MaryStella's Triathlon training crossfit endurance

I train to compete in kickboxing (american, leg kick or muay thai rules). In addition to kickboxing I also study Jeet Kune Do. I've had a nerve impingement and lack of structal stability in my right shoulder ( my "power" side) and started doing this routine to balance out the muscle imbalances that kickboxing created. (ex, chest stronger than back, quads stronger than hamstrings) I welcome any comments. This is my first posting not even sure if i am doing it right!

DAY 1

Shoulder Stability Circuit - 3 sets of 15 reps

V- raise with hold at top

Rear-delt raise with hold at top

Scapular pushups

Power Circuit - 3 sets of 10 reps

Box Jumps - 8 risers

Resisted broad jumps - (banded)

Medicine ball twist and throw

Strength Endurance Circuit - 3 sets of 15 reps

Deadlifts

Prone dumbbell Row

Walking lunge

Two-arm kettlebell swing (hip ext.)

Step-ups

Parallel Grip Pull down

Plank on wobble board X 60 seconds

Finisher:

2 mile run hard or 4 X 2 minute sprints

60 upside down situps

No rest between exercises.

DAY 2

Shoulder Stability Circuit - 3 sets of 15 reps

V- raise with hold at top

Rear-delt raise with hold at top

Hand Walks on stability ball

Power Circuit - 3 sets of 10 reps

1 leg lateral box jumps

Bounding broad jumps

Medicine ball twist and throw

Strength Endurance Circuit - 3 sets of 15 reps

1 leg squat

Supinated pull down

Reserve step lunge

Elbows-out prone row

Side step-ups

Two arm kettlebell swings (hip ext.)

Banded knee raise X 25

Finisher:

2 mile run hard or 4 X 2 minute sprints

60 upside down situps

No rest between exercises.

Edited by MaryStella

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Switched to:

5 rounds of 10

Lunge Lunge Vertical Hop

Reactive Box Jumps

Bounding

Board Jumps

Overhead Medicine Ball Throw onto trampoline

Seated Medicine Ball Twists

Banded Knee Raises

3 rounds of 15

Bent over row

Straight Leg Dead Lift

Upright rows

One Arm Rows

Reverse lunges

kettlebell swings (hip extension)

• 2 weeks later...

Kickboxing gals rule!

I used to do Kickboxing, I went from light Contact Western (I did pretty good in comps) to Thai (no elbows though).

I really love the sport, since I moved to the States (I'm from Germany) I haven't been into it (for lack of money and time)...

just going to the gym right now... I got a little to hung up on getting big! Every time I see pics of people kickboxing I feel sorta bad... I used to run about every second morning and work cardio like crazy, now I'm just lifting.

Gotta get in shape again so I can kick ass when I come back...

Don't forget that to spend most of your time doing drills to work on your technique AND your conditioning if you wanna compete! I don't think you gotta worry about muscle imbalance unless you have a history of related problems...

Edit: Do you know where I can get quality non-leather sparring gloves?

I used to have pregan leather Twins...

Thanks! KB boys are the best too! Unfortunately I having a lot of problems lately with muscle imbalances but I am working on them. I am going to start posting my twice daily workouts on here for some advice. basically I run and/or lift everymorning or do crossfit workouts and every night I either train doing drills, bag/padwork and/or spar. Ringside, Everlast and title all made synthetic or vinyl gloves. Combat sports has some synthetic other gear. But I can't testify to the quality of them usually it is their lower quality stuff. I always wrap and tape my hands though.

Have you ever given mixing a little Pilates into your strength training any thought - it is great for help imbalances. Oh and by the way kudos! Kickboxing is amazing!

did some pilates years ago. actually used to do a lot of yoga and honestly had a lot less injuries when i was practicing. my own problem now is trying to find the time to fit it into the rountine. your right it is great bodywork.

I've been keeping a training log for months in a hardcopy journal but never post it hear but I am inspired to start doing so since I enjoy reading all of the logs posted here so I will start with today and possibly post backwards? and try to commit to updating this everyday or couple of days.

2.24.9 6am

Adjusted Crossfit WOD, I couldn't do push presses because of a rotator cuff injury I have in my right shoulder. I subbed these out with bent over rows to try to build up my back more and help out my shoulder injury. I am working around my impinged nerve as best I can. Rows were done with 20lb dumbbells. This is done for time, as fast as you can go, with out breaks.

Row 500 Meters

Bent Over Row 21 reps

Row 500 Meters

Bent Over Row 18 reps

Row 500 Meters

Bent Over Row 15 reps

Row 500 Meters

Bent Over Row 12 reps

Time 15:00

Decline Bench Sit ups 3x15 w/25lb plate on chest

6pm

Jump Rope 10 minutes

5 rounds of kickboxing sparring - 3 american rules 2 leg kick rules

Jeet Kune Do

Sensitivity Drills

RAT Drills

4 rounds of RAT

Thanks Robert! I got your post at 5:30am before I went to workout and it gave me so much needed energy. That time of the day if rough for me. Ok today's stuff:

6am - Push Jerks ( and clean to get bar up)

I wasn't going to do these because of my shoulder but since it has been feeling better lately I decided to try them. I kept the weight low because of the injury but it was still a bad idea. I am paying for it tonight and icing it down. it is the worst it's felt in awhile. Hopefully it will heal soon as I miss doing this kind of work.

warmup with 9 lb and 18lb body bar - just to practice form etc.

35lb- 3 reps

40lb - 2 reps

45 lbs - 3 reps

50 lbs - 2 reps

Hope to ad more weight but shoulder started to hurt on 2 rep of 50 so I called it a day.

Full Situps on Ab Ball - 10 slow and 40 fast

6pm - the first set is all rehab exercises for my shoulder which is why the weight is so low

5lb dumbbells - 3 set of 15

V raises

Rear Delt Raises

Rotator Cuff Holds

12lb Medicine Ball Twist -3 x 50 reps

Scapular Pushups 3x15

Plank Hold - 1 minute

V ab lifts & leg lefts, 1 x25, 2x15

Leg Presses 1x25

Jump Robe 5 minute warmup

Kickboxing Live Drills - hand and feet combos with blocks

Way to keep consistent with the workouts MaryStella

Great Job !!!!

I always loved sparing that was my favorite part of training, also hitting the big, speed bag, and focal pads.

Lest favorite about training, shadow boxing and burpees.

Are you training for a fight? Or just for a fun exercise ?

Way to keep consistent with the workouts MaryStella

Great Job !!!!

I always loved sparing that was my favorite part of training, also hitting the big, speed bag, and focal pads.

Lest favorite about training, shadow boxing and burpees.

Are you training for a fight? Or just for a fun exercise ?

Hello! I am training for fights. I have to agree with you shadow boxing and burpees are thee WORST! Don't forget jump squats!

oh I haven't fought in over 10 yrs or so. I was 15 when I started and started fighting when I was 17.

I was at the gym 24/7. It was my second home and family.

Some reasons why I stopped fighting, I was young and wanted to do other things that would seek my interest.

I didn't like going into work with a face browsed and all scratched up.

My trainers thought I had a good heart with a strong hit. so they thought that I would make it as pro one day in a year or two. So I guess they thought they would do me a favor by setting me up with all these fights without me knowing. so that was too much pressure for me.

Although now, I do mess with the rope, and take a cardio kickboxing classes now and then.

I haven't put on gloves since I was 20 years old.

You look so strong in your avatar Keep it up the great progress, Soon everyone will have to call you the Next Million dollar Girl.

Did you see this link. My fight back out last minute that year, But they got my footage when they needed someone to put on and take the gloves off and wipe down the fighters. I was 19 there. So young.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16767

oh I haven't fought in over 10 yrs or so. I was 15 when I started and started fighting when I was 17.

I was at the gym 24/7. It was my second home and family.

Some reasons why I stopped fighting, I was young and wanted to do other things that would seek my interest.

I didn't like going into work with a face browsed and all scratched up.

My trainers thought I had a good heart with a strong hit. so they thought that I would make it as pro one day in a year or two. So I guess they thought they would do me a favor by setting me up with all these fights without me knowing. so that was too much pressure for me.

Although now, I do mess with the rope, and take a cardio kickboxing classes now and then.

I haven't put on gloves since I was 20 years old.

You look so strong in your avatar Keep it up the great progress, Soon everyone will have to call you the Next Million dollar Girl.

Did you see this link. My fight back out last minute that year, But they got my footage when they needed someone to put on and take the gloves off and wipe down the fighters. I was 19 there. So young.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=16767

I understand. Kickboxing is pretty much my second job I spend a lot of time training but I love it. I'll check out that link later. I'd love training tips from you if you've got any.

I would love to give them to you. Ask anything you want I hope to give a good answer to.

It was funny after reading you blog. LG came over and I had to air box with him. But he was being such a wuss I had to stop. lol

You're doing a great job

2.26.9 - Shoulder is feeling better today but not 100 percent. I am going to try to ice it a lot in the next couple of days.

6am - V Raises, Rear Delt Raises, Scapular Pushups, Rotator Cuff Isometric Holds 3x15 with lb dumbbells

Run 1 mile - 7:30

Decline Bench Situps with 25lb plate - 15

Run 1 mile - 7:15

Decline Bench Situps with 25lb plate - 15

6pm Crossfit WOD for time

Walking Lunges 50(25 per leg), 21 Pullups( used jumping method as I didn't have a spot) 21 situps on ab ball, walking lunges 50, 18 pullups, 18 situps, walking lunges 50, 15 pullups, 15 situps, walking lunges 50, 12 pullups, 12 situps, walking lunges 50, 9 pullups, 9 situps, walking lunges 50, 6 pullups, 6 situps. Time 14:57

7:30 pm

Warmup 50 jumping jacks, 30 scapular pushups, 25 situps

1.5 hours shadow kicking boxing, shadow sparring, pad sparring, padwork

I would love to give them to you. Ask anything you want I hope to give a good answer to.

It was funny after reading you blog. LG came over and I had to air box with him. But he was being such a wuss I had to stop. lol

You're doing a great job

Don't listen to her!!!!! Just wanted to make her feel tough. Washer, it's on >:-)

Hey Mary,

Wonder if the partner assisted abs work you described is gonna cause a stir up in the gym. thendanisays was like oh boy just what the two of you need. Don't be jealous you!

Crossfit is widely popular here; how do you like it? How effective do you find it to be in line with your goals and where does it fall in line with other types of goals, like mine per say?

Hope your shoulder feels better

You run FAST too btw !

You're doing a great job

I don't have anything on my mind this moment but i am totally welcome to any comments you have about what you see in my training journal on here. I am sure I will come up with questions and send them your way in the future. Thanks I really appreciate that. Your my online vegan kickboxing mentor. I thought about posting more details about the kb work I do at night like i have in my hardcopy journal. But i haven't been doing that since most people on here are not kickboxers and probably wouldn't care. Glad you took it easy on LnG. Can't be bruising up the pretty bodybuilding boys before their show. LOL. thanks for the morale booster. I really need that at 5:30 when I am dragging to get to the gym. I know I need to get more rest but it is so hard for me to get to bed any earlier than 11 and it is usually 12ish most nights.

You're doing a great job

Don't listen to her!!!!! Just wanted to make her feel tough. Washer, it's on >:-)

Hey Mary,

Wonder if the partner assisted abs work you described is gonna cause a stir up in the gym. thendanisays was like oh boy just what the two of you need. Don't be jealous you!

Crossfit is widely popular here; how do you like it? How effective do you find it to be in line with your goals and where does it fall in line with other types of goals, like mine per say?

Hope your shoulder feels better

You run FAST too btw !

Thanks! But being tough is about what you can take not about what you can put out.

Understand your point about the abs. I tend not to care what people at the gym think of me. Most of them probably think I am crazy. especially when I am doing crossfit workouts and running from thing to thing as fast as possible. I am in a zone then! Fighters tend to lose those body sensitivity issues. It was just a suggestion for you guys, you don't have to do them if your uncomfortable with them. You could also wrap your legs around a pole or something if that works better for you. I've done them on a heavy bag. Although then your only getting the working side of the exercise not the resistance side.

I am kinda new to crossfit. One of my friends is a personal trainer and he got crossfit certified also. He is really into it and was really encouraging me to try it so i did some workouts with him. At first I wasn't too into it mostly because I don't think I was doing things the crossfit way, going all out. I was as he said doing things the fighter was constantly keeping a reserve for the finish and once I knew the workout was almost over I would push it. I learned how to go hard the whole time and I am liking the workouts now for fighting. Mostly because they are good conditioning work for me. I used to do more running workouts for conditioning. I still do some running workouts but honestly I found this to be better for fighting because it is much more like fighting. Having to coordinate constantly changing body movements when your tired. It is much easier to just run in a straight line when your tired than try to pulloff a lead roundhouse kick with a stepdown into a cross hook on a moving target. I also like training the olympic (power) lifts for explosive strength again good for fighting. That works my speed and power. I also like the balance work because that is also good for fighting.I think crossfit is great for being in good condition. that being said I know it could never be the only thing that I do for working out. It just isn't enough for me. If i wasn't fighting I would still feel the need to run and do other lifting. The workouts are tough, your wasted afterward but for the most part they are short. They up your work capacity but not a lot of endurance work. As far as bodybuilding goes you wouldn't get big or cut from doing crossfit in my opinion. It just isn't enough work as I see it. I think you could add in some of the workouts to your current program if you want to try it out. again they are mostly short. I like it to balance out all of my other sport specific program. But I also feel you are more likely to get injured doing crossfit workouts because of the intensity of them especially if you are not familiar with the moves. www.crossfit.com posts the workout of the day as well as a lot of exercise demos etc. if your interested.

I am going to try to ice my shoulder as much as possible the next couple of days. I used to run faster when I ran track, cross country, and road races but now I mostly run for the work not to compete. it is still hard for me to put up a decent time in the morning. my runs at night are always better.

2.27.9 6am - Modified Crossfit WOD - Replaced 400 m run with 30 jumps. Due to gym didn't have the ability to run and switch to extensions. Normally would have done more jumps to replace the 400 meter run but my legs were very tired after yesterday's workout. Done for time with no rest

21 Hip Back extensions, 30 Box Jumps

18 Hip Back extensions, 30 Box Jumps

15 Hip Back extensions, 30 Box Jumps

12 Hip Back extensions, 30 Box Jumps

9 Hip Back extensions, 30 Box Jumps

6 Hip Back extensions, 30 Box Jumps

Time: 15 minutes

Lower back was tired after that. Legs were sore most of the day.

5pm

Warmup: knee huggers, high knees, Buttkickers

Lunge Lunge Squat

Lunge Lunge Vertical Jump land in a squat

Broad Jumps

Box Jumps 5x5

Banded Broad Jumps 5x5

Ab Circuit:3X20

Overhead throw of a 12lb. medicine ball onto an overturned trampoline. Catch and Repeat.

Medicine Ball Twists with 18lb medicine ball

Knee up in a tied theraband to provide resistance

Pretty tired & hoping my legs feel better tomorrow!

Tough time getting out of bed this morning I was so tired. My legs are still sore!

7:30am - 9:30am

Front Squats - Decided to lower the weight because of the leg soreness and just work on form.

Warmup: 2 x 20 with 18lb bar, 1 x6 with 35 bar, Also upright rows - 2 X 13 with 18lb bar

Front Squats

45 X 6

65 x 6

85 x 5

Bent Over Rows - warmup with 20lbX 5

30 lb dumbbells X 5

35 lb dumbbells x 5

40 lb dumbbells 2 sets x 5

Reverse Fly

3 sets of 25 X5

1 set of 40 X 5

Dips - Hands on bench,feet on chair, these are tough for me because of the shoulder injury.

3 set of BW x 5

1 set of BW + 25 lb plate X 5

Pullups - these were terrible today. I could barely move without a spot. so I decided to work on these another day pretty.

3 wide grip with spot

10am

warmup jumping jacks

1 round padwork

5 rounds on heavy bags - mostly power shots

1 round double end bag working lead roundhouse kick

1 round lead and rear roundhouse kicks with band resistance

2 three minute rounds of abs, changing every 30 seconds:

Crunches with legs up touching toes each time, v raises, alternating bicycles

11am - jeet kune do

Weapons training - kali escrima sticks

1 round angles strikes on heavy

Practice angles strikes and blocks/zoning with partner w/ live drills

Kali Sumbrada flow

No PM workout today. Going for a massage and going to let the legs heal up. Icing the shoulder as much as possible.