Hearty Black Bean Burgers

Nathan Nearing

Nice and simple recipe for a black bean burger. I usually serve on rye bread with some organic ketchup and sometimes lettuce and onion. Be aware that these are a tad spicy because of the cayenne pepper, but you can just use a little less if the spice doesn't suit you.

1 can black beans

1 cup cooked brown rice

¼ tsp cumin

1 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tbsp ground flax seed

1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)

Preheat oven to 300°. Combine all in a food processor and blend into a thick paste. Form into patties with hand and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook for 20-25 minutes, flipping once. I find 20 minutes usually does it, but my last batch could have benefited from the extra five. Makes 5-6 medium burgers.

Edited by Nathan Nearing

• 3 weeks later...
Seems like a great recipe. This (and oatmeal) is basically the only way I use grains now these days. I only have one question, what is parchment paper?

It's like wax paper, but safe for the oven. It's just paper that's non-stick and safe for the oven. Saves clean up time and where I live in a household with people who are non-vegan, it makes it safer for me (since my food never touches the sheet).

I made these for dinner tonight, with a few more spices and things. They turned out really well. Normally when we try to make burgers like this they don't firm up. These got nice and crusty on the outside and stayed together pretty well. The insides were still a little mushy. Overall they were good and I'll probably make them again. Thanks for the great recipie.

I made these for dinner tonight, with a few more spices and things. They turned out really well. Normally when we try to make burgers like this they don't firm up. These got nice and crusty on the outside and stayed together pretty well. The insides were still a little mushy. Overall they were good and I'll probably make them again. Thanks for the great recipie.

Glad you liked 'em!

• 4 months later...
I like the simplicity and price of the ingredients! I saved this to my hard drive.
Simplicity are my favorite recipes.