shaker cups

Hero

Most GNC type stores have them. Also most gyms will carry them too.

If you can't find one in the next few days, give me a mailing address and I'll hook you up.

Some heath food stores may carry them too, but mostly your gym/fitness/vitamin/supplement shops is where you'll find them.

-Rob

thanks but im looking for physical places not online stores.

Yeah, you said that, but i must admit i'm not that familiar with the local fitness stores in Arizona

hehe its okay. im just trying to find a supplement franchise like GNC that would have some.

Yeah Dogg - most of those kind of stores should have them, but like I said, I can get one to you within 3 days if you can't find one.

Have a great time in the blue skies! We're flooding out here. I couldn't even drive out to my mother's house. That road was flooded over near the bridge.

Later bro,

Rob

25g per serving, 55 servngs total in container. and it cost me $19.99

That's one thing i noticed about US food products - it's always labeled how much servings there are and nutrition valuess per serving. But not nutrition values per 100g and gram per box!

That's really confusing to calulate each time when you want to compare prices. "This one is 33 servings 30gram each, but this on is 45 servings 25gram each.... which is more? And which is cheaper, when one is 21$ and the other 23?" You get the idea

Also, i think it's easier to calculate your food intkae if the nutrition values are per 100g. I seldom eat the suggested amount per serving as one serving

Sorry for the little rant

i just got one at GNC. and they had so protein powder there amazing.

yeh im gonna be so happy now. its banana flavor too

you can order bulk soy protein from proteinfactory.com for $5 a pound, or thereabouts, real cheap, and different flavors, etc

That's one thing i noticed about US food products - it's always labeled how much servings there are and nutrition valuess per serving. But not nutrition values per 100g and gram per box!

That's really confusing to calulate each time when you want to compare prices. "This one is 33 servings 30gram each, but this on is 45 servings 25gram each.... which is more? And which is cheaper, when one is 21$ and the other 23?" You get the idea

Also, i think it's easier to calculate your food intkae if the nutrition values are per 100g. I seldom eat the suggested amount per serving as one serving

Sorry for the little rant

i dont understand a word you said. i cant mentally follow all that.

all i know is this stuff is good for its price.

i also dont understand percentages. like when someone says "this is 33% proten"....I'm like "uhh how many grams of protein is that?"

i also dont understand percentages. like when someone says "this is 33% proten"....I'm like "uhh how many grams of protein is that?"

Okay, here is an explanation :

Let us take a product. We'll call it Topher's Vegan Jerky. Assume our hypothetical vegan jerky has 100 calories in total, and the jerky says on it that it is 40% protein. How many grams of protein is that?

When something is say 40% protein, what that means is that 40% of the item's calories come from protein.

So, applying this to our hypothetical vegan jerky, 40% of its 100 calories are protein calories. (100 calories x 40% = 40). So 40 of the 100 total calories are protein calories.

To figure out how many GRAMS of protein that is, you simply have to remember that one gram of protein is equal to 4 calories.

So, if 1 gram of protein= 4 protein calories, how many grams of protein in 40 protein calories?

To figure that out simply take 40 divided by four = 10.

So in other words, in our hypothetical vegan jerky that says it is 40% protein, the amount of protein it has in grams is 10 grams of protein.

You can figure out the amount of carbs and fats in the same way. You just need to remember that:

One gram of carbs = 4 calories also.

Fat is more calorie dense. One gram of fat = 9 calories.

So to combine all the above info into one equation, it would be:

item's total calories multiplied by the percent of protein it says divided by the number 4 = grams in proteins.

All this reminds me of the days I used to painstakingly calculate the macronutrient ratio and calories of every morcel of food I used to consume. I was rather hardcore then about training and nutrition.

Hope that helps. By the way, I have LOTS of shaker cups (which I have never used because I always always always blend my shakes in a blender with ice). If you still want some, let me know.

**** looks like compash has more uses than than just making a pair of stilettos look good ********

actually compash that isnt correct.

when an item says that it is 40% protein it means that 40% of the weight of it is protein.

for instance - pumpkin seeds are 25% protein and about 50% fat. they have around 600cal per 100g, with 100cal coming from protein. this doesnt however mean they are 16.8% protein.

hope that makes sense - honestly you north americans - sometimes i think you just do stuff differently for the sake of it!!

jonathan

Not here.

Here, when an item says that it has a macronutrient combination of say 40:40:20, (in other words, 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat) that means that 40% of the calories come from carbs, 40% of the calories come from protein, and 20% of the calories come from fat. So if the item was say 280 calories, and it stated that it was a 40:40:20 combination, then that means that in GRAMS, it had 28 grams of proteins, 28 grams of carbs, and 6.2 grams of fats.

Lots of the different protein shakes and bars have this type of labelling. The most common ones are 40:30:30 (i.e. 40% of calories from protein, 30% of calories from carbs, and 30% of calories from fats), and 40:40:20.

peanut example. Peanuts are 79% fat, and 16% protein. What that means is that 79% of the calories from peanuts come from fat. 16% of the calories in peanuts come from protein (which is why it boggles my mind that some people view peanuts as a source of protein, when it should properly be viewed as a source of fat!).

So we'll have to agree to disagree, Jonathan, unless it is different in Europe.

Edited by compassionategirl

when an item says that it is 40% protein it means that 40% of the weight of it is protein.

for instance - pumpkin seeds are 25% protein and about 50% fat. they have around 600cal per 100g, with 100cal coming from protein. this doesnt however mean they are 16.8% protein.

jonathan

yes, Jonathan, that DOES mean they are roughly 17% protein. So I have no idea where you are getting the figures above in red.

Pumpkin seeds are approximately 17% protein and 76% fat. SO for a 600 calorie serving of pumpkin seeds, approximately 102 of those calories come from protein (as you indicated), which, in grams, works out to roughly 25 grams. The calories from fat are approximately 456 (i.e. 76% x 600= 456). In grams, that works out to about 51 grams of fat.

As Richard would say, ya feelin' me playa?

Compassionate 'stilleto' girl (Jonathan's new nickname for me).

compash - i think that it is a difference between the US and europe. over here the system i listed is used, whereas over with you its different. i stil think that our system makes more sense!

jonathan

No way! I think the system I described makes more sense. What people want to know is the calories and grams of proteins, fats and carbs. That is what makes sense!

I still think you may be interpretting the European system incorrectly. It makes no sense to say that pumpkin seeds are 50% fat and 25 % protein. Show me da proof.

i shall dig up the proof later!!

for the mean time i have to say that i think it makes far more sense to say the percentage of the weight that is fat/protein etc.

example - you take 50g of tofu. you look on the packet and you see that it is 12% protein 6% carbs and 6% fat. so you know that in that in that 50g lump of tofu there are 6g of protein, 3g of carbs and 3g of fat.

surely that makes more sense?

jonathan

jonathan

yes, Jonathan, that DOES mean they are roughly 17% protein. So I have no idea where you are getting the figures above in red.

Pumpkin seeds are approximately 17% protein and 76% fat. SO for a 600 calorie serving of pumpkin seeds, approximately 102 of those calories come from protein (as you indicated), which, in grams, works out to roughly 25 grams. The calories from fat are approximately 456 (i.e. 76% x 600= 456). In grams, that works out to about 51 grams of fat.

But wait a second Jonathan, I just realized that we are talking about two different things. The weight of the package is not the same thing as a food's macronutrient constitution. I am talking about the latter and you the former.

I think we are both right because we are talking about different things. But do you see how I am arriving at the numbers? It is factually accurate to say that 17% of a pumpkin seed's calories come from protein. It is also factually accurate to say that if an item is 100 grams, and 25% of those grams is proten, then 25 grams is the amount of prorein. You get to the same number. Of course, if you are trying to figure out the macronutrient constitution of an item, and it doesnt have the percentage of the weight of the protein, then your method cant be helpful. You'd have to take the more complicated route (i.e. my way).

if an item like your pumpkin seeds above is 100 grams per serving, and the package says 25% of those grams (i.e. the weight) is protein, then yes, 25 grams of it is from protein (a number we both arrived at, but differently).

It would be so much easier if we could talk this one through face to face . I bet we could resolve it in two minutes.

yep - twud be much easier to actually discuss this, even if it isnt that important in the scheme of things!

from my point of view it is much easier to view things in tems of grams rather than calories. the only thing that i really pay attention to is protein, and i usually try to get around 200g a day. at the same time though, i eat as much fat as possible too, in order to make up total calories. to me, the percentage of calories from fat/protein/carb is irrellevant as i just want to know how many grams im getting.

jonathan