Octopussoir's '09-'10 BB'ing Competitions

Wow Octo, your work is great. Fabulous job! You're so dedicated and hardcore.

The one thing I have noticed since preparing for this show is my hand muscle and grip strength have almost disappeared. I cant hold onto really heavy weight for long(without straps) and doing the simplest things like dips just tears me up right to the bone. I have never had this problem as I have always had meaty hands and great grip strength. Im working through it though!

How has this been?I'm not one to be offering advice to you, or even speculating, but could it be that you're working so hard, you're getting a little overly depleted?
Im eating more these days(which Im not sure is good), but Im able to make it through two hour workouts without much fatigue.
And the crazy cravings? I'm thinking you should def add more sleep/rest in there. You're the expert tho... you know what you're doing!

The vegan movement is so lucky to have you, Robert, and L&G representing us. Thanks for all your hard work, it sounds like you're having fun!

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People have been saying my attitude and personality is changing. I get irritated faster. It seems im moody. ARGGG. Oh yeah I was off all last weekend. No Freakin Excuse for it!!!! None what so ever. Then, right before I go to the Nickelback concert in Nashville it feels as if my right shoulder needs a good stretching. I stretch it as it feels tight and then somehow I popped it. Well, as the night went on I could feel my traps and my shoulder hurt. Just thought it was from standing for so long in the PIT at the concert. Well its been two days and shoulder still hurts. Yesterday I rehabbed it at the gym. I think it came from doing flat BB bench Tues which I normally dont do due to my elbow pain and such. I will train today and kcik up my cardio. My calories are lower so cardio is a bit harder for me to do. I just cant force a lot of food down my throat especially knowing I need my abs to show up on stage day.

We are ALL getting more moody....that is just part of it. I snapped or 'flipped out' according to roommates last week and have had various bouts with frustration and irritation for sure. Even yesterday riding the bike after 2.5 hours of training, I just wanted to be left alone. That is the case at home too....it's just part of bodybuilding...it's not the nicest thing for us to do, but nobody knows what it is like to live a 24 hour sport and compete unless they do it...I've had other contest prep periods where I was fine, didn't get too bothered, but I don't think I trained as hard.

When I'm training very hard and stress is high, etc. it's hard to keep composure all the time, and the more we do keep our cool, the better for everyone....but it is hard. Just go back and look at my journal and Lean and Green's journal....we spend 1/4 the time just ranting...that is part of bodybuilding, totally natural and nobody can possibly understand it unless they've lived this lifestyle as a competitor. We do try hard to be as nice as we can be...it's just hard.

Be careful man....I'm telling Lean and Green too...he was going to do heavy partial reps for legs and I talked to him about risk of injury now that we're cutting calories, cutting cards, doing cardio and weeks away from contest...no sense in getting injured and not able to compete by pushing it too hard when having less strength.

I'm doing the same...still super intense workouts, perhaps more intense because there are more reps requiring longer reps, sets and more energy output...but just not super heavy weight that could hurt me. Some workouts will still be very heavy and very strong but the idea is to just be cautious and conscious of the fact that we "should" be slightly weaker and it is totally natural.

All the best man! Rest up and eat up!

Yeh Octo,

Rest up, take it easy, don't hurt yourself but still train hard and sleep and nourish your body. It's going to need to be in tip top shape so that when basic functions are compromised due to dehydration / low bf and taxing stuff on your system, you'll function optimally.

I stopped my partials for squats. Was going to do 600lbs but why bother, for what? I'd rather do full rom with lighter weight right now then see what that feels like on my back. I did do 10 pl on each side on the sled however, lol whatever! But yeh, i'm going safe and training hard.

I am somewhat irritable as well and these all protein days leave me famished and my body wondering why it's not getting fed but we do what we need to do budday.

Today is one of those days for instance. No excuses, gym in a few for me and RC. Should get going. stay swol.........

did 20min on bike for warmup.

1hr of arms... trying to see what hurts. luckily nothing did. kept the reps high and weight relatively low. i even did some pullups, pushups, and only a couple sets of dips(did not wanna risk further injury).

after arms i jumped on treadclimber for 30 min and boy did i sweat! thanks RC!!! i was keeping my heartrate between 147 and 160.

came home and drank 2 scoops of vega and 2 s oops of nutiva, about 10 grape leaf wraps(had white rice which i normally dont touch)..love these damn things!!! also had a small handful of raw pumpkin seeds. i will add a spinach salad and another protein shake before bed.

Nice man! Keep it pumping!

Have a great weekend, rest up or lean up, whatever you need to do. Of course take it easy if something is bothering you with your shoulder or arms.....even though we're only 2 months away from contest, taking a couple or even a few days off is just fine.....especially if cardio can still be done or lower body training, etc.

All the best man.....have a great one.

I was determined not to let ANY injury get to me. The three day of rehab on my shoulder seemed to work well! Im back at working out hard again. Today was a cardio/leg mix day. Didnt go heavy, but did up the reps to nothin under 20.

Went to vitamin shoppe and got some more BCAA's, Glutamine powder, 2 bags Nutiva hemp seeds, and some NO Xplode(grape). Will continue to keep going at it hard. I had a couple people asking me about veganism today and where I get my protein at... felt good man.

Thanks Tasha!!

Just to add and explain bout today. I warmed up for 20min on bike. Then did some squats with only 115lbs sets of 20. After wards it was Leg press(90lbs) and Leg Extension, BW squats(sets of 30) and some calves. Seated ham curls were also in there. After workout I did 20min on treadclimber.

8:00pm- 1 hour on precor and 30min on stationary bike. I took these pictures right after 1.5 hours of cardio. 8 weeks out!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2j4uko9.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/33orwi0.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/18g7dw.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/20hu8p1.jpg

IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/29qcx1g.jpg[/img]

http://i43.tinypic.com/29qcx1g.jpg

Holy crap! Holy crap! That is all I can say over and over.....man, you are going to be AWESOME on stage! Extremely well done and still 2 months away. You will be scary ripped and huge by contest day.

Totally, totally awesome!

I'm working very hard but now I am motivated even more to turn it up a notch!

Thanks for posting the pics!

Tuesday I did only 10min warmup with an hour of bicep and tricep. I then came home, ate big and did 30mn on the bike and then 30min on the precor(1hour total).

Wed(today): im taking off today and having a rest day. for some reason I appear smaller today than usual. Hmm. Weird.

I love your hamstrings and calves and I also love the triceps viewed in the back photo. Not many people can get good, visible triceps from the back like that.

Very well done sir!

I'm off to L.A. for 10 days....keep in touch....stay SWOL!!!