Robert Cheeke's Journal - 3 contests in 4 weeks!

Hey, I'm Robert Cheeke. I'm competing in my 8th bodybuilding competition in late April, 2009. Some of my good friends have joined me to make history as a handful of vegan bodybuilders get on stage together to make a difference. Jack Marchese and Jimi Sitko will compete with me and we're all pushing ourselves hard to put our best physique forward in a relatively short amount of time. I don't really care whether people think I'm ready or not because I know I'll be ready. Most people sit on the fence their whole life and never jump inside the fire and do something they're passionate about. I've finished 1st before and last before, and I love what I'm doing and I'm ready to get back up on stage in 12 weeks for the first time in nearly 2 years.

I'm achieving career-best lifts and some recent pre-contest photos are some of my most impressive shots, so I'm confident about getting back on stage to make some noise.

I'll work hard to update this journal frequently. Right now, it's time to get some Vega and eat some food!

Here is a recap from my workout today:

1/29/09 10AM

I got on a plane at 11:20PM or so and flew back to Portland from Honolulu last night. I slept on the plane but not real well and my neck was killing me from the angle I was positioned in. I actually had the entire row to myself during the red eye flight so I guess I could have scrunched up and tried to lie down but I just used pillows, my soft Vega jacket and a blanket to position myself.

Tasha picked me up from the airport after little sleep and 2 hours time zone switch (5:30AM Hawaii time) and we went over toe Lean and Green's house and then headed to the gym.

This was my strongest overall chest workout ever I set one PR and tied another one (Personal Record or Personal Best)

I did 110 push-ups (though up to 170 for the day so far) to warm up.

Then:

Incline Dumbbell Press

52.5s x 12

65s x 12

80s x 10

90s x 8

100s x 6

105s x 4 (Lean and Green helped on the final two reps of the 90's, the final 2 reps of the 100's and the final 2 reps of the 105's.

the 105's for incline dumbbell press is a new personal best.

Then over to Decline press where I only hit 185 last week because it was midway through my workout and I was exhausted. I started at 185 this time.

185 x 12

225 x 6

235 x 5

245 x 4 (245 is one of my best lifts...I pressed 270 on decline 3 years ago.

Then I went over to incline flys

60s x 10

70s x 8

80s x 6 (this ties my best I think for this exercise. Soon I'll be at 90s for flys and in the 110's for other chest presses)

Then I did 60 more pushups making my total so far 170 (I'll likely do more up to 200-300 for the day). I did a few sets of crunches afterwards.

I'll be honest, there were a lot of yeah buddys being yelled, even when I had 105's in each hand pressing over my head on incline

Good to be there with Lean and Green too, as we've rarely been able to workout together, even though we live near each other and are training for the same contest.

Tasha was rocking the free weights too.

-----

Here are some photos taken in Late January, 12-13 weeks out:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle1-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle3-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle6-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle4-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle5-1.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle12.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/muscle17.jpg

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome, Robert. I'm so excited about the three of you competing together! Can't wait to see photos, videos and hear about the results of the comp. Best of luck, although luck is not what is going to help you, it's hard work and I know that you're working very hard to show everyone what vegans can do!

Impressive benching and those new photos are great! Looks like you had heaps of fun in Hawaii.

I will get pix up asap too as it seems to be the way to go!

Robert, I like to go by Giacomo! I'll turn the other Cheeke on it this time........

I was impressed by your lifts as well. It's amazing how much better outdoor lighting does for picture taking, the pics on the beach look so much better as opposed to the indoor ones.

I cannot wait to make a presence with you and Jimi on stage for veganism. We should continue on doing this as well. I'm game if you are. Though I don't know if you'l have the courage to show your face around public after we chop your hair off. We shook on it budday! You can find something new to try and scare me

Let's train tonight!

p.s. Washer is a beast.

Giacomo and I trained last night....I didn't have internet working at home so couldn't report, but it was good.

He's on his way to pick me up for another workout in a few minutes so I'll have to report back later. thendanisays was with us as well and we were there for about an hour and 45 minutes last night.

I'll provide updates later on....gotta get ready to get swol now!

A couple of days ago I had my best chest workout ever.......today was arguably my best biceps workout ever...using up to 70 lb dumbbells for hammer curls and 300 pounds for reverse grip pull-downs, which was as heavy as the lat pull down machine would allow.

But first a recap from last night (My internet still isn't working properly...goodbye Comcast, hello new company asap because this has been an on-going problem).

Last night was triceps and abs.

Lean and Green and I are training together pretty much everyday now as we are 12 weeks out. I still travel a bit but won't be going anywhere for the month of Feb!

Last night:

Tricep rope pull-downs:

60 x 20

70 x 20

80 x 20

90 x 15

100 x 12

110 x 8

Then a few extra sets later on in the workout

Dips

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Overhead dumbbell extensions:

55 x 15

70 x 10

90 x 8

90 x 8

Kickbacks

30 x 10

30 x 10

30 x 10

A few extra sets of random exercises to finish up

Abs

Hanging leg raises

12 sets of 7-12 reps - nice for grip work too

Cable crunches

140 x 20

170 x 15

180 x 20

200 x 10 (whole stack)

200 x 10 (whole stack)

lying crunches

5 sets of 20-50 reps

Machine crunches

4 sets 15-25 reps

Static (bridge) holds x 4-6 sets

I also did 200 push-ups for triceps as I alternated with crunches.

We were here about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I got home and Tasha had potatoes, carrots and tofu made nicely for me. Very sweet and very cool to have that provided for me!!! Always very much appreciated.

I fell asleep last night with a bag of grapes and 2 FLEX Magazines.............

Today

Lean and Green and thendansays picked me up again (Tasha trained before I even woke up)

I'm sleeping a lot more these days to help with my physique, recovery, strength for workouts, etc.

It seems to be working....today was a record setting biceps day.

Biceps

Machine curls to get warmed up, I also did 40 push-ups. I did 5 sets of light weight to 20-25 reps per set to warm-up.

Alternating dumbbell curls

30s x 10

32.5s x 10

35s x 8

37.5s x 8

40s x 6

Hammer curls

45s x 10

50s x 10

55s x 8

70s x 6

70s x 6 (new personal best)

EZ curl bar curls

75 x 8

75 x 8

75 x 8

85 x 5

100 x 4

100 x 4

100 x 5 (new personal best)

Reverse-grip pull-downs

135 x 12

165 x 12

190 x 10

210 x 8

225 x 8

240 x 6 (new personal best)

300 x 5 (now, new personal best) (whole stack)

Then I finished with Hammer Strength curls

55 x 12

65 x 10

75 x 8

85 x 7

Then I had some Vega that I packed with me, a couple of oranges, a banana, and then came home and had tofu, carrots and potatoes (left over from yesterday that Tasha prepared for me) and I'll go eat more in just a bit.

A lot of records falling this past week. Look out, RC is getting stronger!

Tomorrow is L.E.G.S. Watch out now!

RC

haha, thanks Tasha. I'm becoming more and more of a fan of Arnold all the time...I've always liked him, but I like him more now than ever before!

Of course...I did just watch pumping iron again the other day...............

Today Lean and Green and I trained legs.

I must have done like 12 sets of heavy leg press, pretty intense stuff!

Here is a sample:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/VeganBodybuilder/Bodybuilding%20Photos/Rob1.jpg

My workout went something like this:

Leg Press

180 x 25

270 x 20

360 x 15

450 x 12

540 x 8

630 x 8

Then I used another weight, not sure exactly how much, but maybe around 600 pounds or so and did sets of 8 reps for another 6 sets.

Leg extensions

Not sure how much weight

5 sets to failure

Standing hamstring curls

6 sets with 30 pounds or so for 12 reps per leg per set....again not sure on weight. I didn't really count today, or keep track. I just went to failure.

Good workout. Then went out to eat, came home and got more food because Tasha made potatoes and tofu for me.

It is SO COOL TO COME HOME AND HAVE FOOD ALREADY MADE FOR ME......VERY THOUGHTFUL OF MY GOOD FRIEND TO DO THAT.

Thanks Wash

OK back to business! Lean and Green is back for another workout! He's doing 2 a day these days...I will do the same come March/April but I'm content with one hardcore workout a day right now.

Thanks...funny faces are my style.........

Wow, I took one day off after 4 days in a row and my journal was already at the bottom of the page! Nice to see so many people keeping journals these days!

I trained heavy shoulders today.

It went something like this:

Lateral raises with 15's just to get blood flowing. A set or two of front raises were there too. I did like 20 reps for 5 sets to get warmed up.

Dumbbell overhead presses

40s x 12

40s x 12

53.5s x 10

60s x 10

70s x 8

80s x left opportunity for improvement (didn't have spotter)

75's x 8

I supersetted with dumbbell shrugs using the dumbbells I was pressing.

Barbell shrugs

235 x 10

235 x 7

235 x 7

255 x 7

255 x 7

225 x 12

135 x 20

135 x 20

Rear Delt machine

70 x 12

90 x 10

90 x 10

Overhead machine press

70 x 15

110 x 12

140 x 10

140 x 10

160 x 8

200 x left room for improvement

180 x 8

I did 5 more sets of lateral and front raises with 30's and 25's and then did one final set of overhead presses with 65's.

Then drove to Corvallis and spent the day there.

Good times....chest tomorrow!

Today was a pretty incredible workout. I worked out on my own...no Lean and Green to spot for me.

I was at an old school gym, doing my thing, not my usual gym. They had strange amounts for dumbbells, like 87 lbs, 92 lbs, 97 lbs, etc.

I trained chest with no spotter and it went like this:

Incline dumbbell press

50's x 12

60's x 12

70's x 10

87's x 8

92's x 6

97's x 5

105's x left an opportunity for improvement (with a spotter, no prob at all)

Flat dumbbell press

105's x 5

110's x left an opportunity for improvement (with a spotter, no prob at all)

110's x left an opportunity for improvement (with a spotter, no prob at all) - very close on this one

I'm almost revisited the 110's at the end of the workout, but without a spotter for that first rep, it just wasn't happening but I will be using 115's before March having Lean and Green helping me get that first rep going.

Decline Barbell bench press

135 x 12

225 x 3

225 x 5

225 x 3

225 x 5

All of those sets could have been more reps, but without a spotter I didn't want to chance it and have it end up landing on my chest. I know I can do 10 reps or so with that weight if I'm fresh and have a spotter watching/helping on the final few reps.

Dips

Body weight x 15-20

Body weight x 15-20

Body weight x 15-20

Body weight x 15-20

Body weight x 15-20

Pec Deck

100 lbs x 10

100 lbs x 10

100 lbs x 10

I also did 150 push-ups, part of warm-up and between sets.

When I got home Tasha had made yams and potatoes for me. I also had some greens, tofu, and brown rice. I had Vega and creatine earlier.

Good workout today!

Next time I'll go with my trainer or Lean and Green for chest and get higher weights!

I did about 20 minutes on the stair stepper and 5 sets of sit-ups too

Lean and Green and I went to the gym tonight.

I trained back, he trained a bunch of things...tricpes, calves, forearms kinda stuff. Jimi trained legs over in Alabama and pressed 20 plates Nice!

My Back attack went like this:

Lat pull downs to warm-up

100-200 pounds for 5 sets 15-20 reps for most sets

Back extensions

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

Bodyweight x 15-20

T-bar rows

wide grip

55 x 15

100 x 12

120 x 12

135 x 8

narrow grip

135 x 8

135 x 8

135 x 8

drop set

100 x to failure

55 x to failure

It felt pretty good...3 plates on it and it felt pretty heavy and intense so it was good.

Wide grip pull-ups

Narrow grip pull-ups

Cable rows

120 x 20

150 x 15

150 x 15

150 x 15

Bent-over rows

155 x 7

155 x 10

155 x 8

155 x 8

135 x 14

That was it. Then I had dinner with my family (Dad visiting from Corvallis and flying to Australia tomorrow) and ate a ton!

Now home about to sleep.

Back at it tomorrow.

Today was a big trash-talking day....I nearly dropped a 115 lb dumbbell on Lean and Green's foot to get him to shut up!

We weighed in today and out of nowhere he outweights me by 4.5 pounds! He's packed on about 17 pounds in 5 weeks or something crazy like that. His physique has transformed in amazing ways! So he had some trash to talk as we trained tonight and then of course since my arms are stronger I had a lot to talk about...while he was curling 40's I was curling 75's (then heavier)...while he was preacher curling 75, I was curling 100.....etc. Back and forth it went for 2 hours as we hammered it!

We did a few different exercises at first, but then the remaining 1.5 hours we trained together.

Here is what "my" workout looked liked:

Biceps

Dumbbell bicep curls

25s x 15

30s x 15

30s x 10

35s x 10

40s x 6

45s x 5

50s x 4

Dumbbell hammer curls

55s x 8

60s x 6

70s x 4

75s x 4

80s x 4

Preacher curls (some sets wide grip, others narrow grip)

75 x 8

75 x 6

85 x 8

95 x 6

100 x 6

Lying cable biceps curls

75 x 7

60 x 10

75 x 7

Rope pully biceps curls

50 x 10

70 x 10

100 x 8

Traps

Barbell shrugs

245 x 8

285 x 15

315 x 12

325 x 15

405 x 4 (partial reps)

Dumbbell Shrugs

85s x 15

100s x 10

105s x 5 (felt like ripping skin in my hand had to set them down early)

110s x 10

115s x 5

80s x 14

That was it. Then ate two packages of tofu on the drive home, handfuls of blueberries and I'll get more to eat in a few min. It is midnight so I won't do shakes...I have a bladder like a 5 year old so most of my liquid is morning and day and I still pee every 30 minutes. But I had Vega earlier today, multiple Pro Bars, yams, etc.

Lean and Green is really eating big...I mean BIG and is getting B.I.G. too.

We're on our own this weekend doing our own thing and will meet up for a Big day of lifting on Monday. I plan to press 115's with my chest!

405 x 4 (partial reps)

hmmmm..... so quick to list the exact details of how you were able to lift more than me with your biceps while you were unable to even have 1 full repetition with those so called "partial" reps. Whilst I repped out a solid 5 full repetitions with the same weight as you blamed it on the straps you weren't used to and the power rack having the bars set too low and you don't know how to do a 1/8th rack pull to get the weight started and all that....

MAN UP!

Dani said she never saw you look so defeated when you put your head down in the gym after admitting to her that I was 4.5 lbs heavier than you right now. I told her to wait until after the contest concludes and they announce my placing ahead of you BUDDAY!!!!!!!

SHOW NO MERCY! You're going DOWWWWWWN

As i sit here relaxed and ready waiting for DV to help us out with posing with the generous offer to connect us with 2 NPC judges who are going make sure we put a good show on; I see you pounding as much food as possible in the BACKSEAT of YOUR OWN CAR, giving me the space i need to spread out while you try to play catch up.......

It's on RC.

Don't get emotional.......................

405 x 4 (partial reps)

hmmmm..... so quick to list the exact details of how you were able to lift more than me with your biceps while you were unable to even have 1 full repetition with those so called "partial" reps. Whilst I repped out a solid 5 full repetitions with the same weight as you blamed it on the straps you weren't used to and the power rack having the bars set too low and you don't know how to do a 1/8th rack pull to get the weight started and all that....

MAN UP!

Dani said she never saw you look so defeated when you put your head down in the gym after admitting to her that I was 4.5 lbs heavier than you right now. I told her to wait until after the contest concludes and they announce my placing ahead of you BUDDAY!!!!!!!

SHOW NO MERCY! You're going DOWWWWWWN

As i sit here relaxed and ready waiting for DV to help us out with posing with the generous offer to connect us with 2 NPC judges who are going make sure we put a good show on; I see you pounding as much food as possible in the BACKSEAT of YOUR OWN CAR, giving me the space i need to spread out while you try to play catch up.......

It's on RC.

Don't get emotional.......................

lmao..

I give respect where respect is due......I've got nothing but good things to say about Lean and Green. He has surprised not only me but a lot of people with his weight gain and physique transformation. My eyebrows have certainly been raised but I'm not scared or worried. I've been making great gains, have been setting new Personal Best lifts everyday and I'm focusing on me. I can't control his physique, in fact I'm trying to find ways to help him improve his physique, but I can control mine in every way and that is where my focus and attention is and I'm very pleased with my recent progress.

I certainly am stronger than Lean and Green in many exercises, and he is certainly stronger than me in many exercises. Our bodies are way different. We did some professional posing today and it is very evident from not only photos but from posing today that we have very different structures. He has some advantages, I have some advantages. Sure, we both want to place ahead of each other...no doubt about that. We're both confident we'll place ahead of the other, and we're both in some ways honestly worried about how we'll stack up against Octopussoir, even if we act tough as if we're not worried about him.

Today was a good day of posing. I had a lot of fun and it was great to see DV again too. It had been a while. The fack that Lean and Green is heavier right now helped me evaluate my own diet and make some changes. I see that as a positive. I know he's going to do a lot more trash talking that I am and that is something I'll just have to get used to. I do it as well sometimes so that's the way it goes. I do find it a bit annoying but if it helps bring out something in me that can be improved.....so be it...and ultimately if it annoys me enough, I'll just make sure when we get on stage, there is no doubt that my physique will make him quiet up immediately.

For now, we're training partners, helping each other out, pushing each other and finding ways to better ourselves to set ourselves apart from the others.

I look forward to more posing. I learned a lot today and we can both use some major work in this area.....I just got home and Tasha has made more food for me...I better eat up!

Time to "Man Up" and eat up because I know all too well, when your physique speaks for itself, there is no need to interrupt.

I give respect where respect is due......I've got nothing but good things to say about Lean and Green. He has surprised not only me but a lot of people with his weight gain and physique transformation. My eyebrows have certainly been raised but I'm not scared or worried. I've been making great gains, have been setting new Personal Best lifts everyday and I'm focusing on me. I can't control his physique, in fact I'm trying to find ways to help him improve his physique, but I can control mine in every way and that is where my focus and attention is and I'm very pleased with my recent progress.

I certainly am stronger than Lean and Green in many exercises, and he is certainly stronger than me in many exercises. Our bodies are way different. We did some professional posing today and it is very evident from not only photos but from posing today that we have very different structures. He has some advantages, I have some advantages. Sure, we both want to place ahead of each other...no doubt about that. We're both confident we'll place ahead of the other, and we're both in some ways honestly worried about how we'll stack up against Octopussoir, even if we act tough as if we're not worried about him.

Today was a good day of posing. I had a lot of fun and it was great to see DV again too. It had been a while. The fack that Lean and Green is heavier right now helped me evaluate my own diet and make some changes. I see that as a positive. I know he's going to do a lot more trash talking that I am and that is something I'll just have to get used to. I do it as well sometimes so that's the way it goes. I do find it a bit annoying but if it helps bring out something in me that can be improved.....so be it...and ultimately if it annoys me enough, I'll just make sure when we get on stage, there is no doubt that my physique will make him quiet up immediately.

For now, we're training partners, helping each other out, pushing each other and finding ways to better ourselves to set ourselves apart from the others.

I look forward to more posing. I learned a lot today and we can both use some major work in this area.....I just got home and Tasha has made more food for me...I better eat up!

Time to "Man Up" and eat up because I know all too well, when your physique speaks for itself, there is no need to interrupt.

Chill out, he's just messing around with you.

Jack has a larger frame of course he will weigh more, weight doesn't matter, it's how you look.

Also, you were bragging about being stronger in curls before he ever talked any trash on here.

I'm talking about in person.... Can't get the guy to shut up already. But in the gym there is very little trash talking.....just support as we both push it very hard.

There is a lot of excitement....newspapers, magazines, etc. know about our contest....so we both get excited, anxious, and have both made impressive gains.

I aim to press 115's in each hand for chest press on Monday....will report back with results. New PB's every week and that is the way I like it. Time to eat and rest up. Will also start doing more cardio. I have only done a bit so far but it was fun....I forgot how much I miss the stair stepper

I'm talking about in person.... Can't get the guy to shut up already. But in the gym there is very little trash talking.....just support as we both push it very hard.

There is a lot of excitement....newspapers, magazines, etc. know about our contest....so we both get excited, anxious, and have both made impressive gains.

I aim to press 115's in each hand for chest press on Monday....will report back with results. New PB's every week and that is the way I like it. Time to eat and rest up. Will also start doing more cardio. I have only done a bit so far but it was fun....I forgot how much I miss the stair stepper

Oh yeah, nobody can get the guy to shut up.

Get the trash talking on film, drama is always necessary.

Good training lately, Robert. That much volume would probably kill me, but it seems to work for you guys

405 x 4 (partial reps)

Just a thought, but after your "Squatting 560" comments in another thread, you might want to at least give Robert credit for being honest here