this feeling, that I should have done much much more than that. I guess I'm never satisfied with my work out as I always have this feeling that every one else is doing much much more.

lol, angst.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently I can't sleep, train or eat properly. I'm missing all of the three BIGs to get stronger and bigger.

Did horse stance few days ago. First 180 sec (3 min) --> 60 sec (1min) break --> 180 sec (3min) --> 60 sec (1 min) break --> 120 sec ( 2 min, barely made it). I felt absolutely fantastic after that. And day after my legs were swol and lovely.

I've been progressing with it as in my first try I did 90 sec --> 60 sec --> 45 sec (and almost fell onto my arse - didn't count the breaks)

• 1 year later...