Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Breast Implants
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:04 am 
Elephant

MollyMormon wrote:
Great topic. I am on the fence. I want them but am afraid of the long term results, maintenance, and all that stuff.

I've found that results depend on the surgical technique and the type of implants. Silicone is better, IMO and under the muscle looks more natural, especially if you plan on competing at at lower body weight. Keep in mind that's only my opinion from the top of the bed, I've only worked with about 20 surgeons and they are the ones with the most important answers. If you've had children and/or breast fed then you may want to consider a mastopexy along with the implants. Finding a surgeon who cares about making them look natural can be a challenge, depending on where you live. There is no maintenance although you cannot work out for 4-6 weeks afterwards and you may need a different type of mammogram. I've heard that they last an average of 10 years but I have yet to see the flood of 10 year implant updates you would expect if they really only lasted that long. The biggest complaint I've heard is that women wish they had gone bigger. There can also be loss of sensation on the underside of the breast but women don't notice it after a few months. Costs can range from a few thousand dollars to over ten thousand depending on the area of the country, added procedures (such as a mastopexy), the reputation of the surgeon and the economy. Plastic surgeons are hurting right now so if you were ever to get a discount it would be in the current economy.

As for the scare campaign about silicone implants in the 90s, some great investigative work was done by 60 Minutes to uncover that the studies and "harmed patient groups" were paid for and organized by a group that was a cover for the very lawyers who brought the class action suit(s) against implant manufacturers. This, of course, never made the same headlines that the scare campaign did and it took about a decade to get silicone implants back on the market. We've been implanting various silicone devices in patients for decades with no problems. But you take a bunch of young women with diffuse symptoms, a group of lawyers, a company with deep pockets and mix them all together - you find a class action lawsuit in there.

If you have the money and the desire to get implants then go for it! I've watched some of my friends absolutely blossom with new self confidence afterwards, especially those who have been small most of their lives.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:17 pm 
Rabbit

MollyMormon wrote:
Great topic. I am on the fence. I want them but am afraid of the long term results, maintenance, and all that stuff.

Yep..personlly I'll wait till the stem cell ones come down in price ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:10 am 
Elephant

But really, there is no point in belittling a subject broached with sincerity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am 
Stegosaurus

I think people should do whatever they want to with their bodies but personally I would never. I find it a disgusting idea. Usually you can tell they are fake. There are health issues to consider for the rest of your life not just the surgery. You Have to sign health waivers to participate in certain athletic events such as fighting as they can rupture upon impact. Although it is probably unlikely it is still a risk to think about.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:32 pm 
Rabbit

Marcina wrote:
I like my boobs just the way they are. They may be small but they're the same size, round, perky, and nice proportion to my ass.

Mine are definitely not in proportion to my ass! But I like them alright anyway...it just makes me a little more self-conscious about the booty--so aside from extreme dieting, the only real way I could see to balance it all out would be implants. But I pretty much try not to worry about it, since I'm not really interested in unnecessary surgery.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 pm 
Gorilla

As a guy, I find implants repulsive. I'll take a natural body any day, even (especially) if the butt is out of proportion. ;)

However, that's only my personal opinion. One point of view from a random guy, which many don't agree with. More important is how the implants make the woman feel. If, as DV said, they give her better self-esteem and confidence, who cares what anyone else thinks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:54 pm 
Rabbit

blabbate wrote:
As a guy, I find implants repulsive. I'll take a natural body any day, even (especially) if the butt is out of proportion. ;)

However, that's only my personal opinion. One point of view from a random guy, which many don't agree with. More important is how the implants make the woman feel. If, as DV said, they give her better self-esteem and confidence, who cares what anyone else thinks?

:D

I would mostly hate to spend all that money and energy (and body!) only to find out that they didn't make me happy at all. I think it's my lack of a risk-taking mentality that has kept me from even considering it. How would a woman know beforehand if it was something that would make her happy? I actually think if were to ever do it, it would be because I finally caved to the "this is how women should look" pressure that drowns so many women nowadays--which is definitely not what I want. I know I wouldn't WANT my self esteem and confidence to depend so much on something physical.

But of course, I'm a woman, so I can empathize with the other women who have picked through their every "flaw" and felt the need to fix it...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:48 am 
Site Admin

I'd like some breast implants as a stress reliever. I just mean the actual things themselves that get put in, I don't mean that I want them put into my chest. Have them as a paperweight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:51 am 
Site Admin

+1 I could use some too! :)

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:40 pm 
Gorilla

I don't mess with the surgery room for cosmetic reasons, not worth the risk or the money. But those are my boobies, whoever else wants to get them it's their decision. I still try to convince my friends not to because I care about them. I just do what I can to take care of mine and that's all.

I also like natural bodies: no surgery, no make up, no crazy hair treatments. But that could just be me 'cause I think I look awesome enough 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:35 am 
Site Admin

Lena01 wrote:
those are my boobies, whoever else wants to get them it's their decision.

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:37 am 
Gorilla

Richard wrote:
Lena01 wrote:
those are my boobies, whoever else wants to get them it's their decision.

:shock:

:lachmal: No, you know I'm talking about the implants. Not my boobiess.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:51 pm 
Finch

G'Day,

I have been meaning to join this forum for a while and this topic is the reason I took the plunge finally.

Just wondering if anyone has considered if implants are actually 'vegan' in their makeup?
I am told that animals are tested upon by many companies that produce implants, such as the LD50 tests (Lethal Dose 50).
So, I am guessing that makes breast implants anti-vegan?

Looking forward to peoples thoughts on this matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:50 am 
Site Admin

I would have thought that the anesthetic and any other medication and medical tools involved will also have been tested on animals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 am 
Gorilla

I read yesterday that women with implants are much more prone to reject their own collagen. Sort of like an autoinmune disease... That's f...ing scary :zwangsjacke: