Questions for kick starting the fat loss at a plateau

Ryan Andrews with Precision Nutrition is a vegan, former bodybuilder, and registered dietitian. A really nice guy too, and animal rights supporter. He is in the running for Peta's sexiest vegetarian too. LOL

I don't seem to be having a problem building muscle. Everyone is commenting on my arms. I can do over 10 pull-ups now whereas when I started I couldn't do three. However, I can't get rid of this belly fat and some on my chest. I will try doing more cardio, drinking more water, and uping my protein to 20%.

DropSoul, I always hear it was 1g of protein per KG of bodyweight. However, ratios to bodyweight don't make much sense. A 200 pound couch potato eating 800 calories of protein is getting 40% protein, whereas a 150 pound endurance athlete eating 600 calories of protein and burning 6,000 calories in a day is only getting 10%. Percent protein is a much much better way to determine your protein requirements.

It seems many here recommend 20% of their calories in protein? Is that right? Most here consume 20% protein by calories to cut?

Veggie princess,

But for figure then a vegan diet works great, but I'm fitness- which vegan is great and so is raw, I compete at 7% bodyfat, but I wanted to switch to bodybuilding so maybe thats why. Or maybe my body won't go beyond 120 lb of lean mass. But ya I'm sorry to tell you that was the response I got from him and I was pretty pissed and it was a waste of money for me.

As for 20% protein the average is 15% but if your lifting heavy then go with 20%. I will have to check out that guy you said. Thanks

Ahh per KG. I know, I also hear per lb. of lean mass. I'm no expert just an ex-fatty! I used to say I have a fatitude!

Good muscle gains! It's awesome to get stronger. I love being able to lift the cat litter and my daughter and walk around the house with her (not the litter at the same time .

She's giggling. She's 9 and acts like she's 4 again when I do that.

That sucks about Chuck. Wow, 7% that IS awesome!

I have always been able to throw a 50 pound bag of dog food over my shoulder. However, now I just don't throw my back out when I do. LOL My dad told me I will always be overweight and always have back problems cause it is genetic.

Oh ya I've heared that to. I'm the only one in may family who eats health, I will assume your the same way?

Have you ever done pilates? My back has been going out for years where I would go to the chiropractor 3-4 times a week, after I started teaching pilates I go maybe 1 time a year if that.

No, I stopped being able to lift her a couple years ago. My back would suffer and it was a strain. She's 75 lbs now and I guess at that time perhaps in the high 50s or 60s, I really don't know how much she weighed at that time. She's really tall and always looks slim. Now I lunge with her, up to about 10 walking lunges and then about 10 pulse squats, not too deep, not that good yet.

Oh ya I've heared that to. I'm the only one in may family who eats health, I will assume your the same way?

Have you ever done pilates? My back has been going out for years where I would go to the chiropractor 3-4 times a week, after I started teaching pilates I go maybe 1 time a year if that.

Yes, I am the only vegan in the family. My family thinks they eat healthy. Chicken, low-fat yogurt, diet soda, etc. If they eat fruit, it is usually encased in Jello.

I have done some pilates, but do mostly yoga, Kung Fu, and P90X. The two things that really helped my back was moving my wallet to my front pocket, and getting some tighter abs. I haven't had my back go out on me in about three years. I tweaked it a couple weeks back, but it was just a little sore for a couple days. When it would go out in the past, I could only walk hunched over and looked like a caveman.