BabyVegan's training blog

So, it's January, and like a lot of people, I'm using this as the opportunity to start again! First off, (and in our society today I, as a girl, unfortunately have to say all this BS) I'm happy with the way I currently am, I know I'm at a healthy weight, etc. Point is, I know I could feel better (physically as well as mentally). As of this morning, I'm currently 5'6 and weigh 121lbs. I'm going for somewhere closer to 115lb (and though it's just a number, I intend of having it be lean muscle, not being a skinny fat person). So it's not a big step, but it's been my sticking point to get under the 120lb bar for about 2 years now. The things I'm really trying to improve (and I also know that spot reduction doesn't work), is pretty much all tummy related, thus my dependency on cardio and diet for the most part...

I've only been vegan for about 3 months now (but was a vegetarian before) and it feels great. I love food, and that's an understatement. One thing is, I was told (and also recommended by my chiropractor) to have small meals throughout the day. I used to do that all the time, but even after drastic portion reduction, I felt too full all the time and went up to 126lbs. I'm back to three small meals a day now and I feel I have more control over my diet, but since the world is telling me to eat small meals throughout the day, I almost feel obliged to. I should listen to my intuition though right? or not? I've also found that though I eat cereal in the morning (and won't give that up! It's too good!) I find that the more complex carbs I eat throughout the day the fuller/more bloated I feel so I've been trying to cut down on that, and sugar (though even there, it's usually honey, organic cane sugar, or some other not refined sugar substitute).

Anyway, I guess my big thing is that I do cardio 5 days a week (usually 20 minutes of high intensity interval training--usually on the treadmill or stair climber-- followed by stretching) and 1 day of strength training (used to be 2 or 3 but I was bulking up too much so now it's more for maintenance). I feel that to get where I want I should do more cardio (also a girl stigma, but hey)... should I? I just find that 20 minutes gets me pretty tired given the intensity, and really I have a hard time keeping the attention span to bump it up to 30 minutes. I have turned 2 of my cardio days to swimming laps and the highest intensity I can for 30 minutes (I've only been doing that for a week though)... so maybe that will help? I also dance about every other day for about 30 minutes-1 hour, though I've always found that to be more a yoga like workout than 'cardio'... but when I skip of day of practice, I have noticed it makes a difference too.

I'm just kind of at a loss of where to go from here. Any suggestions on how to get below that 120lb bar?

Otherwise, I'll just keeping posting to motivate myself Thanks in advance for the help/comments.

And for further motivation, here's a pic of what I'm starting with. Please excuse the cheesiness of the pose but it's the most recent and useful picture I have and was prompted by my husband...

me.thumb.jpg.4ec0a4539685cc542876506b4c5c460a.jpg

Edited by BabyVegan

Welcome! You have a great physique

Wow you work out loads! ...probably more than me at the moment at that

I don't think I can help much but I think you're probably going in a good direction with the swimming. I don't know from experience because I've never done much swimming (will have to adjust that in the future!) but I've heard that its a great way to lose weight and tone up.

I love food, and that's an understatement.

Eat what you are comfortable doing. Working out. Be careful with the swimming - if you're that anti bulking up then you can tend to get swimmers shoulders. It all depend on how much muscle you're willing to take on.. Personally I want to be stacked, but it doesnt sound like thats your idea of ideal.. Also, put in one low intensity, long time cardio a week, like at least 60 -90 minutes, running slow is my personal favorite - nothing crazy like 10 minuite miles or 12- 14 if youre not normally a runner. That will help with cuttign the extra weight. Im 5'6 too and I find I look best between 116 -118, I can model at 114 for clothes, 118 for fitness.. However, my newest goal is to be that ripped and packing 125 because like I said I want guns!!!

And yes, you need to bump up your cardio in order to get lean or cut your meals which I never recommend. Also, look at your water intake, chances are you can up it, when in doubt drink a glass of water - it'll help you tell if you're really hungry, and it'll keep cravings down.

Thanks for the input!

I know I probably just need to suck it up and do the eating small meals thing but I guess my excuse is that my French background has it culturally ingrained in my head that you set down to eat 3 meals a day and just don't snack.

Though I have been able to break out of that habit, because of the small amounts I eat to it, I just feel like I'm bird feeding and that just isn't very culinarily satisfying... problem is, when I do it right, I do feel a lot better. Don't know how to reconcile those two things.

And aluck, considering it seems you're where I want to be, what kind of work out did/do you do to stay within the 114-118 range? Thanks!

I eat 3 meals a day and was 145 lbs but now I am 135. I lost most of the fat on my body mainly eating small snacks in between like handful of nuts or fruit between main meals. During main meals I eat to 80 fullness. What is working for me. Well I decided to eat a lot more raw food. That is like fruits and salads. I thought I would loose muscle. I found out that that was not true. I don't take any bulking supplements extra protein etc.. I eat about 1500 to 2000 calories or so daily. All my vegetables are eaten raw except for onion because I get complaints about the strong smell of raw onion. Avocado is a great fruit/ vegetable to eat and I eat one almost every day. I go to to the gym 30-40 mins and I do 15 minutes of cardio and the rest is weight trainning. I don't gain weight. I feel more energetic because I am not held down by tons and tons of processed foods and am pushing to just get more ripped. Fight Club style! All cooked kept to much fat on my body because it got me to eat to many calories and eat more refined foods. Add more raw foods to your diet.

if you doubt that works check it out

philip mclusky cbs

does not have to be 100 percent raw but the more the better.

Babyvegan;

This short post will be useful to you in finding reliable vegan nutrition information:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13710

Many people will recommend a fad diet called "raw foodism" please be aware that it is not based and often contradicts medical facts. It is "Atkins for vegans" that respect. Anyway, do research, talk to people with reliable credentials and decide for yourself.

I would encourage you to stay exactly as you are. If that photo is recent, as a guy, I don't see any way your looks could improve.

If you want to put on muscle you will have to cut down on all of that cardio. The good news is that a weigh lifting routine will be more effective for keeping the fat off your body than you would think and you will be in the gym slightly less. A good person to PM/talk to would be "veggie princess". She competes and does consulting. Another person is DV, she is a serious female vegan bodybuilder who knows her stuff.

Sorry took me so long to respond.. Didnt see your post to me - next time if you dont mind shoot me an email hun! Best best for me to be 114- 118 range... Lots of cardio. Personally Im a runner, but pick your poison, whatever keeps you personally from being bored, but be careful that its a full body exercise - if you swim spend some time on the kickboard to stay even, if you row, spend several days on legs instead on just one or two a week bump it to three... My cardio was no less than 40 minutes a day, and between 90 minutes and 6 hours one day.. Then again I had plenty of time on my hands and was still consuming 2,500 or so calories, so if you wasnt to do less then start cutting calories, eat more raw, and get to the basics... Drink only water, no empty calories, drink lots of water... When in doubt eat raw and fresh... What else? Hmm there so much to tell you, but Ive got to get to class. Email me!

So I've re-instituted my usual (but recently removed) habit of 'eating every three hours' and its been working out really well even after only two days! I decided to just suck it up, eat more frequently but eat less... if I feel like I'm eating like a bird, I can learn to enjoy it (which I have!) I guess the motivational factor of joining VBB has woked

Didn't post yesterday but that consisted in a morning cardio workout (25 minutes medium-high intensity) and an afternoon strength training workout (chest, shoulders and back).

Today was another cardio day (25 minutes of interval training) on the treadmill + 10 minutes of stretching and light abs... will probably go swimming tomorrow because I'm feeling the two days in a row of treadmill in my knees, big time.

Meal 1 (9:30am): Nature's Path cereal (the best thing that ever happened to cereal) with pineapple and 1/4 of an orange

Cardio at 11am

Meal 2 (1pm): mixed veggie salad (way too many to remember) with bbq tofu

Meal 3 (4pm): 1 scoop of vega w/ water

Meal 4 (7pm): seitan and broccoli

Also, I usually don't tend to count water because I know I drink way more than 2L a day and I just lose track..

All in all, an awesome day! Wanted to get in some dance practice today, but looks like grad school is piling up stuff on me this week... excuses excuses!

You look fantastic! Nice shoulders and arms. I'd say you're eating great now, just follow your inner voice on the eating. Eating small meals through the day worked for me, but everyone is different. I like it since it keeps the metabolism even all day long and I also rotate calories, more some days, less others. Just to not get the body used to anything.

Seriously girl, when you get lean you'll be fitness model material. Even now you look great!

Like I heard when I joined the forum, lift heavy. (Work your way up to it, though). I do that and my body has gotten in much better shape and looks more feminine. I use 15 lbs now, it used to be 8. I also use small weights during cardio. I don't know if you want to get ripped, but you have a wonderful starting point.

Yeah, I wanna get ripped. Don't know if it will happen, but I'm giving it a shot. Heavy weights, lots of cardio (still chubby a bit on the belly), loads of protein, and water! Check out the diets and the exercises on the profile pages of the people whose physiques you admire, that's where I went first.

dropSoul:

Thanks so much for the encouragement and the advice And good luck to you as well, your progress has been awesome!!

I've definitely been on a successful hunt for people whom I admire and whose training I will follow. I also think that's the easiest, most inspirational and most effective way to get where you want!

I do tend to lift pretty heavy right now already, though my goal is not to get ripped, so I'm learning to balance that! I've definitely doubled what I could do when I started. I don't push crazy hard just because when I have I did start to get ripped and that is the opposite of what I was going for, so I stay just below that, which seems to be serving me just fine!

Cardio cardio cardio...

That's pretty much been my week and for the first time in a long time, I'm loving it!

Wednesday:

Busy so became something of an off-ish day

-30 minutes of yoga

-1 hour of dance

Thursday:

-35 minutes on the treadmill

(a big deal for me as I did it non-stop instead of my usual interval training at a level which is usually a higher one for me... felt so awesome afterwards, I think I buzzed off of that for a while)

-15 minutes of stretching

Friday:

-20 minutes of interval training on stair climber

-back strength training because I felt like it since I'd been sitting at a conference all day, and back training is the funnest thing ever)

-20 minutes of stretching + abs

Today:

-started off my morning with 20 minutes of yoga

-hopefully heading out to the pool for a 45 minute swim later on

So to cope with my three meal issue, I've added in a fourth meal between 1pm-ish and 7pm-ish by just having a liquid meal (some form of organic meal replacement powder), and it's doing wonders!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been posting for the good reason that opening this account has served as enough motivation that I've been sticking to my plan and haven't really had the time to update. Things have been going well (ups and downs based on my occasional inability to deal with my now very picky metabolism).

Things that have changed:

-I'm going on a 40 day detox during which I'll maintain my workout schedule but will be detoxing diet wise (following Sara Rose's detox book which I love because it actually sets up your meals for 40 days and can easily accommodate a vegan diet)

-I've instituted 20 minutes of yoga every morning (different routine every morning)

-I'm doing weights twice a week now because the increase of endurance cardio was making tired in the exhausted as opposed to the 'just had a great workout way'

-so now still doing cardio via switching between 1 day of 20 minute high intensity interval training and 1 day of 30-45 minute medium to medium-high intensity endurance cadio, but 5 days a week instead of 6

As a side note, hemp in all its glorious forms (butter, seeds, protein powder) is the greatest thing ever. I wish we'd legalize growing hemp for food in the States like in Canada because it's SO much cheaper there it's insane...

Have an awesome day!

Chantal

http://www.eatdancelive.vox.com