Joel's training journal

nice! wanna share?

Lee was at the Body Ripped booth (his sponsor) signing autographs and selling his merchandise.

I'm a mate of one of the reps for Body Ripped and he allowed another mate and me to spend a bit of time with Lee after the signings were done.

Honestly I didn't really know what to say, I've seen his training videos and have read a lot about his diet and stuff (not that I particularly care, it's basic bodybuilding 'staple' food, nothing healthy about it) so we just made some small talk about him living here in Australia again and also how his injured bicep is healing.

My mate took a photo of us and I'll post it up when he emails it through to me.

Lee seemed the nicest of the pros there, maybe because he wasn't dieting but it just seemed the other U.S. guys (Kai Green, Toney Freeman, Rusty Jeffers and Silvio Samuel - he's not from the U.S.) didn't particularly want to be there.

The bench press show was good, one massive guy lifted 325kg- with a bench suit but still impressive and Kai Green's posing routine was very impressive.

It was a good day all in all.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice! wanna share?

Lee was at the Body Ripped booth (his sponsor) signing autographs and selling his merchandise.

I'm a mate of one of the reps for Body Ripped and he allowed another mate and me to spend a bit of time with Lee after the signings were done.

Honestly I didn't really know what to say, I've seen his training videos and have read a lot about his diet and stuff (not that I particularly care, it's basic bodybuilding 'staple' food, nothing healthy about it) so we just made some small talk about him living here in Australia again and also how his injured bicep is healing.

My mate took a photo of us and I'll post it up when he emails it through to me.

Lee seemed the nicest of the pros there, maybe because he wasn't dieting but it just seemed the other U.S. guys (Kai Green, Toney Freeman, Rusty Jeffers and Silvio Samuel - he's not from the U.S.) didn't particularly want to be there.

The bench press show was good, one massive guy lifted 325kg- with a bench suit but still impressive and Kai Green's posing routine was very impressive.

It was a good day all in all.

Lee seems like he's a down to earth guy. He has seen the short side of the stick with a lot of supplement companies and endorsements(from what I can remember him saying). I loved it when a bunch of pro's were bound by contract to go on BB.com and post threads. Lee said he got a better pump from eating a bowl of Fruit Loops compared to taking Cell_tech and such. Man I laughed so hard. He also let the cat out of the bag when it comes to before and after photos. There was one in particular where he had his shirt off and was full of body hair and had his belly poking out. Then the After picture he was all clean cut, shredded and tanned. He stated that the photographer(or company) wanted him to look his worst in the before photo and to stick his gut out as far as he could... I was shocked to hear that at the time. Had heard rumors of such things, but to hear a pro come out and say it made it very realistic.

Keep postin in here Joel. You the man for drinking coffee everyday. LoL

Edited by Octopussoir

Keep postin in here Joel. You the man for drinking coffee everyday. LoL

Yeah, just had one! It works better than BSN No-Xlode!!!

Lee gets himself in trouble because he is one of the few who doesn't kiss a*** to get endorsements, he is the man

The last couple of days have been really busy with work so I haven't spent much time here or managed to get all my meals in properly. Training has been ok, I've started to focus on bringing my squat and bench numbers up, I'm taking it slowly with the deadlifts and will focus on them more down the track.

Mondays workout (16-3) was chest and back

Bench press - Bar x 15

60kg x 12

110kg x 5 x 5

Incline dumbell press - 50kg x 5 x 5

Reverse grip bench press - 90kg x 5 x 3 sets

Pullups - BW x 6 x 6

Reverse grip barbell rows - 100kg x 8 x 5 sets

Parallel grip chinups - BW x 6 x 6

Diet was pretty similar to usual, I just didn't have time to eat them at the frequency I usually do.

Yesterday was a leg session, starting a squat routine but as with most routines I do I tend to change it a little, felt pretty strong and the back isn't too bad now.

Squats - Bar x 20

60kg x 20

100kg x 8

155kg x 2 x 6 sets

175kg x 2 - needed a spot on the second rep, I know the spot helped despite my training partner saying he didn't help- they all say that!

Sissy squats - held 20 kg bar over my head like an overhead squat but used the sissy squat 'machine' to hold my legs in place. 10 reps x 4 sets

Step ups onto box - 65kg x 5 x 5 - 5 reps each leg per set, the box was about 3/4 of a metre high, worked the hamstrings well.

Leg press calf raise - 180kg x 10 x 6 sets

Roll outs for abdominals - 8 reps x 4 sets

Diet was a little more structured yesterday

Meal 1- Sunwarrior powder, flax meal, chocolate coconut butter, cocoa powder - made it into a fudge consistency and at a little for breakfast.

Meal 2- Lima bean stew with vegetables and ramen noodles

Meal 3- Tempeh with broad beans and alfalfa sprouts

Meal 4- Same as meal 3

Meal 5- BCAA's, spirulina, blueberries, espresso

Meal 6- Nitrofusion, kiwi fruit, pineapple, strawberries, all in the blender

Meal 7- 2 tofu sausage rolls, 50g dried Goji berries with cocoa nibs

I'm hoping I can bring my squat up to 200kg in the next couple of months with this program.

Last night I trained with Noah from MVS and had a good session. We trained the bench, squat and some assistance exercises.

The workout was bench press - 60kg x 5

90kg x 3

110kg x 5 x 3 sets - needed a spot on one or two reps, not happy!!

One arm dumbell bench - 30kg x 6

40kg x 6 x 2 sets

Dumbell curls - 20kg x 6

22.5kg x 6 x 2 sets

Skullcrushers - 40kg x 6 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 5

90kg x 3

125kg x 5 x 3 sets - 2nd day in a row I squatted and a mate wants to train legs tonight so I will be over them I think

We finished off with some deadlifts - 90kg x 5 x 3 sets

It was a good workout and we pushed eachother even though the weights weren't huge.

Diet was back on track for the most part

Meal 1 - Sunwarrior protein, added a teaspoon of chocolate coconut butter

Meal 2 - Lentil soup, 2 small rye rolls

Meal 3 - Lima bean stew

Meal 4 - Tempeh, beetroot, alfalfa sprouts, mixed greens, broad beans, broccoli, spinach

Meal 5 - Sunwarrior protein pre workout

Meal 6 - Small serving of protein fudge - Sunwarrior protein, cocoa powder, chocolate coconut butter, rolled flax seeds

Meal 7 - Lentil soup, broad beans, a few vine leaves with rice

It's pretty easy to make - 50g of protein (I used Sunwarrior but any vegan protein would be ok) 30g of rolled flax seeds, 25g cocoa powder (I use Green and blacks organic cocoa powder) and 25g of chocolate coconut butter (made by a company here in Melbourne called Living Earth, it's coconut butter with cocoa added). All you need to do is add a little water and stir all the ingredients up then put in the fridge for a bit.

Sounds like an awesome recipe. Not sure if we have the coconutfat with added cocoa but I bet I can find something to replace it. Coconut butter is the same as coconut fat, right? Do you melt it first? Here in Sweden it's so cold that it's solid in room temperature...or does it soften up while stirring?

I really enjoy reading both your training and diet. Your diet seems to be really clean, you got all the good stuff in there...greens, beans, whole grains, sprouts and some good whole fat sources like cocoa and seeds and then you throw in the supplements and some oils. It's not very often I see people your size eating such a healthy diet, I'm really impressed.

Sounds like an awesome recipe. Not sure if we have the coconutfat with added cocoa but I bet I can find something to replace it. Coconut butter is the same as coconut fat, right? Do you melt it first? Here in Sweden it's so cold that it's solid in room temperature...or does it soften up while stirring?

I really enjoy reading both your training and diet. Your diet seems to be really clean, you got all the good stuff in there...greens, beans, whole grains, sprouts and some good whole fat sources like cocoa and seeds and then you throw in the supplements and some oils. It's not very often I see people your size eating such a healthy diet, I'm really impressed.

Thanks heaps for the compliments, I just try and look at the best ways to eat to grow, I think what I'm doing is working so I won't really change it.

I think the coconut butter is the same as the fat, the one I have sets very easily when the temperature is cold, average room temp it is quite runny but we have warmer weather here.

I want to make the protein fudge too! sounds yummy. is the rolled flax seeds just ground up flax seeds?

Yeah it pretty much is, I actually prefer grinding my own

ground flax seeds MUCH fresher and have a way better consistency for almost any recipe. I cannot even use pre ground to make onion rings. They don't stick. That should say something right there.

Coconut butter is mature coconut included in process oil is extracted or something like that. Or at least that's what i remember the 'artisana' brand jar says on it. Not home right now cannot look at it. But it's def DIFFERENT. One cannot replace the other.

enjoy the recipe!!!

It actually sounds really REALLY yummy just a bit on the fatty side. Which is ok depending on goals i suppose. At the moment, i cannot. Even a reduced recipe from this i should probably not indulge in. But come off season and post comp i'm on it FO SHO! I have cacao powder though, keep it raw

ground flax seeds MUCH fresher and have a way better consistency for almost any recipe. I cannot even use pre ground to make onion rings. They don't stick. That should say something right there.

Coconut butter is mature coconut included in process oil is extracted or something like that. Or at least that's what i remember the 'artisana' brand jar says on it. Not home right now cannot look at it. But it's def DIFFERENT. One cannot replace the other.

enjoy the recipe!!!

It actually sounds really REALLY yummy just a bit on the fatty side. Which is ok depending on goals i suppose. At the moment, i cannot. Even a reduced recipe from this i should probably not indulge in. But come off season and post comp i'm on it FO SHO! I have cacao powder though, keep it raw

LnG - Coconut Butter is sold as Coconut Oil here in the states right? That is what I was planning on using. This sounds like a huge treat for me.

I guess it would be ok on a keto diet but, yeah, not ideal dieting food.

I've busy so haven't trained much in the last few days.

Had a leg workout last Friday- just a few sets of squats and some calf raises.

I squatted 160kg x 3 reps and 4 sets

Standing calf raise 140kg x 12 x 5 sets

Last night I trained back and a little bit of chest.

Parallel grip pulldowns - 50kg x 12

90 kg x 10 x 5 sets

One arm rows - 55kg x 8 x 3 sets

Hammer strength rows - 80kg x 8 x 3 sets - 1 arm at a time

Incline dumbell bench - 55kg x 4 x 3 sets

Bench press - 110kg x 5 x 3 sets

Diet was as usual

Meal 1- Protein fudge - about 20g protein worth, not really counting fat at the moment

Meal 2- Lentil pattie, salad, hummus and 2 rye wraps

Meal 3- Veggie burger from vegan restaurant

Meal 4- Nitrofusion shake, raw food bar

Meal 5- Espresso, BCAA, spirulina

Meal 6- Sunwarrior shake, pineapple and orange juice

Meal 7- Sweet potato pie (mother in law made them, Orthodox easter fasting means plenty of vegan food) a few vine leaves with rice and small bowl of chickpeas

I hate to sound like a meateater, but where is your protein coming from? I do not mean it like a meateater would, but how much protein (approximate) is in each meal. The shakes must have a lot?

How long do you wait between meals? How late do you eat at night? Does this last meal time change pre-contest?

Thanks,

Veg

At the moment my protein is about 150-170g per day, it varies daily in terms of amounts. The lentil burgers have about 22g per serve, the tempeh has 25g per serve, the shakes have 20-25g and the rest is made up from the other different things I eat. I try to get in a lot of calories from fats, like with the oils and avocados I eat- I haven't been writing the amounts here, but I generally have about 15-20g per meal, just under a 1:1 ratio with the protein.

Carbs just vary by the day at the moment but are not very high, the fats are boosting my calories.

I eat every 3 hours or so, post training I eat about 30 mins after my post workout shake but generally every 3 hours.

My last meal is at about 9.30pm, as I train pretty late, it doesn't change when I'm dieting, just the macronutrient ratios

Last night I trained delts and arms, I was going for a pb on the military press so the rest of the workout was pretty relaxed.

I got a 110kg lift for a single which was my pb.

I also did 3 sets of lateral raises and bentover lateral raises - 18kg x 10 reps

Dumbell curls - 22kg x 6 x 3 sets

Barbell curls - 45kg x 6 x 3

Skullcrushers - 45kg x 6 x 3 - more like throat crushers, lowered bar to my neck, strange movement but really worked

Dumbell skullcrushers - 36kg x 5 x 3 - the way I do these is like throwing darts, like a press and an extension movement.

Meal 1 - Nitrofusion shake, 25g almonds

Meal 2 - Ramen noodles, tofu, mixed vegetables

Meal 3- Lentil burger, hummus, green salad, rye wrap

Meal 4- Bowl of chickpeas, mixed vegetables, 1/2 avocado

Meal 5- Espresso, BCAA's, spirulina, ginseng

Meal 6- Sunwarrior shake, banana with chocolate coconut butter

Meal 7- 3 chickpea patties ( I need to get the recipe), 1/2 can of nut meat (peanut and gluten- looks like canned dog food but tastes nice and is high protein) bowl of broccoli with lemon and garlic

I've been quite busy over the last few days hence I haven't been on the forums all that much.

I've still been training and dieting properly so I'll post up what I've been doing.

24-3

Squat day

Warm up - bar x 20

60kg x 20

100kg x 8

160kg x 2 x 6 sets

Deadlifts - 100kg x 3

155kg x 3 x 3

Bench press - 100kg x 3

127.5kg x 2 x 2

Pullups - 6 x 6

Rollouts - 6 x 6 - Only on my knees though!!

Meal 1 - Sunwarrior shake, 15g wheatgrass, handful of mixed berries

Meal 2 - 120g Tempeh, 50g taro, blanched spinach, 15g flax meal

Meal 3 - 50g lentils, 75g chickpeas, mixed salad (lettuce, beetroot, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes), 25g hummus

Meal 4 - 120g Tempeh, broccoli (about 2 cups), 1/2 avocado

Meal 5 - Espresso, ginseng resin (yuck), 15g BCAA's, 20g spirulina

Meal 6 - 10g Rhodiola powder, 25g BCAA's, 10g spirulina

Meal 7 - 75g lentils (cooked weight), 75g chickpeas, hummus, spinach leaves, wholemeal pita bread.

Ate a few "Tart and round" peanut balls after dinner

26-3

Chest & back

Incline bench - bar x 12

60kg x 6

100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Dumbell bench - 45kg x 5 x 3 sets

Safety bar bench - 110kg x 5 x 3 sets - gives a better stretch and more power out of the bottom part of the movement

One arm rows - 30kg x 10

55kg x 8 x 3 sets

T-bar row - 80kg x 10

120kg x 6 x 3 sets

Bentover rows - 100kg x 6 x 3 sets - stood on a box and got a better range of motion

Meal 1 - Nitrofusion shake with juice - pineapple, orange, apple, ginger

Meal 2 - 120g chickpeas, mixed vegetable stew - I soak all my legumes for 10 days with some seaweed and just keep changing the water so they cook quickly and don't bloat. I find lentils and chickpeas are great for when I'm bulking.

Meal 3 - Lentil burger, hummus, spinach leaves, pita bread wraps

Meal 4 - 120g Tempeh, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 avocado

Meal 5 - 15g BCAA, 20g spirulina, Espresso, Ginseng resin

Meal 6 - Sunwarrior shake, glass of pineapple juice

Meal 7 - 3 spinach wholemeal pies, 25g BCAA's, 3 more peanut balls

I'm trying to post some pics up so hopefully I will work it out soon.

enjoy the recipe!!!

LnG - Coconut Butter is sold as Coconut Oil here in the states right? That is what I was planning on using. This sounds like a huge treat for me.

Absolutely not, two completely different things! Don't feel bad, i thought the same thing as well for a couple of years.

Coconut Butter: Coconut Butter

Coconut Oil: Coconut Oil

One is pressed oil the other is ground with meat. I think the butter is mature meat as well while the oil is young. All i sknow is the consistency is way different and recipes that call for butter cannot be susbstituted with oil. Consistency isn't the same at all.

Need to find it at a specialty store. Not all small organic places carry them. Whole Foods usually not as well. CoOps with larger selections and stuff like that yeh or online

29-3

Was a squat day and I threw in some delts and a little for arms.

Clean and press - Bar x 10

60kg x 5

80kg x 3 x 3 sets

Squats - 60kg x 5

100kg x 3

140kg x 3

160kg x 3 x 3 sets

Lateral raises - 15kg x 8 x 3 sets

Close grip floor press - 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Close grip chin ups - 6 x 6 - for biceps

Rollouts - 6 x 3 sets

30-3

Today was chest and back day, I went for a deadlift pb

Incline dumbell bench - 20kg x 15

36kg x 8

50kg x 6 x 3 sets

Bench press - 100kg x 5

115kg x 3 x 3 sets

Swiss ball dumbell bench press - 41kg x 4 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 100kg x 5

140kg x 3

160kg x 3

185kg x 1 - pb

One arm rows - 55kg x 8 x 3 sets

Bentover rows - 75kg x 10 x 3 sets

I managed to work out how to post pics, thanks Sosso.

Here a few from yesterday.

Obviously I'm not in shape at the moment!

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/Kirk1000/IMG_3979.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv3/Kirk1000/IMG_3984.jpg

Oh, I don't use Max's by the way!

Just got the singlet from a mate