Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Golden State Challenge: my second strongman contest
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:25 am 
Site Admin

Dude, awesome!

I want to train with you sometime!

How far are you from Santa Rosa? I'll be there in June.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:14 pm 
Manatee

Thanks Robert. Santa Rose is a little less than two hours from here. If you made it out for some training this summer that would be great.

Training Today:

Well, first, food from last night - ate very little, mostly soy yogurt, some strawberries, and raw veggies, all day, so when I got home at 8 pm I began to eat BIG - started off with an appetizer of two plates of nature's burgers, no bread, just pickle, sprouts, and spinach. Then 3 boca patties, the big ones (18g of protein each), a protein shake with about 85g of protein total, and then the crowning glory, while watching Godfather III - a triple decker boca burger, complete with four slices of flax bread, vegannaise, pickle, sprouts, and each soy patty topped with a yummy slice of soy ham. The thing was a monster :) Came out to a little over 90g of protein.

Thus sated, I entered the gym this morning...

Squat
5 x 5 @ 275 - last four sets belted. Set/rep PR

Log Split Jerk
3 x 5 @ 210 - set/rep PR

Pendlay Row on Block
5 @ 135
5 @ 155
3 x 5 @ 185
3 @ 205
2 @ 225
Underhand grip:
2 @ 225
5 @ 185

The weights over 185 involved less-than-strict form :)

Then did a couple short medleys: 2 X Sandbag Carry, 2 X Chain Drag, 4 X Tire Flip. Nothing heavy - the chain is quite light - but intense enough.

The best supplement for someone who is not eating enough and is therefore not recovering is more food.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 pm 
Manatee

Light day today.

Front Squat
5 @ 135
2 @ 185
2 @ 225
belt:
2 @ 225
2 x 2 @ 245

Axle Strict Press, Cleaning Each Rep
5 @ 83
5 @ 103
5 @ 123

Stones to 46"

The "tacky" from APT sucks. Or maybe my stone loading sucks.

4 x 1 @ 285 - bit rough off the floor, easy loads
f @ 300 - Couldn't budge it, hands kept sliding off it. I tried putting some jack tack over the apt stuff, but that seemed to make the slickness worse.

The best supplement for someone who is not eating enough and is therefore not recovering is more food.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:41 am 
Manatee

Training Day at Fresno: (AKA My Stone Loading is Flipping Awesome!)

We started out with log. I worked up to a couple cleans at 255, beltless and easy, but couldn't get the press - I should have, but jerks were slow today. Still managed a couple/almost three reps at 225, cleaning each rep. Technique was off, still could probably have hit a third rep within the sixty second time limit, so I'll take 3 reps as my lowest expectation of myself come comp time - 4 or 5 would be even nicer.

Then car deadlift - unfortunately, they didn't have the whole setup worked out beforehand, and what we did today may not be the same as what we will do at the contest next month. Anyway, they messed around for a bit with the equipment and ended up switching it to a handles at the sides deadlift, instead of a bar in front. We used a light pickup truck as the weight - with the handles out farther, which should be about equivalent to the weight-in-hands for lightweight, I was able (on my second try) to get one rep. If it ends up being the same weight-in-hands at the contest, I think I'd have a shot at nailing a second rep, if I take a wee break after the first one :)

Next, yoke. Oddly, no one used the farmers (the contest event is a yoke/farmers medley). Thinking about it now, I should have at least done some picks with their implements, to see how they feel. Too late now :) The yoke was pretty comfy - I managed 600 (contest weight) for 50', no drops. Not the fastest at all, but good enough. They're only going to be allowing one drop on the yoke and one drop on the farmers at the contest - the yoke should be no problem, a little worried about the farmers.

The arm-over-arm pull (which will be us pulling a semi-truck) isn't ready to go yet, so we didn't get to try that out.

Lastly, stone over bar for reps. 48" bar. At this point, a lot of the guys had taken off (a couple beastly heavyweights and a lightweight pro), so it was down to the guys from Team Big Sac, Chris Carroll (a good 265 competitor), and a couple of under-200 guys. I made the 300lb for 3 reps, pretty comfy, last load slow, but a rep PR for me. Tyler PR'ed with a 300lber. Then I hit a rep at the 330. Then they brought out the 365.

Chris missed the load, Mark missed the load, then I, surprisingly, lapped it, but also missed the load. Chris then got it, and then I got it too :) Really happy with that, over the moon actually. A bunch of guys started talking shit about being vegan at that point, because Mark's a little too fond of proclaiming me California's strongest vegan ;) Nothing too bad, but I got a little bit annoyed and decided to bring out the 400lber. Gym owner told me no one had ever loaded it there.

Long story short, no one still has ;) But I think with just a little more squeezing power from the arms/chest, I'd have a shot at least at lapping the thing.

Still, happy with the stone PR, and this also is the first time, on any lift, I've gotten a heavier weight than Mark :) It'll be the last for a while, too, I'm sure, but shows that I'm getting better.

- Eric

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:06 pm 
Manatee

Conditioning Work at the gym with Em today, sporting my new sunburn from yesterday:

Medley - 525lb Tire Flip for ~120 feet, equalling 18 flips, and then back to the starting line to grab the wheelbarrow (loaded with 90lb, way too light) and take it the same distance.

The whole thing took 3 minutes. Managed 11 flips in the first minute, five in the second minutes :) The wheelbarrow was nothing, but I was gassed so it was a bit of work just jogging back to the starting line to grab it.

Em had a good workout: she did a couple medleys, with a tire tire she used to struggle to flip and now is too light, and she equalled her old pr on log, and just missed on a couple attempts at a new pr. If she keeps training consistently 100lbs should fall soon, 90 went up smooth today.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:35 pm 
Elephant

ralst wrote:
Well, first, food from last night - ate very little, mostly soy yogurt, some strawberries, and raw veggies, all day, so when I got home at 8 pm I began to eat BIG - started off with an appetizer of two plates of nature's burgers, no bread, just pickle, sprouts, and spinach. Then 3 boca patties, the big ones (18g of protein each), a protein shake with about 85g of protein total, and then the crowning glory, while watching Godfather III - a triple decker boca burger, complete with four slices of flax bread, vegannaise, pickle, sprouts, and each soy patty topped with a yummy slice of soy ham. The thing was a monster :) Came out to a little over 90g of protein.

Dayum son, how do you eat so much and not get rolly polly? :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:20 pm 
Manatee

Fallen_Horse wrote:
Dayum son, how do you eat so much and not get rolly polly? :D

By training hard ;) Also, that's not a typical night of eating - that's almost a whole day's worth of food condensed into a couple of hours. And if I'm figuring it correctly, it totalled something less than 2,500 calories - I consider about 3,500 to 4,000 to be just about maintenance level for me.

- Eric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:03 pm 
Manatee

Tuesday

Squat
5 x 5 @ 280 First set beltless

Log - not feeling this today
5 @ 113
5 @ 157
5 @ 190
3 @ 210

Stopped there. Did hit a couple reps with the dumblog, right hand only, @ 102 lb.

Pendley Row on Block
5 @ 135
2 x 5 @ 185
5 @ 195
5 @ 200
Underhand grip:
5 @ 200

2 sets of GHR and abs

Then a couple light medleys with the thick-handled farmers and prowler pushes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:08 am 
Stegosaurus

Training is looking solid, Ralst! You tied my best stone load when you hit that 365, and chances are, you made it a lot easier than I did (I felt like I was going to have brain damage after battling that one some years back.) Definitely some good numbers you're putting up there - make it known that if you aren't already CA's strongest vegan, you certainly will be soon enough!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:41 pm 
Manatee

Thanks VE :) I'm aiming to hit the 400 stone sometime this year.

Workout Today:

12" Log
strict:
2 x 5 @ 113
3 @ 163
1 @ 173
push:
3 @ 173
jerk:
3 @ 201
split:
1 @ 231
2 x f @ 251
cardio hell: (clean and press each rep, minimal rest)
5 @ 201
7 @ 163
10 @ 133
13 @ 113
5 @ 113

Dead.

Farmer's
pick only:
2 x 3 @ 125
2 @ 175
2 @ 225
50', no turns:
1 @ 250 no drops, PR - contest weight :)
30', no turns:
1 @ 280 - made it to about the 33' mark before my grip gave out. Took a second, made the second pick, then my stomach gave out :? Still a PR for weight/distance

Sled Drag
220 lb on the sled, down and back 150' each way X 2

That's the third workout with conditioning this week. Getting insanely fit ;) :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:33 pm 
Manatee

Sunday Training:

Log, clean each rep
3 @ 231 split jerk
4 @ 231 push jerk. Rep PR.

Also did a few singles at various weights. The push jerk, at least right now, is better than the split jerk - problem is that I can't fight out the rep with a split, whereas I can with a push jerk. The last couple reps are invariably going to be poor, and it's easier to do a sloppy push jerk than a sloppy split jerk.

Yoke
3 not so good 50' runs with 615. First set terrible, second and third ok, only one drop each time but damn slow.
Took 565 for a 100' foot run, semi-decent speed, no drops.

Farmers
Barely did these, a short 50' run with 220/hand, and a pick with 320/hand - made it about a step at that weight :)

Arm-Over-Arm
Much better than previous time doing these. Conditioning and back/grip strength is greatly improved. The pulls were for about 90' each time, I worked up to 1 @ 500+ lb and 1 @ 600+ lb, pulling a sled, so there's no built-up momentum.

Then did some "conditioning" work with a 800 lb tire. Not fun. And pushed the prowler about 40 yards a few times.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 pm 
Manatee

Wednesday

Somewhat lacking motivation.

Squat
5 @ 145
3 @ 195
3 @ 235
3 @ 285
belt:
2 x 2 @ 285
5 @ 235

Supposed to be 5 x 5 x 285. Missed that by a bit ;)

Log
5 x 2 @ 190

Solid.

CG Bench
5 @ 135
2 x 3 @ 185
3 @ 155

Also hit a set of five chinups, best I've managed in a while. I should have done more back work, but I'll be in for some deadlifting tomorrow and will hit the rows then.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:42 pm 
Manatee

Another crappy workout.

Axle Deadlift

Worked up to 1 @ 185kg

Reg. DL (grip was about failing on the axle)

Worked up to 2 @ 200kg, tried for a third but missed it

Did a couple sets of stiff-leg deadlifts, 2 x 5 @ 120kg

I was supposed to do rows, but more or less disgusted with myself by this point - just did a set of GHR and some abs and called it a day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:24 pm 
Manatee

Sometimes that is the best thing you can do. Next workout will kick ass. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:24 pm 
Manatee

DCNINJA wrote:
Sometimes that is the best thing you can do. Next workout will kick ass. :twisted:

Thanks man. Actually had a pretty awesome workout today :)

Saturday - Events

Decided NOT to start with overhead for once. Good decision.

Yoke
50' X 475
belt:
50' X 575
50' X 625
No drops on either run. Very happy with that, as contest weight is only 600.
~20' X 715 2 drops :P Just trying the heavyweight yoke out.

Farmers
A few subpar runs with 275 (Contest weight: 250), grip giving out. I was told they were loaded to 260, which turned out to be a lie ;)
100' X 225/hand, one turn, zero drops. Pretty nice, maybe a PR for distance actually.

Log
1 @ 210
1 @ 230
1 @ 244 PR
1 @ 249 PR
f @ 254

Happy with that. Been gunning for 250 for a while now. Wore my converse shoes, regular push jerk - now I'll have to decide between my oly shoes and the chucks for contest day.

Stones - didn't go super great today, but not bad either. I had a lot of trouble breaking the 300 off the ground. Ended up nailing it for two singles, and 285 for a set of three and a set of four.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next