Jumping Rope: your thoughts?

plinerd

If I remember correctly this was supposed to be a great workout, incorporating many parts of the body. Does that still hold true? I'm looking for something I can do while at work on my dinner break (we have a back room and I work with--at most--one other person). I used to jog/run but it's less safe now with icy roads and sidewalks, plus I figured using a jumprope would work my other muscles more. I'm looking to lose some fat and get some lean muscle.

What are your thoughts? And do you have any recommendations for a good one? I'm only 5'1" if that matters. Many thanks!!

Indeed. I am able to eat my dinner at my desk, so I'll be using my entire dinner break for the workout and clean up, and I can do dinner afterwards. It's a decent set-up. The floors back there are really hard...I have a mat that might work well. I'll do some experimenting. Now to figure out what rope to buy. My guess is that the only REAL factor would be length, but I'm sure I'll b surprised.

Jump Rope == Bad For The Knees Over Time

Better to get a mini trampoline or do something else.

Hmm, is it really that bad and if so, compared to what? Is it much worse than running and do the ground material affect the outcome (like it does for runners)?

A trampoline seems hard to have in an office.

Did not really answer my questions.

As I said earlier, I used to do it a lot in the gym. But that was on a rubber floor that was really soft. I did it basically every day for about 4 months and did not notice anything but positive effect on my whole body.

Zinzen, OMG, that's funny. *giggle*

I have some floor padding that I've used in the past for pilates and such. I'm going to put it together (it's pieced together) to see how much coverage it provides, because I would like to jump on it if possible. The back room is pretty hard. That said, I would also think that, as with running and other impact activities, if I kept my movements minimal I could minimize the damage (meaning not jumping quite so high, making sure to land on soft knees, etc). And making sure the muscles around the knee are strong is a little added insurance, yes?

FWIW, this would only be once or twice per week AT MOST for about 15-20 minutes. I only have a 30 minute dinner and would need time to get in and out of work clothes and de-funktify myself.

Depending on who you talk to everything is bad for the knees, just like everything causes cancer, just work out and stop being such a pansy

I've also read that for most people the benefits of running outweigh the possible damage to the knees. Something like folks who run on appropriate surfaces (NOT concrete all the time) have strong enough legs and the exercise provides lubrication...I believe it actually helps with arthritis pain. Hm, I should go look that up for evidence. Nothing worse than spewing info with nothing to back me up, eh?

Here's an article, and it's probably the one I read the first time since I used to get this mag:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--9247-0,00.html

• 1 month later...

In case anyone is interseted, startd jumping at work only a couple times per week for about 20 minutes total. More like jumping 100 times (about 50 seconds) and then walking it off for a minute, and then repeating until my time is up.

WOW! I was walking funny the day after the first time, and two days after the first time I could REALLy feel it. Amazing.

And, I know there was some discussion about impact, but I've also heard the argument that running is even higher impact given that your feet are supposed to remain as close to the ground as possible in jumping. Interesting.

Anyway, thought I'd share!

Jumping rope is a great cardio exercise and good for developing rhythm and coordination - that's why boxers, thai boxers and many other fighters do it. I often jump rope for 10 minutes to warm up before sparring or training. I don't think it's necessarily hard on the knees. That depends on the surface. If anything, your feet and ankles will feel it first. Expect some pain while they get stronger. If you get persistent knee pain, then stop. If I can add one thing - try to jump rope barefoot - this will build the foot muscles, which will help everything else above them (ankles, knees, back etc).

Anyways, happy training!

Yes, jump rope is hard on the knees.

huh? ... your muscles take most of the punishment, if you're not jumping high up and do it on some kind of absorbing flooring your knees should be fine. i've never had knee pains from jumping rope. granted my calves are wrecked right now lol but i'm ok with that

I jump rope everyday as a warm up before kickboxing and it is an excellent exercise. Coordinates your muscles to work together. Gives you cardio and endurance. Good for body rhythem and timing. I've never had knee problems from it nor has anyone I train with and a lot of us do it barefoot everyday.

That's it I'm getting me a jump rope...!!!

I've been looking for something better to do warmups with other than running and I think this is it!

I watched that youtube video of VeganPotter hitting the jump rope at Vegan Vacation, I've never seen people do that where they only move their feet a few inches of the floor! How long does it take to get that good do you reckon?

That's it I'm getting me a jump rope...!!!

I've been looking for something better to do warmups with other than running and I think this is it!

I watched that youtube video of VeganPotter hitting the jump rope at Vegan Vacation, I've never seen people do that where they only move their feet a few inches of the floor! How long does it take to get that good do you reckon?

You're really only supposed to jump just enough so the rope has room to get under you, and then you land "softly" supposedly (I always feel like a hippo landing, no matter how "soft" I land, LOL). So I think the low jumping is more about technique and form than it is about endurance or physical strength. If you find that you're having trouble, make sure your rope is the correct length for you.

yeah your only supposed to go high enough to get the rope under you. This way you can really work up some speed. it doesn't take long to get to that point. length is very important. I don't like some of the adjustable ropes because they won't stay the setting you put them at so just pick up a cheap rope and tie it off yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard on the knees?

how about hard on your toes?! Inevitably you will mess your rythm and if barefoot will give your toes a good whipping,it hurts! Especially if using one of the heavy thai jump ropes.

Jumping rope is awesome,it develops endurance,leg strength,stamina and burns a bunch of calories

Hard on the knees?

how about hard on your toes?! Inevitably you will mess your rythm and if barefoot will give your toes a good whipping,it hurts! Especially if using one of the heavy thai jump ropes.

Jumping rope is awesome,it develops endurance,leg strength,stamina and burns a bunch of calories

OMGosh, so I'm sure it's not REALLY funny, but you almost made me blow rice milk out my nose. OUCH!!! I hope your toes are okay.

Hard on the knees?

Yes it hurts the toes and legs. But I didn't have a problem with my knees.

Before I became vegan. I use a leather rope with ball barrings inside the handles for weight.

I use to slash my legs and toes for messing up double jumps and cross overs.

Hurts like a son of a ....... when you're not warmed up.

Speed rope works, it's cruelty free, cost under $10, light and it's a lot faster to jump with.