Onwards to the one arm chin

Jay

I had some improvement towards this, this week. Before I could only do a one arm assisted chin by using the middle finger of my other hand. Now I can use any single finger except the thumb. Also I did the same with a one arm assisted pullup except I haven't tried it for the pinkie. I also did a two arm chinup with just using my middle fingers.

And best of all I can now hold myself stationary with either arm for 4 or 5 seconds at any position in the chin except at the very top. I'm at 215 and it's very rare for people over 200 pounds to do one arm chins, so this will be cool when I get it unassisted.

Hero, you do understand what a one arm chin is? Not a one hand chin where you grip your wrist with your other hand. These are one arm pullups:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmpull.mpg

If you can do that, then we really need to get a video of it and put it online. And I don't mean to doubt you, that's just phenomenal if you are able to do that.

impressive.

Hero, you do understand what a one arm chin is? Not a one hand chin where you grip your wrist with your other hand. These are one arm pullups:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-video/onearmpull.mpg

If you can do that, then we really need to get a video of it and put it online. And I don't mean to doubt you, that's just phenomenal if you are able to do that.

yes i can do those. i do not grip anything. one arm is behind my back, the other hand is doing a chinup. it took me forever to do them. i can only do about 3.

to be able to do these i did chinups with dumbells between my feet. i started with 10lbs and worked my way up to 60lb dumbell. when i got rid of the dumbell, i was so used to lifting that amount of weight, that one army chin up was do-able. i can do one arm chin ups, but not one arm pullups.

one arm chinups:

theyre not easy by any means, i do them very slowly, turn red in the face, and shake, but i can do em.

You only weigh 60 lbs? Just kidding. Reps with 105 added didn't result in a OAC for me.

We need to get some video of this or at least some pictures. I'd consider it the most impressive athletic feat I've seen a vegan do. It's far more typical to squat 500, run a marathon fast, get cut, bench 400, etc, than it is to do a OAC. 3 reps is especially good.

Have you done any rock climbing (at a wall at a gym or on a real mountain if you have those nearby)? I'm beginning to think that might be the best training for one arm chins

A few expert rock climbers can do one arm chins, etc but I've read a ton of threads on a serious climbing forum and plenty of extremely good rock climbers have trouble doing 10 regular chinups. Finger strength and using the legs in climbing seems to be the most important thing. Some climbers just do additional pullup training just in case it might help out a little. I have never done any rock climbing.

I have though saved a bunch of training articles for one arm chin/pullups if you want them.