apple's log

So I need something more to keep me from falling off the bandwagon because I keep getting that "I'll do it tomorrow" attitude and I'm definitely looking to change that. A training log sounds like just the thing.

Currently doing P90X. Starting over since I took like a week off when I went to mom's.

Feeling especially wimpy in strength right now. 80% of pushups were on the knees, all pullups were with bands. Le sigh. Probably need more fuel. Going to use all the names that the P90X worksheet uses, since I don't know any other names for the exercises, lol.

chest and back day:

standard pushups: 15, 13

wide front pullups: 20, 20

military pushups: 15, 11

reverse grip chinups: 20, 20

wide fly pushups: 13, 10

overhand pullups: 20, 20

decline pushups: 13, 11

heavy pants: 12, 10 (with band)

diamond pushups: 12, 10 (form mostly dead on the last one)

lawnmowers: 15, 13 (band)

dive bomber pushups: 13, 7

back flys: 13, 13 (band)

goals: get strong enough to do a real freakin pullup. the band is hardly any work at all.

Today was a major get-off-my-butt day. I feel fantastic right now!

Ran 4 miles, 6ish mph

P90X--Shoulders and arms: 10 pound weights on everything, except the moves I couldn't do (just went through motions flexed, with no weights)

alternating shoulder presses: 10, 10

in&out bi curls: 10, 10

2arm tri kickbacks: 10, 10

deep swimmers presses: 10, 10

full sup curls: 10, 10

chair dips: 20, 15 (last 3 were crazy hard)

upright rows: 10, 10

static arm curls: 16, 16

flipgrip twist tri kickbacks: 10, 8

2angle shoulder flys: 8, 10. couldn't do shoulder fly at ALL while leaning forward. felt weak

crouching cohen curls: 10, 8

liedown tri extensions: 8, 8

in&out straight arm shoulder flys: 10, 10. again, couldn't do shoulder fly to the side, only forward. felt weak again lol, what muscle am I missing here?

congdon curls: 10, 8

side tri rises: 15, 10

And finished with ab ripper X. Got all the way through that one without stopping to take a break this time! Felt strong

I immediately chowed down on a huge tofurkey, lettuce, and vegannaise wrap after I finished all this.

today: ran 2 miles in 19 min. still sloooow! usually takes me like 25 minutes though, lol. planning on running a marathon in January, so definitely upping the speed along the rest of my workouts. Broke a really good sweat though, so all is good.

next: p90x stretch for ~1hr today. not a huge fan of the kempo dvd...I think I must be too uncoordinated to get those moves right. will be supplementing all skipped cardio exercises with running!

next: p90x stretch for ~1hr today. not a huge fan of the kempo dvd...I think I must be too uncoordinated to get those moves right. will be supplementing all skipped cardio exercises with running!

The Kenpo workout is as much about balance and coordination and flexibility as it is about cardio. I'd highly recommend struggling through it at least a few times. You'll see improvement pretty quickly. "Uncoordinated" just means those muscles aren't used to working in concert yet, but you can certainly train them!

The Kenpo workout is as much about balance and coordination and flexibility as it is about cardio. I'd highly recommend struggling through it at least a few times. You'll see improvement pretty quickly. "Uncoordinated" just means those muscles aren't used to working in concert yet, but you can certainly train them!

okaaaaay...I'll give it a go. haha notice the excitement? Probably will have to wait til thursday, though...I have to be at work for 11 hours tomorrow so I have little hope of working out.

legs and back workout: no weights

balance lunge: 15 each leg

calf raise squat: 20

reverse grip chin up: 20 (band)

super skater: 15 each leg

wall squat: 80 sec

wide front pull up: 20 (band)

step back lunge:15 each leg

alternating side lunge: 24

close grip overhand pullup: 20 (band)

single leg wall squat: 1 min (30 sec per leg)

deadlift squat: 15 each side

switch grip pullup: 20 (band)

three way lunge: 30

sneaky lunge: 16

reverse grip chin up: 20 (band)

chair salutations: 30 sec (freakin hard)

toe roll iso lunge: 20 each leg

wide front pull up: 20 (band)

groucho walk: 40 sec

calf raises: 25 in, 25 center, 25 out

close grip overhand pullup: 20

80/20 speed squat: 20 each leg

switch grip pullup: 20 (band)

plus ab ripper. about 1hr 15min.

I really hope to start doing some real pull ups soon and not pulling down the band. Will take that achievement as real progress when it happens. No running today...it was rainy and I'm a wimp unless it's warm and rainy.

By the end of the day I will have eaten:

3 small bananas

1 apple

1 c calcium fort. orange juice

3/4 c total cereal

1/2 c lite soy milk

1 large whole wheat pita

2-4 oz falafel

1/2 c spinach

1 c romaine lettuce

1/2 small cucumber

3-4 slices green pepper

1/2 cup couscous

1/4 c tvp

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

6-8 dried figs

2 medjool dates

1/2 oz peanuts

Calculators put this at about 1750 calories, 64g protein, 341g carb, 26g fat. This is quite a lot for me but I'm trying to up my calories since I'm adding strength training to the mix. I wouldn't have been able to do this if my uncle hadn't taken me to the pita pit for lunch!

Any suggestions on the diet? This is about 300 more calories than I can usually find in a day, so I'm open to suggestions from anyone.

Might want to up the protein a bit based on the P90X recommendations, but it's up to you. They want you on a high-protein diet to help pull off as much fat as possible at the beginning of the program. If you're already at a low bf%, you can get away with less, since this isn't really a heavy-lifting program.

And aren't chair salutations fun?

The glutes are pretty sore today, as are whatever those muscles on your shoulders/back are, so instead of high intensity stuff I took a nice long walk today.

I need to concentrate on not getting too skinny, as I can now see my collarbone straight across from the top of my chest to the tips of my shoulders. So I'm making more of an effort to up my calories, specifically protein. The 80/10/10 thing is nice, but I'm practically to the underweight point right now, so it might have to go on hold.

So today:

breakfast

2 bananas

1 apple

snack

soy milk

lunch

1/2 cup couscous

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1/2 cup parsley

dinner

1.5 cup romaine lettuce

1 cup arugula/spinach mix

2 cup broccoli

1/2 cup carrots

3 tbsp dried cherries (yummm)

2 tbsp light cranberry walnut vinaigrette

1/2 cup red lentils

1/4 cup nutritional yeast

1/4 cup fresh dill

1/4 cup fresh salsa

hot sauce

(I know, it's a weird combination. was tasty, but I'll probably have to tweak it a bit to make it better)

I'm going to have a full bag of popcorn once I stop feeling so ingly full. Today will total approximately 1800 calories, at about a 70/20/10 ratio. Question: do you guys, when you're bulking, have to eat past the point of being comfortably full? I have such a hard time doing that, but if I don't, I swear I eat about 1400 calories a day.

Today I meant to just take a quick 3mi run and be done with it, but it was such a nice day out that I didn't want to stop once I got started! I ended up running 7.5 mi. 75 minutes...so 10 minute miles. I are good at math

Shooting for 2000 calories today. Wish me luck...

Might want to up the protein a bit based on the P90X recommendations, but it's up to you. They want you on a high-protein diet to help pull off as much fat as possible at the beginning of the program. If you're already at a low bf%, you can get away with less, since this isn't really a heavy-lifting program.

And aren't chair salutations fun?

So I took your advice and flat out doubled my protein. Mostly with lentils and tvp! I noticed a HUGE difference in my recovery time already--after running 7.5 miles I was prepared for the entire day after being full of sore legs, especially considering that I was still sore from the legs/back workout when I went running. But my legs felt great yesterday! Thanks for the advice

So this morning I did the chest and back again, won't go into all the numbers. On the back flies and lawnmowers I upped the weight to 12# and did 10 reps. AND I tried doing some push ups without my knees on the floor I know. I did 5 reps that way and 10 reps on my knees for the first three, maybe four rounds of push ups. THEN I tried some real pull ups (not the band) and did about 1 in which I ACTUALLY could pull my whole chin above the bar, and then five where I aaalmost got it back up there. And then went to the band so that I could continue with the workout.

So, I'm definitely progressing!! Going out to run (probably just 4mi) before it gets any hotter. It's crazy humid outside today!

So I took your advice and flat out doubled my protein. Mostly with lentils and tvp! I noticed a HUGE difference in my recovery time already--after running 7.5 miles I was prepared for the entire day after being full of sore legs, especially considering that I was still sore from the legs/back workout when I went running. But my legs felt great yesterday! Thanks for the advice

Lentils are great for healthy energy. Ironically, I'm actually considering lessening my protein consumption for more energy since I've been feeling tired during P90X month 2. Just goes to show that different people have different nutritional needs for different activities. Some of the best advice I've gotten on this forum is to find what works for you and stick with it, whether it's 80/10/10, 60/20/20, or 30/50/20. A little trial-and-error isn't a bad thing.

And congrats on the recovery and the running. It sounds like you're definitely putting the effort in, so your results should be terrific.

Oh god, I have the mental energy to run a marathon right now, but not the physical energy. I have been hard pressed for time so I have been eating more nuts for protein, and all the beans I've eaten have slowed down my digestion and just made me incredibly sluggish in general. Carbs are my only friend.

It really sucks because I wanted to run 3-4 mi today and only eked out 1.5 miles before I got really tired, but I'm too frustrated with like, everything else in my life to have let it all out in 1.5 miles. I needed to do some upper body training today, too, but...no energy. I feel like I'm going to explode because I WANT to do it all right now, but I can't.

I'm having a seriously terrible day. I can feel it all in my chest and my throat right now, but I have no way to let it out.

Alright, so I swear I didn't give up completely! I just had to go to mom's for a few days (to finish taxes, lol). I'm leaving for Boston today to visit a friend and watch the Boston Marathon (aunt and uncle are running!) and see the sites. I already found three vegan restaurants I want to hit up, so I'm pretty excited!

Training for the past week: 3mi run, 2mi run, 3.5 mi run. No real strength training

Today: 3.2 miles for my hokies!

mmmm I already went to TJ's and DELICIOUS!!!! I also went to My Thai Vegan Cafe which was equally amazing. I'm hoping to go to Grasshopper's today and hit up the chinese food that people have been talking about.

I'm back home now! Grasshoppers was SOOOO good. I can't even describe how MUCH food they gave me though. I ate less than half of it but I still had a stomach ache afterward from so much fooood.

I...I think I need to fast for like three days just to let this food pass through me. I definitely don't usually eat this kind of food typically (vegan coconut 'beef' with vegetables, vegan pizza, vegan thai 'pork' with eggplant...vegan cake EVERY DAY)...so I'm a little stopped up right now, haha...

Workout regimen resumes tomorrow, people! I'm crazy motivated after watching the elite runners finish the boston marathon at such high speeds. I really want to get faster!! That can only come after I finish digesting all this food that is STILL in me.

started second phase today. chest, shoulders and triceps...lemme tell you, my triceps must be WEAK as hell. I got halfway through the workout and I felt a sharp pain right above my elbow on my right arm (the arm with impingement syndrome in the shoulder) and decided to stop. I'll be trying again with lighter weights on the next round, but for now I'm gonna let my triceps rest. I'm also worried that my form might have had something to do with the pain I felt. Hoping it was just a short term "stop what you're doing" kind of pain, and not an injury kind.

It's a great workout though! I wish I could have done the whole thing, but it seriously should just be called "triceps" because that's all I feel burning right now!! The slow motion push ups were killer. I'm also not ready for the one-armed push ups--should they be done with your body weight shifted over the one arm, or is the point of it to try and do it with the same form as a two armed push up?

Off to take a 4mi run today, and then I'm going to make a quinoa and kidney bean salad for dinner.

It's a great workout though! I wish I could have done the whole thing, but it seriously should just be called "triceps" because that's all I feel burning right now!! The slow motion push ups were killer. I'm also not ready for the one-armed push ups--should they be done with your body weight shifted over the one arm, or is the point of it to try and do it with the same form as a two armed push up?

Yeah, CST is interesting. It actually has some great exercises. I find that P90X as a whole is a bit too heavy on arms and light on chest, but at least this routine has a better push-up variety.

The one-armed should be done however is most comfortable for you. I find putting my arm slightly to the side of center (right side for right arm, left side for left) at about chin-height and twisting my torso the other way works best. Not twisting all the way vertically like you would with a T-push-up/side arm balance, but just enough to shift your center of balance over your arm.