Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nathan's HIT Training
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:25 pm 
Manatee

Saturday's workout. It was tough, especially since I biked to work, biked home, biked to the gym, worked out, then biked back. Oh, and I worked for a total of 10 hours that day. Next workout is legs so I'll have to bus when I do that. :lol:

Dumbbell Flys
20s x 10
25s x 8
40s x 7
Superset with...

Incline Press
110 x 4

Front Raises
25s x 5

Pec Dec
65 x 5

Triceps Extensions
70 x 7
Superset with...

Dips

Supersets kill. Dips after triceps is HARD. And the incline press was tough. It's hard not having a training partner to help me out lately. I like the extra motivation. I'm going to try to keep the same basic structure of the workout but use different exercises each time, trying to keep Bench Squat and Deadlift as reoccuring parts of the program. It's all an experiment right now but I'm feeling good about it.

Went four days between workouts, cutting it back to three now. Four was good, but I think my ability to recover is solid at 3-2 days. I'll wait 3 days for legs, then do another cycle of training with three days inbetween. If that goes well, I'll cut it down to 2 days. If that works I'll keep it at there. If I'm hurting, I'll stick to 3.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:36 pm 
Gorilla

Glad to see someone else bikes everywhere and buses...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83cdJbztw3g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lEUynhgMg8

The reason is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk?, but Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham 1748 - 1832

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:22 pm 
Manatee

Had some soreness in my back, went to the doctor's and they told me to lay off the weights for a week. So that's what I'm gonna do.

Lower back issues suck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 pm 
Manatee

BACK IS HEALED. Well, mostly. I might have a section of my spine that is bent in a weird way, giving me the weird posture I have. Just got x-rays and will hear back in a week or so. Reguardless, hit the weights hard today. Oh, and being away from the gym got me to tighten my diet which is great. Being careful about what I eat now and being aware of the portion sizes.

Workout:

Dumbbell Flys
10lb x 12
15lb x 10
20lb x 8
Supersetted with...
Incline Press
90lb x 4
110lb x 7

Lateral Raises
10kg x 10
10kg x 10

Pec Dec
60lb x 8

French Press
65lb x 7
Supersetted with...
Dips

Despite being away for two weeks or so all of my numbers are up, and my form wasn't terrible. It's getting much better.

Meals:

8:05 Oatmeal
1 cup Oatmeal (steel cut oats, walnuts, organic raisins, cinnamon, sea salt) + 1/4 scant cup of frozen wild blueberries, thawed

1:40 Sushi
1 avocado cucumber roll (6 pieces) with 3 inari and a small salad with a slice of tomato and soy ginger dressing

3:50 Shake
1 serving Tropical NitroFusion.

6:04 Veggies and Rice
About 1 cup and a half (maybe more) of defrosted California/winter vegetables with a touch of salt and some flax oil. 3/4 cup brown rice with braggs and 3 meatless chicken strips.

11:50 Apples
2 large apples.

I am also drinking 1 litre of Yerba Mate and a cup of Yogi green tea as well. Water with every meal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:58 pm 
Manatee

Diet is still steady. Eating a lot of the same meals (rice and veggies / oatmeal / shakes) but now I've incorporated 2.5 tablespoons of Nutritional yeast a day. I haven't been taking any B supplements, and I don't want to. Rather chow down on some ol' fashion yeast. Still rockin' the tea.

I started IBUR (Interval Build Up Running), but since the track was closed, I did this on a stationary spinner bike. Same thing really, since it's just a modified HIIT routine. It goes like this:

1A: Jog (30 secs)
1B: Sprint (20 secs)

2A: Jog (60 secs)
2B: Sprint (30 secs)

3A: Jog (90 secs)
3B: Sprint (40 secs)

4A: Jog (120 secs)
4B: Sprint (50 secs)

5A: Jog (150 secs)
5B: Sprint (60 secs)

6A: Jog (180 secs)
6B: Sprint (70 secs)

Total time: 15 minutes.

IBUR killed me. I loved it. Took me a good while to catch my breath and make sure I wasn't going to let lose a torrent of pre-digested food. The article it is mentioned is is here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:50 pm 
Manatee

Had an okay day at the gym. Felt like my back did good but I was pretty easy on myself in regards to my arms. I'll correct that next time. Good thing was I saw a friend from elementary and he helped me out with my deadlift form. Still not comfortable doing them with any significant weight, but I'll get there. I'll be practicing in the mirror until I get it right.

Pullovers
30 x 12
35 x 10
40 x 8
50 x 6

Close-grip Pulldown
120 x 5

Machine Row
70 x 8

Shrugs
60 x 8

Barbell Curls
35 x 5 (Right Arm)
35 x 3 (Left Arm)
30 x 2 (Left Arm)

My diet wasn't all that great today. All the meals were solid (good food, good portions) but I was up working last night so I really screwed myself up for timing the meals. I woke up at 1PM so I didn't end up fitting all my meals in (1 meal short today), so that sucked.

Real IBUR on the track this Tuesday. Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:22 pm 
Manatee

IBUR KILLED. It was awesome though. I'm sure people thought I was crazy because I was grunting when I was sprinting, haha. During my last jog the janitor of the building looked at me and said "You're slowing down, eh?" I laughed but I really wanted to punch him out, just had no energy, haha.

My caloric intake has been pretty low lately, but so far I'm still feeling alright. I'll get around to posting pictures of my meals and get a real number for how much I'm really eating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm 
Elephant

Nathan Nearing wrote:
IBUR KILLED. It was awesome though. I'm sure people thought I was crazy because I was grunting when I was sprinting, haha. During my last jog the janitor of the building looked at me and said "You're slowing down, eh?" I laughed but I really wanted to punch him out, just had no energy, haha.

My caloric intake has been pretty low lately, but so far I'm still feeling alright. I'll get around to posting pictures of my meals and get a real number for how much I'm really eating.

Yeah I bet IBUR killed! I love doing that kind of stuff cause after 20min or less you done. Hey I responded to your inquiry about chewable creatine in the "ask a supp store employee". In my opinion its okay. No animal products from what I see on the label bro. I hope I was not too harsh, but my name was brought up and I had to defend myself because I DID look at the label closely before I ever bought them. If you have any workout questions or what supps Im taking feel free to PM me.

Keep up the sprints! They will do wonders for your hams and overall strength and power!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:44 pm 
Gorilla

I got to get back to HIT, my best size gains came from training like you are mate. Just keep busting your gut in the gym and the strength and size will keep coming

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:25 am 
Elephant

I never followed the exact science just implemented ideas but this blog is super informative Nathan. You're on the right track. Keep it up!

Sorry I cannot comment further. Need to rest up. Just wanted to show some love before I retired for some shut eye.

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:49 pm 
Manatee

I'M BACK! Big update. School's been keeping me busy, but my last class is monday, and after tomorrow it's just two small projects and I'm done for another year!

Just finished at the gym. Did Legs. I tried running to catch the bus but all I could do was hobble, haha.

Squat
45 x 10
115 x 10
165 x 8
185 x 7
Supersetted with...
Leg Extension
120 x 5
Supersetted with...
Leg Curl
100 x 7
Supersetted with...
Calf Raise
160 x 9

Crunches
220 x 8
180 x 10

Getting a hang of squats. Got up to 185 today and got super low on some of them. Supersetted four exercises today and man, did it kill. I looked at myself in the mirror though and saw some nice definition. It's nice seeing a shape coming out, haha.

Diet is consistant still as well. 1500 calories everyday for the last two or three weeks. It's rough but it's only for a few months, then I'll probably bump it up to 2000. I've been overlooking my diet for too long and it's time to get it in check.

Picture posting time! I was looking in the mirror at the gym and decided it was time for my first comparison pictures. Been training since October, but only seriously on track with diet and exercise in the last month and a half. First set were taken in 2007. I wasn't vegan and was a slob, haha. Next set was taken today.

Keep in mind I'm working out maybe an hour a week (usually 45 minutes). It's only up from here baby!

Before

Now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 pm 
Elephant

Dude that's a wide frame you got going on!!!!!!!!!!! I'm Jealous!

NICE improvement. You're gonna rock man; keep at it as i'm sure you will.

I would comment on the smiling but you're obviously smiling in the afters rightfully so :D :mrgreen: 8)

Your package ships tommorrow and expect to receive by May 1st the latest.

Thanks again brother for your support and rock that spirulina when it comes in ;)

Joelk wrote:
But as long as people stay away from our cooler bags with our meals and not ask silly questions, we're all pretty tame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet man! Putting on muscle for sure!

Catch up later....all the best!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:32 pm 
Manatee

Today was a write off. I was going to do IBUR but my legs still kill. I did Chest, Tri's, and Shoulders today.

Dumbbell Flys
15s x 12
20s x 10
25s x 5

Incline Press
110 x 1
90 x 1
70 x 4

Lateral Raises
15s x 8

Pec Dec
50 x 6

French Press
60 x 8

Dips

I had a hard time supersetting, and my numbers are down on incline like crazy. I hope soon I can superset the French Press with Dips. It's so hard to do. Every time I get to the dips I do two and just die. Every though all that wasn't the way it should have been, I felt good afterwards. Couldn't make a phone call for too long because my hands/arms were shaking and super heavy, haha. IBUR Sunday hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:42 pm 
Stegosaurus

Your training log looks great. don't some hard work I love it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next