Bigger Stronger Fatter

Well, first, food from last night - ate very little, mostly soy yogurt, some strawberries, and raw veggies, all day, so when I got home at 8 pm I began to eat BIG - started off with an appetizer of two plates of nature's burgers, no bread, just pickle, sprouts, and spinach. Then 3 boca patties, the big ones (18g of protein each), a protein shake with about 85g of protein total, and then the crowning glory, while watching Godfather III - a triple decker boca burger, complete with four slices of flax bread, vegannaise, pickle, sprouts, and each soy patty topped with a yummy slice of soy ham. The thing was a monster Came out to a little over 90g of protein.

Dayum son, how do you eat so much and not get rolly polly?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dayum son, how do you eat so much and not get rolly polly?

By training hard Also, that's not a typical night of eating - that's almost a whole day's worth of food condensed into a couple of hours. And if I'm figuring it correctly, it totalled something less than 2,500 calories - I consider about 3,500 to 4,000 to be just about maintenance level for me.

- Eric

Tuesday

Squat

5 x 5 @ 280 First set beltless

Log - not feeling this today

5 @ 113

5 @ 157

5 @ 190

3 @ 210

Stopped there. Did hit a couple reps with the dumblog, right hand only, @ 102 lb.

Pendley Row on Block

5 @ 135

2 x 5 @ 185

5 @ 195

5 @ 200

Underhand grip:

5 @ 200

2 sets of GHR and abs

Then a couple light medleys with the thick-handled farmers and prowler pushes.

Training is looking solid, Ralst! You tied my best stone load when you hit that 365, and chances are, you made it a lot easier than I did (I felt like I was going to have brain damage after battling that one some years back.) Definitely some good numbers you're putting up there - make it known that if you aren't already CA's strongest vegan, you certainly will be soon enough!

Thanks VE I'm aiming to hit the 400 stone sometime this year.

Workout Today:

12" Log

strict:

2 x 5 @ 113

3 @ 163

1 @ 173

push:

3 @ 173

jerk:

3 @ 201

split:

1 @ 231

2 x f @ 251

cardio hell: (clean and press each rep, minimal rest)

5 @ 201

7 @ 163

10 @ 133

13 @ 113

5 @ 113

Dead.

Farmer's

pick only:

2 x 3 @ 125

2 @ 175

2 @ 225

50', no turns:

1 @ 250 no drops, PR - contest weight

30', no turns:

1 @ 280 - made it to about the 33' mark before my grip gave out. Took a second, made the second pick, then my stomach gave out Still a PR for weight/distance

Sled Drag

220 lb on the sled, down and back 150' each way X 2

That's the third workout with conditioning this week. Getting insanely fit

Sunday Training:

Log, clean each rep

3 @ 231 split jerk

4 @ 231 push jerk. Rep PR.

Also did a few singles at various weights. The push jerk, at least right now, is better than the split jerk - problem is that I can't fight out the rep with a split, whereas I can with a push jerk. The last couple reps are invariably going to be poor, and it's easier to do a sloppy push jerk than a sloppy split jerk.

Yoke

3 not so good 50' runs with 615. First set terrible, second and third ok, only one drop each time but damn slow.

Took 565 for a 100' foot run, semi-decent speed, no drops.

Farmers

Barely did these, a short 50' run with 220/hand, and a pick with 320/hand - made it about a step at that weight

Arm-Over-Arm

Much better than previous time doing these. Conditioning and back/grip strength is greatly improved. The pulls were for about 90' each time, I worked up to 1 @ 500+ lb and 1 @ 600+ lb, pulling a sled, so there's no built-up momentum.

Then did some "conditioning" work with a 800 lb tire. Not fun. And pushed the prowler about 40 yards a few times.

Wednesday

Somewhat lacking motivation.

Squat

5 @ 145

3 @ 195

3 @ 235

3 @ 285

belt:

2 x 2 @ 285

5 @ 235

Supposed to be 5 x 5 x 285. Missed that by a bit

Log

5 x 2 @ 190

Solid.

CG Bench

5 @ 135

2 x 3 @ 185

3 @ 155

Also hit a set of five chinups, best I've managed in a while. I should have done more back work, but I'll be in for some deadlifting tomorrow and will hit the rows then.

Another crappy workout.

Axle Deadlift

Worked up to 1 @ 185kg

Reg. DL (grip was about failing on the axle)

Worked up to 2 @ 200kg, tried for a third but missed it

Did a couple sets of stiff-leg deadlifts, 2 x 5 @ 120kg

I was supposed to do rows, but more or less ed with myself by this point - just did a set of GHR and some abs and called it a day.

Sometimes that is the best thing you can do. Next workout will kick ass.

Thanks man. Actually had a pretty awesome workout today

Saturday - Events

Decided NOT to start with overhead for once. Good decision.

Yoke

50' X 475

belt:

50' X 575

50' X 625

No drops on either run. Very happy with that, as contest weight is only 600.

~20' X 715 2 drops Just trying the heavyweight yoke out.

Farmers

A few subpar runs with 275 (Contest weight: 250), grip giving out. I was told they were loaded to 260, which turned out to be a lie

100' X 225/hand, one turn, zero drops. Pretty nice, maybe a PR for distance actually.

Log

1 @ 210

1 @ 230

1 @ 244 PR

1 @ 249 PR

f @ 254

Happy with that. Been gunning for 250 for a while now. Wore my converse shoes, regular push jerk - now I'll have to decide between my oly shoes and the chucks for contest day.

Stones - didn't go super great today, but not bad either. I had a lot of trouble breaking the 300 off the ground. Ended up nailing it for two singles, and 285 for a set of three and a set of four.

Tuesday

Log

3 @ 163

2 @ 203

Hit upon an idea. Clean & Press each rep @ 203, and get to 10 total reps as quickly as possible. Which wasn't all that quickly as it turned out, but I had fun.

Started:

2, 2, 2, 2, 1 (f on 2), 1 = 10, in just under 3:55.

Then, cleaning only once:

2 @ 223 (f on 3)

Then did some front squats:

3 @ 195, 3 @ 235, 3 @ 255, 1 @ 255, 2 x 1 @ 235

Axle Hangs

30 secs, 35 secs, 15 secs + a few chinups/pullups mixed in

Also did some plyos, pendlay rows w/ the axle, and abs.

A lot of "messing around", but a pretty solid workout nonetheless.

Thanks guys.

Thursday

Squat - Converse shoes

5 @ 145

3 @ 195

3 @ 235

2 @ 285

belt:

2 @ 305

1 @ 325

1 @ 335

1 @ 325

The 335 is only 10 pounds under my raw PR, and I'm about ten pounds lighter now, so pretty pleased with it. It was a grinder, but no doubt about making the lift.

Axle Clean & Press

3 @ 123

3 @ 173

3 @ 213 (close to making this a DO power clean, but ended up having to continental it)

f @ 233

Then a power stairs/kettlebell overhead squat/spin bike silly medley thing for a couple of circuits.

Back tomorrow for some light cardio. Just over a week till the comp - I sort of fell down on the conditioning work last week, hoping I'll still come in next Saturday in astonishing (ie, semi-decent) shape. If I don't finish an event I want it to be for lack of strength, not because I can't get a breath

Friday - skipped the cardio, ate potato salad instead

Saturday -

Weight spot on at 238. Eat tight this week, probably stay right around 237-238 until Thursday, drop a few pounds real quick and then hit a restaurant Friday night after weigh-ins

Farmers

Picks only to warmup, then a solid 50' run at 250 (contest weight). Grip fine and I was moving fast (for me). Made it about ten feet with 275, then went back and hit 225 for two 50' runs. Not bad.

Played around with a rolling thunder a bit. Managed a massive 120 with the right hand, only 110 with the left. No surprises there

Yoke - hadn't planned to do this, but my shoulder was a bit iffy from the missed axle on Thursday, so skipped log. A couple beltless 475 for 50' runs, then a belted and decently fast 575 for 70'. Nice.

Finished with arm-over-arm, three ~80' pulls, up to around 550 on the sled.

Feeling good about the run-up to this contest now. One week of rest till it's Go Time

Comp Report -

Yoke & Farmer's Medley - no idea where I placed, but I finished both the yoke and the farmers with no drops for a nice PR. Mark said I was somewhere in the top 5 for that event; don't know if that was right, didn't matter after the next four events.

Log - Don't know what happened. Conditioning was fine, strength was gone. Made one rep and that was it. Big disappointment there.

Car DL - made two reps (after falling over on the first, luckily they still gave it to me). More than I was expecting to get, but I'm pretty sure everyone else got at least three, so first time finishing last in an event.

Arm over Arm - The weight was not as bad as I thought it would be, but the rope was thicker than we'd used in training. There was also some confusion (on my part) at the start leading to me wasting a bit of energy pulling a truck that still had the brake applied. Anyway, grip gave out towards the end, I mishandled the rope, and just wasn't strong enough - made it something like 20 or 30 feet before time ran out. A couple guys didn't do that much better, and only one guy finished, but I think I took last for this event too.

Stones - Again, strength just wasn't there. I lapped the thing about five times, which is good for me, but I only made one successful load. Fell over during this too, luckily the atlas stone landed beside me instead of on top of me. Tied for last on this event, and since I was last going into it, pretty sure I remained there.

Anyways, on to the other details: I weighed in Friday night at 8PM (we were delayed over an hour on what would have been a three hour drive by a traffic accident) at 226, fully dressed and wearing shoes, with my cell phone, keys, and wallet in my pocket. So basically I need to accept that my scale is off - I thought I was around 230, and hadn't eaten/drunk all day, only to find out I was ~7 lbs under the weight limit.

The refeed went badly, with nausea, poor sleep, and some rather painful stomach problems in the morning. With some medication got over that, and had a good first event but didn't feel great most of the day.

I had two events (log, stones) where I did much worse than I expected, but that was balanced out by doing better than I expected on two events (medley, car dl).

So it was a fine day, but the fun of it all was really gone for me by the end due to the contest announcer. He insulted basically everyone, and at the beginning tempered the insults for my being vegan with some odd claim that I must "have a lot of heart, to compete at strongman without meat." Annoying, and it really bothered Em, but I shrugged it off ok. Then, on the last event, he called my name over the microphone. "Vegan". I get up to the stones, and he asks my "Why are you in last place, vegan?" I didn't say anything, then right before the timer begins, he says that I need to eat some beef so I can be strong. I was not happy, swore at him as I started the event: I probably would have been lucky to get an extra load in anyways, given how the day was going, but I do think I'd have a much better chance of making another lift if he hadn't gotten me so upset right as I began. Em also was furious at him.

After I finished, but still during the contest, I went over and told him what I thought of him. Swore a bit more than I should have I guess, but it made me feel a little better at least. The guy was just a tool, and I told him he was a (expletive) poor human being. The guy after me on the stones was having trouble, and the announcer told him he had no business being in the contest. Another guy he told to "show the heteros" how to do it. It's ok (I guess?) insulting people that you know when they're doing well; insulting people as they're struggling with an event is, I think, pretty low..

Anyways, still a bit ticked off. Everyone else associated with the contest was really nice; when the announcer, post-event, came over to "apologize" with his face six inches from mine and saying he just wanted to get me "fired up" (which he did, but in a I want to Scream Obscenities at You kind of way, not a I'll lift much better now type of way), the big, bad, very cool Ricky LaRocca came over to make sure I was ok, which was nice of him. Like I said, most of the guys are really nice, but the one jerk (with a microphone) kind of ruined the fun for me.

Holy crap what at MORON! I would be fuming as well. How the hell do they let that person take the mic and be the spokesperson out of all things???????????!?!?!?!?!?!?

Man, that is messed up.

shake it off my friend. Use it as fuel to add to the fire for next comp and block it all out. People like that don't deserve to even be acknowledged. When I encounter that I try to remind myself that they aren't even worth listening to because they have nothing relevant to say and just let my actions speak for myself. Sometimes they get the better of u sometimes they don't.

Next time brother. Not worth mulling over anymore. People suck sometimes. Don't let them drag you down with em'

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Lean and Green, that's what I'm doing - training so far this week has been really good, got a lot of new motivation out of last Saturday

Here's the contest vid:

You have some mad determination. Your persistence in retrying those lifts is commendable.

And about that idiot, what everyone else said. I have a guy at work who calls me "Grass Eater", but it doesn't bother me anymore. Guys like that can enjoy their ignorance and especially enjoy where it gets them. It must have been difficult though having to deal with that shit during a comp. I would have lost it.

Keep up the good work man!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably you would have been 20% better, if this guy hadn't open his trap... such a thing costs your concentration, and so the injury risks raise, too...

Don't loose your motivation, I think you're doing great - I never could do those heavy weights