LnG's RawVeganBodybuilder Video Blog; CONTEST TOMORROW

Decline Weighted Crunches (dumbbell held behind the neck)

Why do you hold the dumbbell behind your head? I usually do 3 sets of 15 reps each with a 25lb plate on my chest on a decline bench on the highest setting.

Behind the head makes it harder.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decline Weighted Crunches (dumbbell held behind the neck)

Why do you hold the dumbbell behind your head? I usually do 3 sets of 15 reps each with a 25lb plate on my chest on a decline bench on the highest setting.

Behind the head makes it harder.

Yep!!! WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY harder. I do both although but I prefer the behind the neck ones as I feel they create a better method of resistance. I have to use (3) 45lb plates on my chest to get the same resistance as a 15-25lb dumbell behind my neck. If my back wasn't strong; i'd hurt myself doing those no matter how much my core was engaged. If I only have time for one of those exercises I always choose behind the neck....

Yep!!! WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY harder. I do both although but I prefer the behind the neck ones as I feel they create a better method of resistance. I have to use (3) 45lb plates on my chest to get the same resistance as a 15-25lb dumbell behind my neck. If my back wasn't strong; i'd hurt myself doing those no matter how much my core was engaged. If I only have time for one of those exercises I always choose behind the neck....

Aww crap man, now I'm going to have to try these I've never actually done behind the head, just on the chest - I hadn't thought the difficulty would be increased that much. Though on the chest is bad enough, I hate ab work

Anything held behind the neck like that will put unwanted strain on neck and spine. Be CAREFUL!

Here is a better alternative:

1. have a 10lb or 25lb plate or DB on chest.

2. do 20 reps and on the last one hold it in the half-way position for 20seconds-1min(look up the whole time,not down).

Alternative 2:

1. hold db's out to each side like youre a scarecrow.

2. keep back as straight as you can and head up the whole time.

Just my advice and .02

Just a wee point as I fear I'm beginning to sound like a form fascist. In powerlifting terms at least, squatting until your hamstrings are parallel with the ground isn't "squatting to parallel". In powerlifting, the crease of the hip must drop beneath the top of the knee. That will be substantially lower for most people, especially if you have big legs.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with squatting to "hamstring parallel", depends what your aims are.

Anything held behind the neck like that will put unwanted strain on neck and spine. Be CAREFUL!

2. do 20 reps and on the last one hold it in the half-way position for 20seconds-1min(look up the whole time,not down).

Alternative 2:

Just my advice and .02

Thanks for the alternative.

I did try these tonight with the dumbbell behind the neck way. I started with a 5 lb dumbbell and i did 15 reps. didn't think it was hard so I went and got a 10 lb dumbbell and did 3 rounds of 10 reps. I do agree that it did seem harder with the lower weight behind my head than the heavier weight on my chest. Harder in the sense that it took me longer to get up and it was tired after about 8 reps. I always do the isometric hold at the end but I don't time it i just do it til I can't hold it anymore. I will try to start timing it just to see how long it really is. I can't say I liked these better than the plate on the chest because it is hard to hold the dumbbells behind you head comfortably compared to the plate on the chest. I am going to try to the scarecrow method tomorrow and see how I like that.

Alternative 2:

Just my advice and .02

Thanks for the alternative.

I did try these tonight with the dumbbell behind the neck way. I started with a 5 lb dumbbell and i did 15 reps. didn't think it was hard so I went and got a 10 lb dumbbell and did 3 rounds of 10 reps. I do agree that it did seem harder with the lower weight behind my head than the heavier weight on my chest. Harder in the sense that it took me longer to get up and it was tired after about 8 reps. I always do the isometric hold at the end but I don't time it i just do it til I can't hold it anymore. I will try to start timing it just to see how long it really is. I can't say I liked these better than the plate on the chest because it is hard to hold the dumbbells behind you head comfortably compared to the plate on the chest. I am going to try to the scarecrow method tomorrow and see how I like that.

hear ya Octo but never experienced any sort of strain from them. Guess it's all relative. Your methods sound interesting as well and i'll prob try them.

MaryStella, I grab the plates with my hands and rest the grip on the back right below my neck where the traps meet. Is this the way you did them?

Other options i've tried before as an alternative for the similar resistance. Put a backpack on and load it with plates and keep it tight to your back with the straps or get a theraband or something and have it resist you on the way up by either attaching it to the bench of having someone hold it in place for ya....

Phil tasha isn't serious about that vid. You have NO idea how much tasha, xveganjoshx, thendanisays, leanandgreen, and I made fun of this video during vv '08

Nobody actually takes it serious, we just like to laugh at it.

Edited by Zack

Well uh...I thought it was good.

How do you know he can't?

His body language is saying that he is lying. Right after he says it his hand covers his mouth which is basicly the first thing you do when you're a bad liar. You try to stop the lie from coming out of your mouth. He also says "I can probably squat/deadlift #pounds"...WTF probably? Either you know how much you lift or you shut up. That video is so funny and stupid, when they talk about people getting wrinkles they film the guy that they later interview about how great raw foods are, only then he is wearing make-up.

Things I learned from watching this video :

1. Nigerians have US accents.

2. Australia is actually just a greenscreen with Uluru matted in.

3. Anti-science woo actually makes my blood boil.

4. Anecdotal evidence is apparently all you need to convince people.

5. Toxic orange = healthy.

6. "Life or death... the choice is yours." No, I'm pretty sure that you'll remain mortal irrespective of diet.

Grr.

Phil tasha isn't serious about that vid. You have NO idea how much tasha, xveganjoshx, thendanisays, leanandgreen, and I made fun of this video during vv '08

Guess Who ?

http://fresh-network.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83453cfa669e2010534c86014970c-320wi

Guess Who ?

I lawld. But honestly we should not hijack LnGs log guys.

Guess Who ?

I think he will enjoy what we have done with it.

lol @ that pic tasha.

Ah yeah... didn't notice that first time round...damn my niaveity. Still it makes sense to me that we should give our bodies live food and not dead stuff.

Everything's dead once it's pulled from the ground. And either way everything dies by our stomach.

Guess Who ?

Zack's right.

LG likes what I post in his blog.

So your statement doesn't matter.