Joel's training journal

Looking Sweet in the pics

Thanks Mary Stella!!

like the arms and the back wideness!

what's max's? never heard of it.

Thanks mate.

Max's are an Aussie supplement company, they mostly make whey proteins. I am friends with one of their reps and he gave me a few t-shirts and singlets, they're comfortable but I don't particularly like the brand.

No training yesterday, had to leave work early with a migraine and spent a lot of time sleeping.

All I ate for the day was one meal of tempeh, avocado and broccoli and a sandwich with chickpeas, a veggie pattie and salad. I managed to get a Nitrofusion shake in too but I didn't really feel up to eating.

Feeling better today, training with the MVS guys tonight so am looking forward to that.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a workout with the guys at MVS last night.

Did the usual bench, squat and deadlift's and I set another pb on my deadlift.

I didn't really keep track of my warm ups, so I'll just post my working sets.

Bench press - 120kg x 3 x 3 sets

Deadlift - 190kg x 1

Squats - 160kg x 2 x 3 sets

It was good to get back to training with MVS, trying to fit it in can sometimes be hard but they are motivating me to get stronger all the time.

Diet for yesterday

Meal 1 - Nitrofusion protein and a small bowl of oats with berries and chocolate coconut butter.

Meal 2 - Dark rye bread with chickpeas, lentils, hummus, kale and broccoli

Meal 3 - 120g tempeh, 2 cups broccoli, 1/2 avocado, 15g pumpkin seeds

Meal 4 - Same as meal 3

Meal 5 - Sunwarrior protein shake

Meal 6 - post workout - 120g tempeh, 50g chickpeas, beetroot, spinach leaves, 15ml macadamia oil

Meal 7 - 120 chickpeas, mixed green salad, 10g BCAA's

that looked real easy. you'll lift 200 in no time.

Agreed. Nice lift, Joel.

From the video, it looks a little like you're trying to start the lift with your hips way too low - as you start to pull, your hips rise first (naturally), to the position where you're strongest and should be starting from anyways, and from there the bar flies right up. Might be worth trying some pulls with your hips starting at a higher position (where they're at when the bar leaves the ground in this video) It might help a bit, depending on how much effort you're expending with the hips lower down - some guys like to get real low then raise their hips up before beginning the pull, and that's fine. But if you're wasting energy trying to lift the bar with your hips low like that, you'll probably find it a bit easier starting with the hips higher.

Thanks Johan, I'll go for it in the coming weeks. Got to get 195 first.

Sweet pics dude Lefty? I am as well

Looking swol bro.

I'm taking all the advice that you and dcninja threw my way. Need to process it this weekend and implement next week THANKS!

Nah, more right handed mate, I am just trying to find the best hand positioning for the deadlift

I think the t-shirt made me look bigger than what I am!!

Let me know if you have anymore questions mate, now's the time to ask

Agreed. Nice lift, Joel.

From the video, it looks a little like you're trying to start the lift with your hips way too low - as you start to pull, your hips rise first (naturally), to the position where you're strongest and should be starting from anyways, and from there the bar flies right up. Might be worth trying some pulls with your hips starting at a higher position (where they're at when the bar leaves the ground in this video) It might help a bit, depending on how much effort you're expending with the hips lower down - some guys like to get real low then raise their hips up before beginning the pull, and that's fine. But if you're wasting energy trying to lift the bar with your hips low like that, you'll probably find it a bit easier starting with the hips higher.

Agreed. Nice lift, Joel.

Thanks Ralst, I agree with you completely. I will work on it with the MVS guys, they've been giving me deadlift advice too as it is my weakest lift.

I appreciate the tips mate, you're the man for lifting heavy weights

I love the guy in the video that just keeps saying EASY everytime you lift something.

Nice job!

Ha ha, it's like the spotters that shout "push" when you're bench pressing!

It's like "I am pushing, what do you think I'm doing?"

That's funny

I love the guy in the video that just keeps saying EASY everytime you lift something.

Nice job!

That's funny

i like that motivation stuff. a guy i used to train with always shouted "pull! pull!" when we were bench pressing and from one second to the other all concentration was gone cause i was always thinking "no i won't you freaking idiot!!".

My ex (training buddy) and I used to yell Coleman stuff like "ain't nuttin but a peanut", after a while we just yelled PEANUTS but in Swedish (Jordnötter), it kept me going for a few reps

BTW, yesterday I drank coffe and took BCAA at the same time, Joel-style

Nice job!

That's funny

I usually start "commenting" back to my spotter although sometimes words don't actually come out it is just sounds.

i like that motivation stuff. a guy i used to train with always shouted "pull! pull!" when we were bench pressing and from one second to the other all concentration was gone cause i was always thinking "no i won't you freaking idiot!!".

A good spotter will motivate, a bad one just stands around stating the obvious while you're clearly lifting with all you have.

My ex (training buddy) and I used to yell Coleman stuff like "ain't nuttin but a peanut", after a while we just yelled PEANUTS but in Swedish (Jordnötter), it kept me going for a few reps

BTW, yesterday I drank coffe and took BCAA at the same time, Joel-style

I like that sort of supportive commentary, at least they know you're trying and are being supportive!

Ha ha, espresso's and BCAA's, best pre workout supplements ever!!

I usually start "commenting" back to my spotter although sometimes words don't actually come out it is just sounds.

Just Branch Warren style grunting ha!? lol

Had a busy weekend so haven't updated my journal for a couple of days.

Friday was a short workout as I had to finish up at the shop and fit in a workout before I started my shift at the gym.

Just did some squats and a little bit for shoulders and abs.

Seated dumbell press (no back support) - 15kg x 12

25kg x 6

33kg x 5 x 3 sets

Squats - bar x 15

60kg x 10

100kg x 6

140kg x 4

165kg x 2 x 3 sets

Standing calf raise - 160kg x 10 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 6 x 3 sets

Didn't keep track of exactly what I ate on the weekend but Friday night was a refeed meal, had a vegan pizza from a vegetarian pizza place not far from where I live.

Wasn't able to really train over the weekend, had a migraine Saturday afternoon and into yesterday so I spent most of my time resting.

Managed to eat a couple of meals of tempeh, black quinoa, spinach, cherry tomatoes and avocado and a couple of Nitrofusion shakes, didn't feel all that hungry though. I seem to get these headaches more than I would like, could be hereditary as they run in my family but I'll make sure I keep getting enough minerals and stuff in my diet.

I seem to get these headaches more than I would like, could be hereditary as they run in my family but I'll make sure I keep getting enough minerals and stuff in my diet.

I used to get a ton of headaches and they went away when I cut caffeine out of my diet years ago. You can use try using Yerba Mate when u need it.

Hey buddy. Cant wait for you to post pre-contest diet and workouts. This stuff is hard "mate". Im so an Aussie now. HA HA

As long as you add 'mate' to the end of every sentence you'll sound just like an Aussie!

Yeah my diet starts pretty soon, the show is in October and I like to give myself a few months to prepare. I'll post it all up as I go along.

Keep it up mate, you're nearly there.

I used to get a ton of headaches and they went away when I cut caffeine out of my diet years ago. You can use try using Yerba Mate when u need it.

You are probably right there, I will look for something else, like the Yerba Mate, to have instead of my pre workout coffees. The headaches are enough to stop me from training and I can't have that!

I haven't trained since Friday as I have come down with the flu. The headache has gone but I'm just weak and keep coughing. Not really eating much, mainly just having toast with a bit of hummus and protein shakes, I don't have much of an appetite.

Hopefully I will be able to get back into the gym in the next couple of days because it's frustrating not being able to train!

Thanks MaryStella and Nathan, will check it out this week as I've only just got back to training.

Finally got back into the gym, the flu really knocked me around, the joint pain was what really made it hard to get back to training.

Had a workout last night, chest, back, arms, calves and a little abs.

Bench press - bar x 12

40kg x 10

60kg x 10

100kg x 5 x 3 sets - felt heavy

Dumbell bench press - 45kg x 4 x 3 sets - stopped the dumbells at bottom of stroke and then powered up, need to work on the bottom part of the movement and then will get back to floor presses to work the top part.

Pullups - 6 x 3 sets

Deadlifts - 100kg x 5

140kg x 3

160kg x 2 x 3 sets

Close grip floor press - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets - Again tried to power up the positive stroke

EZ bar curls - 35kg x 6 x 3 sets

Skullcrushers - 45kg x 6 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 8 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets - I love these, just balancing is hard. Put 10kg plates on floor so I can get a stretch in the calves.

Have finally managed to get some proper meal consistency in again - have lost 4 kg this week because I've had no appetite.

Meal 1 - Nitrofusion shake, flax meal, strawberries

Meal 2 - 60g tempeh, 60g nutmeat, spinach, broccoli (about 5 small heads), black quinoa (50g), 1/2 avocado

Meal 3 - Same as meal 2

Meal 4 - Dark rye toast with chickpea (100g chickpeas) and quinoa salad - black quinoa, mixed greens (spinach, kale, lettuce, beetroot), macadamia oil (10ml)

Meal 5 - 15g BCAA, 3g creatine (back on it now), ginseng resin, 10g Spirulina - have to take the ginseng on it's own as it is vile tasting and use the spirulina and BCAA's to wash it down. No coffee today, have not had it for a week, going to take MaryStella's advice and try Yerba Mate.

Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake, electrolyte tablet (still sweating a lot even though I didn't do all that much - the salts reduce my migraines too I think)

Meal 7 - Same meal as meal 5 - Kept the carbohydrates up because I feel really depleted.

Glad to be back to normal now though.

Yeah it's awful mate!

Back in the gym yesterday, legs and a little back, shoulders and abs

Squats - Bar x 15

60kg x 8

100kg x 5

140kg x 3 x 3 sets - Felt a bit weaker on the squats today, the weight just felt a lot heavier than what I was doing previously, didn't push it too hard.

Dumbell squats on box - 54kg (x 2) x 5 x 3 sets - Box is about a foot high, am able to go very deep, like I do with barbell squats anyway but standing on a box using dumbells forces me to keep my feet close together and I think helps build power out of the bottom part of the movement.

Jump squats - 60kg x 3 x 3 sets

100kg x 2 x 1 set

Dumbell shoulder press, no back support - 22kg x 6

33kg x 4 x 3 sets

Bentover rows on bench - 70kg x 10 x 3 sets

Rollouts - 8 x 3 sets

Barbell calf raises - 60kg x 15 x 3 sets - I like this exercise. Free weight version of standing calf raises, standing on 10kg plates for better stretch. Apart from the balance issue, it really gives my calves a good workout.

Diet

Meal 1 - Pita bread, chickpeas (80g), hummus, nut meat (50g), spinach - just made some wraps. A change from my usual liquid breakfast

Meal 2 - 3 slices of black bread, bowl of lentil soup, added in some extra kidney beans (50g)

Meal 3 - Nitrofusion shake, spirulina, flax meal

Meal 4 - 120g tempeh, 50g nut meat, 50g black quinoa, 2 cups broccoli, spinach leaves

Meal 5 - 15g BCAA's, 15g spirulina, 3g creatine, no coffee again

Meal 6 - Nitrofusion shake (got to get some more SunWarrior!), 15g spirulina, 3g creatine

Meal 7 - Small bowl of lentil soup, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato, kale and black bread toast (2 slices), 10g BCAA.

Glad to have my appetite back, still looking depleted though, hence my carbohydrates are higher at the expense of some of the fats I normally eat. I'll drop the carbs and bump the fats up as soon as I manage to start filling out again.

You might actually feel worse before you feel better with the caffeine withdrawal symptoms. I had a headache everyday for about two weeks but I was a pretty serious caffinator back then. But once I got over those headaches I almost never get them anymore and when I do they are so much less severe than they used to be. Glad you got your appetite back, I thought I ate a lot of food, you eat a ton!