Lina's Workout/Clean Eating Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2009:

Seeing as this is my very first entry/blog, I probably won't be writing much here today. I'm hoping to figure out what works for me in terms of nutrition and fitness. My fitness entries will be pretty general, as I do fitness videos rather than going to the gym. In any case, I'm aiming to be a healthy, strong vegan!

I used to do a lot of "cardio dance" videos by Crunch studios. About 5 months ago I discovered Jari Love's "Ripped!" series and I've been hooked ever since. They're all about an hour each and you burn a LOT of calories (up to 1000, no joke). In the video, you do compound exercises, intense cardio, light weights with high reps and plyometrics. I would highly recommend them to anyone trying to get in shape quickly.

Tomorrow's my official start date where I start cleaning up my act and stop eating junk. I've come to the realization that my body is my temple and while some junk food is vegan--it's certainly not healthy. So I'll be documenting my food intake tomorrow. No exercise though, as I'm busy, busy, busy tomorrow. *sigh*

Friday, January 23, 2009:

Meals: today is my "raw day". I'm trying this as an experiment to see if I feel any better/worse or more/less energized than I normally do. I've heard that going raw can have very positive effects on people. Could I be one of them? Feel free to criticize my options...

Meal 1 (6:30 am): 2 figs, 1/4 c. hemp seeds, 2 TBSP sunflower seeds, 1 banana, TSP flaxseed, and 1/4 c. Banana/cinnamon "mylk"

Meal 2 (10:30 am): Vanilla coconut shake: Pecans, pitted dates, vanilla extract, coconut oil and water.

Meal 3 (11:40 am): A small handful of goji berries

Meal 4 (2:22 pm): About 1 1/2 c raw veggies with hummus

Meal 5 (6:00 pm): 3 olives, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1 tbsp hummus & 2 oz tofu, 1/2 c. rice & beans w/ nutritional yeast. 3 dates & 1 tbsp peanut butter.

Meal 6 (8:00 pm): Popcorn and a soy tea misto. So much for "raw day"...

Activity: off - movie night tonight (Underworld III)

Notes: I felt great this morning after Meal 1, but subsequent meals made me feel tired, cloudy-headed and extremely dehydrated. I got many thoughts about giving up on the whole "raw" meal idea altogether. Only...I before today, most of what I ate was minimally processed--only I ate too much (at least in my mind). So perhaps I'll go back to eating as I was beforehand and make corrections accordingly. I think the big culprit for my weight gain and loss of definition was not the frequency or type of food I was eating but the timing. I was just having too many meals too late at night. Perhaps I'll gradually move into raw eating...but this is too much too soon.

On another note, Underworld III was awesome! I highly recommend it.

Feeling a little down today...but still determined to get in a workout today!

Meal 1 (9:30 am): 1/2 c. oatmeal, tbsp peanut butter, 2 figs, and 1 fresh apple.

Meal 2 (1:00 pm): "Baja" bowl (veggie); rice, black beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa, guacamole.

Meal 3 (5:30 pm): 1/2 c. rice and beans [w/ nutritional yeast], 2 small carrots, slices of cucumber with hummus, 2 oz of tofu

Snack (undetermined times...): popcorn, small handful of trail mix and 1 tall soy tea misto

Workout: 1 hour Wii Dance Dance Revolution

Edited by Evilyna

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Good morning everyone! It's an early day for me today because I had to wake up to drop my loved one off at work today. (at 6:30 am!!) But I'm just going to work through it I suppose... Yesterday's workout was pretty light--I got to do an hour of Wii DDR--so today I'll be kicking it up a notch with Jari Love's Ripped! 1000 cal workout video. I've been finding it difficult trying to balance school, work, family, friends and workouts. I'm sure I'll figure out a routine soon (I hope!).

Meal 1 (6:30 am): 1 apple

Meal 2 (8:30 am): 1 tall sugarless green tea soy latte, 1 c. whole grain cereal w/ 1/2 c. rice milk, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 5 dates

Meal 3 (12:30 pm): 3 cherry tomatoes, cucumber, 2 small carrots w/ tbsp hummus, 2 oz tofu, figs and popcorn (100 cal) w/ 1 tbsp pb. **note** peanut butter with popcorn tastes better than it sounds

Meal 4 (3:30 pm): 1 banana

Meal 5 (5:45 pm): spinach salad w/ bragg's, olive oil, cucumbers, tomato, sesame and goji berries. 1/2 piece naan bread, tbsp hummus and a scoop of eggless egg salad

Meal 6 (7:30ish pm): 1 cacao mole Larabar (Yummy!)

Workout: Ripped! 1000 cal workout - Jari Love http://www.razorfitness.com/DVD/Love/Get-Ripped-1000.html

Edited by Evilyna

Workout: 1 hour Wii Dance Dance Revolution

I so wish I owned a Wii and this game...and a TV of course. I was over at a get together once and loved watching folks jumping around playing it.

Haha, I wished I owned it too! It doesn't belong to me...it belongs to my mom. Luckily, she let's me play whenever I come to visit!

Monday, January 26, 2009:

Meal 1 (6:00 am): 1 c. cereal, 1/2 c. rice milk, 5 dates and 1 tbsp pb

Meal 2 (8:00 am): 1 tall soy latte

Meal 3 (10:00 am): 1/2 naan bread and 1 scoop eggless egg salad; 1 apple

Meal 4 (3:00 pm): 1 larabar, 2 carrots and tbsp hummus

Meal 5 (6:00 pm): spinach salad w/ olive oil, tomato, cucumber, bragg's; 2 oz tofu, 2 portabello mushrooms and popcorn w/ a small handful of trail mix

Meal 6 (?): 1 fruit bar and rice chips

Workout: 1 1/2 hours of DDR

Tuesday, January 27, 2009:

So, exciting news! Yesterday, I helped my mom out with setting up her Wii Fit and we each made separate accounts. During this process, we had to put in our stats in the machine... include weight (it's very precise)! I was afraid to go on it because I absolutely hate weighing myself and haven't done so for over a month. After my mom and my boyfriend weighed themselves and such, they convinced me to hop on the little machine. I did so and found out... I'm just under 123lbs! This made me very happy as that's only 5 lbs away from my goal weight. I know once I clean up my eating a bit more and increase my exercise, I should be able to attain this goal.

Meal 1: 1/2 c. oatmeal, 5 dates, 1 tbsp pb

Meal 2: 1 apple, handful dried fruit snacks (130 cal)

Meal 3: 1 tempeh "patty", cucumber, 1/2 pc. naan bread

Meal 4: 1 larabar (pb cookie) and 2 carrots

Was sick here...everything I ate was pretty much void.

Meal 5: Rice bowl w/ veggies

Meal 6: Rice chips

Workout: Ripped! To the Core (1 hour) Weights/Plyometrics

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Meal 1: 1 banana, 1 mango, 2 figs, 1 tbsp almond butter

Meal 2: Spinach salad w/ olive oil, Bragg's, onion, goji berries, sunflower seeds, tofu, sliced almonds, and carrots.

Meal 3: Celery stalk w/ homemade hummus (mmm), falafel (w/ tbsp organic ketchup) and 1/2 pc. naan bread & popcorn w/ pb

Snacks: 1 Larabar, 1 asian pear, aaand 1 ristretto tall soy latte (EPIC FAIL...I'm trying to kick the coffee habit )

Workout: Ripped! 1000 cal workout --> plyometrics, weightlifting, high intensity cardio

Edited by Evilyna

Hi Lina! I just signed up on here and started a gym membership last week. I used to just workout watching FitTV when I had more channels. I liked Gilad the most!! I hope you enjoy your videos and they work for you!

I wanted to comment on you trying a raw food diet. TheRawDivas.com has a free 7 day detox that you might like. And I think drinking a big green smoothie a day would really help you feel energized instead of tired. Greens are a VERY important part of the diet!

I hope you have a great week and I'll talk to you later!

xoxo

Shelley

Edited by Shelley

Hi Lina! I just signed up on here and started a gym membership last week. I used to just workout watching FitTV when I had more channels. I liked Gilad the most!! I hope you enjoy your videos and they work for you!

I wanted to comment on you trying a raw food diet. I'm a community builder for The Raw Divas - Raw Food Solutions For Women. We have a lot of information about the raw vegan diet on our website and offer a free 7 day detox. http://www.therawdivas.com

I would love for you to add me as a friend on my myspace pages:

http://www.myspace.com/therawdivas

http://www.myspace.com/raw_chef

I think drinking a big green smoothie a day would really help you feel energized instead of tired. Greens are a VERY important part of the diet!

I hope you have a great week and I'll talk to you later!

xoxo

Shelley

Thank you Shelley for reading my blog! I would love to try this free 7 day detox. I'm also going to try incorporating a green smoothie, I never thought about that. I'd be more than happy to add you to my MySpace. I don't check it too often, but I do my best. I hope you also have a great week!

I did so and found out... I'm just under 123lbs! This made me very happy as that's only 5 lbs away from my goal weight.

Gratz on the weigh-in. Woot!!

Sorry your feeling sick though

Haha, thank you for the support! Thankfully, the sickness only lasted half a day...good immune system I guess? In any case, I hope you're having a great week thus far!

Friday, January 29, 2008:

Today's a pretty big day for me. I have to read 1/2 a book and write a 750-word precis on it...all in one day. Possible? I think so--however, this means that I won't be doing any exercise tonight. Instead, I'll be a little more stringent with my food intake and most of all...intensely focused on school!

I do like it when my mind is busy because I don't dwell on negative aspects of myself. I've had trouble with this ever since I turned 13. "Do my thighs look fat? Is my belly protruding? Am I eating too much?" ...and on and on it goes. This is terribly destructive thinking for a young teenager and now, at 19 (nearly 20) I'm trying to turn that around. In the next few months, I'll be doing reading on positive thinking techniques and focusing on my good attributes rather than my "bad" attributes. Perhaps I'll join a yoga class? We'll see...

Meal 1: "Green smoothie": celery, spinach, wheatgrass, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 banana, 1/8 green pepper, 1 small lime, 3/4 apple

Meal 2: Small Kung Pao, rice, tofu, veggie and spicy sauce "bowl" and 1 tall ristretto soy latte (Mom's treat )

Meal 3: "Green smoothie": celery, spinach, wheatgrass, 1/4 avocado, 1/2 banana, 1 small lime, 1 small carrot, 1/4 apple, tsp flaxseed and a green salad w/ olive oil and garlic vinaigrette

Snacks: organic tostitos (blue corn) with homemade hummus

I felt really awake and energized after the first smoothie! I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it tasted surprisingly good. Let's hope that they all taste this good. I think tomorrow I'll try putting spirulina in my smoothie...could be interesting!

Workout: OFF

Edited by Evilyna

Friday, January 30, 2009:

I'm quickly realizing the difficulty of waking up early and making smoothies when you're trying not to wake the whole house up in the morning. This morning I was going to make a green smoothie as it worked so well the previous day BUT my roomate, who's usually away at work by morning, was sleeping. I did not wish to wake him with my blender as it is very, very LOUD. So I opted for raisin bran bread with pb. That breakfast just didn't give me the kick I needed for class. I think from now on, I'll prepare my smoothies at night so I can drink them first thing in the morning without disturbing anyone. *sigh* Live and learn, live and learn...

Meal 1: 2 pieces organic raisin bran bread w/ tsp vegan butter and 1 tbsp peanut butter

Meal 2: Eden Deluxe Hot Patty (vegan, of course) from Planet Organic...it kind of looks like a pizza pocket filled with TVP, vegetables and flaxseed! and a live food "goddess" bar.

Meal 3: Organic homemade granola bar and celery w/ hummus

Meal 4: Sweet and salty popcorn

Snack: 1/2 a tall ristretto soy latte, sobe green tea

Workout:

**I must be losing my interest in coffee because I couldn't even finish it this morning! Instead I opted for water which is much healthier in any case!

Edited by Evilyna

I'm so glad the green smoothie worked for you!! I just posted a comment on your myspace page. Good luck with your workouts and studying this week! Talk to you later!

Thank you! I certainly need all the luck I can get! My results will all come back to me next week...so I'll get to see if I did as well on my quiz/midterm/paper as I think I did. Maybe the green smoothies will give me the energy to get through massive amounts of studying, reading and writing for next week!

Saturday, January 31, 2009:

Tonight's the night of the Cradle of Filth, Satyricon and Septic Flesh. In other words... tonight is a night of PURE METAL. Much headbanging, screaming and prepping hair (not my own, may I add) shall be done. Male metal fans almost take more prep time than the females... jeez. In any case, that's what I'll be doing. No workouts here, unless you count fending off 300 lbs guys whilst trying to get to front of the crowd .

Meal 1: 2 pieces yeast free raisin bran bread w/ 1 tbsp pb and banana

Meal 2: 1 Eden Jamaican Patty (vegan... see Friday post for description) and a green smoothie

Meal 3: 1 veggie rice bowl. White rice, 2 pc of tofu, bean sprouts, cucumber, carrots and teriyaki sauce.

Workout: off.

Sunday, February 1, 2009:

Today is a lazy day. It was a pretty intense concert last night and today I'll probably take it easy. May do workout today, but then I may not...we'll see how the day plays out.

Meal 1 (12:00 pm): 1 veggie breakfast bagel (w/ tomato, soy bacon, avocado, onion, tofu) and 3/4 c. hashbrowns (which looked more like diced potatoes, but I digress)

Meal 2 (4ish pm): green smoothie (mint leaves, wheatgrass, celery, 1 kiwi, 1/4 c. carrot juice, kale, a few blueberries) and an apple.

Meal 3: banana w/ 1 tbsp pb, celery w/ fresh hummus

Meal 4: glass of carrot juice

Workout: Ripped! To the core! (heavier lifting with high reps, 1 hour)