i rode with lance armstrong today...

3hours in the mountains around adelaide. lance was more interested in my bamboo bike than what i eat. his assistant, elizabeth was on a motor bike following and taking shots. she called me back and asked me about what i eat. she told me lance has a close friend that is a vegan athlete. she almost fell off the back of the motorbike when i said 'actually im a raw vegan. 100% raw plant foods. NO COOKED FOOD EVER!, i get my carbs from fruit.' she was like' but you ride so fast! thats insane!'

then we hit a 7km climb and i attacked off the front. i was going too fast for lance and the team, cos they just let me go. i guess the guys are saving their legs for the real race that starts on sunday.

somehow i made a video of the ride and will post it on youtube shortly..

when i got back to the city the local journo's did a story. they took photos and i was wearing my organic athlete kit. it will run in tommorrows paper that has over 500 000! readers! lol! the journo loved the part about how i can eat up to 60 bananas in a day and ride 515km in a day.

so now lance armstrong knows whom durianrider is..lol! the crazy vegan dude from adelaide that races a bamboo bike..

ok, gotta go hydrate, carb up, rest up, stretch up etc, cos who knows what opportunities tommorrow will bring us?

Wow!

Totally awesome! Just today, I was randomly watching Lance Armstrong videos on You Tube hours before I even discovered this thread. I was watching some of his races, interviews, etc., came to the forum and then saw this.

Very cool!!!!!

Riding with the greatest must have been awesome!!!!!

http://player.video.news.com.au/adelaidenow/#uFSVv_4yF0c3c8xt7BwOYQBcGiASrHdB

try this link. it will work if you keep try'n.

i got in the paper and they called me 'harley, vegan extraordinaire, member of organicathlete.com..' that paper is read by over 500 000 readers in south australia.

i just wanna get the vegan word out there. show people we can live in harmony with our animal friends instead of thrash'n our health and planet to put another shrimp on the barbie..

and check this youtube vid earlier in the week, me training with 2006 tour de france winner, oscar pereiro.

ahah, that's awesome ! I love how they called you "vegan extraordinaire", lol. But you are extraordinaire, cycling on a bamboo bike with these guys while filming and while talking to lance armstrong.

I fixed the link to your video :

"durianrider goes out training with 2006 tour de france winner, oscar pereiro and team."

http://player.video.news.com.au/adelaidenow/#uFSVv_4yF0c3c8xt7BwOYQBcGiASrHdB

try this link. it will work if you keep try'n.

i got in the paper and they called me 'harley, vegan extraordinaire, member of organicathlete.com..' that paper is read by over 500 000 readers in south australia.

i just wanna get the vegan word out there. show people we can live in harmony with our animal friends instead of thrash'n our health and planet to put another shrimp on the barbie..

and check this youtube vid earlier in the week, me training with 2006 tour de france winner, oscar pereiro.

Dude that is awesome! So cool to meet, and ride along with the Greatest in the sport!!!!!!

So cool man!

Nice jersey as well!

I got pretty pumped watching this....... sweet stuff.

where can I find infos on that bamboo bike ? Name of model, weight, price, etc... DurianRider do you feel it's the best bike you ever rode ?

It's hand built by Craig Calfee. The bamboo is hand selected and the lugs are made of hempfiber. They aren't the lightest of bikes or cheapest but they are incredibly beautiful and unique.

More info here: calfeedesign.com

dude... I'm so inspired. I'm just about to get back into some serious training again-- I should just go raw again and be done with the on/off raw cycle. Bamboo bike is so rad too.

I will try harder! Awesome that you're spreadin' the word, especially in Australia... good work!

That's a great story to ride with professional athletesmaybe and showing them that you can ride fast as vegan or raw vegan and use a bamboo bike. Maybe bamboo and hemp fiber would be used in large bike factories so that the prize and its weight get accessible to each cycling fan. I just get my first carbon TCR Giant bike: I love it but I will be ready to get a bamboo bike withthe same characterists as my new Giant TCR Advance 2.

Why Lance did try the vegan diet to increase his performance after his Cancer treatment ? He need a good sport nutritionist coach: I go back to school in September for a nutrition degree in France and want to add couple class in medicine sport to become a performance cycling coach with vegan diet in France... my dream is to open a vegan recreation cycling center for track racing in North of Normandy. I will need investors to support me for this long term project with building a private indoor Velodrome with Guest house capacity. Any suggestions ?

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome thread...thanks for sharing durianrider. I love pro cycling so this is pretty cool. The Tour of California is finishing Monday's stage about six blocks from my house with all the big name riders from the early '00's-Lance, Ivan Basso, Floyd Landis, Levi Leipheimer, Chris Horner...gonna walk over with wife and kids...going to be a madhouse, though...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...