need help making a bean burger

Chaohinon

Today I made an epicfailburger, in an attempt to try to avoid using non-whole food ingredients

I started by sauteing about a cup of baby portabellas, diced red onion, and a few cloves of garlic, then mashed this together with 15 oz black beans. Of course this mixture by itself was way too sloppy too work as a patty, so I threw in some pumpkin seeds to try to dry it up. While this did work, the addition of nuts seems to completely overpower the other ingredients. I was really hoping for mushroom/black bean/onion/garlic to be the dominating flavors.

And frustratingly, most of the bean burger recipes out there seem to call for flour, corn starch, or something of the sort. I really want to avoid filling the patties with all of that empty starch, if possible.

Does anyone have a recipe for a good bean-based patty?

That's a tough one!

I like to do chickpea-burgers instead. They don't need any starch at all. Soak them over night and process them in a food processor afterwards. Add spices, onions whatever and fry them in a pan on both sides for about 7-8 minutes on medium high heat - otherwise they won't be digestible. Hope this helps.

I hear ya about not wanting to use flour. I normally put in garbanzo bean flour as most recipes I've seen only call for a small amount when you divide it among the burgers your getting from the recipe. I find it at my grocery store but I a sure health food stores have it also.

I use rolled oats (sometimes reduced to a coarse flour with help from the blender) to help my burgers stick together.

The trick with using rolled oats is to let your mixture sit for a bit, so the oats have time to soak up the moisture and become soft.